Charging system dont seem to be working... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Location: San Clemente CA. Yes Cali. I ride about every day of the year!!
Unhappy Charging system dont seem to be working...

ok I am having to put my Duc on a battery charger every week. I really dont think that this is a good thing. I know that I can hook my MultiMeter up to the bike and find out if my bike is charging, but I cant seem to figure out how. (I dont believe I just admitted that...)

Does any one know how to test if the alternator (Alternator? Do we have alternators or are they called something else?) is putting out a charge or if my battery is just toast.

Any Ideas? Any one fought this battle of the batteries before?

Its a 98 ST2 witht he 2 valve 944cc engine if that helps any.

Mike

You my son are a totaly unique person. Just like every one else in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 06:14 PM

I'd have the coils checked. One or both could be bad.

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:49 PM

Is it the original battery? Did you keep it charged this winter? I would get a hygrometer and check the battery. If it is 4 years old like the bike, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the problem.

Then again, another thing you can do is hook your multimeter up to the battery terminals, BEFORE you start the bike, and read the voltage. It should be around 12. Start the engine and read the voltage with it running. It should be around 13-14. It has to at least be higher than 12 to be charging the battery. If it is not higher than the battery voltage before you start, you are not charging. You may have to rev the engine SLIGHTLY when you take the reading, as the alternator may not be putting out much power at idle, though it should be enough to be more than or equal to the battery voltage. Revving the engine should put the alternator output to it's maximum and at least make the difference in voltage more noticeable.

The alternator provides all of the power to the bike when it is running. The battery is mostly for starting and "reserve" power when the bike is not running. I would think that if your lights continue to burn when the bike is running, but the battery just kind of dies over a few days and doesn't have enough power to start the engine, then it is probably a good candidate for a new battery, as it is most likely not holding a charge.

This is a problem I have not had yet on a bike, but all the time on aircraft and cars and lawnmowers, etc. Since you don't have an ammeter, and to install one would be more of a pain in the @$$ than it is worth, try the voltage game.

Good luck!

I'll never get over Macho Grande

Last edited by Bobas; 05-14-2002 at 10:21 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 09:50 PM

P.S.

Sorry, I didn't see you lived in calif. I guess you didn't put the bike up for winter.

I would start by checking the charge system as I mentioned in the last one.

I'll never get over Macho Grande
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:04 AM

The '98 ST2, like many other pre-'99 Ducs could have problems with the charging system. Here's a link to a webpage of an ST2 owner who had a similar problem caused by a bad voltage regulator.
http://home.houston.rr.com/rcee/ducati/
click on "voltage regulator" in the menu for his account of the situation.

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 07:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
Also if you are running the battery test mentioned above keep in mind that some older ducks don't charge at all below 3000 rpm.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
H.S.T.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 01:51 PM

http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/Inp...echTipsID=3475

This is a great tip site for Regulator-Rectifier problems on Ducatis. A big problem on Ducatis is the 2 or 3 wires that come from the stator (alternator) and back into the regulator go through a white plastic snap together connector. Over time this nice little part melts down and your bike will no longer charge. The cure for this is to take out the plastic connector and replace it with heavy ten guage wire.

Don't ask me if the connector on my bike ever had a meltdown-but AAA does a good job towing bikes.

Bring lawyers, guns and money to get me out of this.

Last edited by 748*2Risk; 05-15-2002 at 09:40 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2002, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Location: San Clemente CA. Yes Cali. I ride about every day of the year!!
thanks guys. i finally have a ong weekend so I am tearing the plastic off my duc and will start checking wires. I hope it is just a connector. That would be SO easy to fix.

Mike

You my son are a totaly unique person. Just like every one else in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode