Maintenance and costs? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Maintenance and costs?

How much does it cost to maintain a Ducati 748, 916, 996, 998? Full breakdown. Say if I bought a brand new 2002...or if I bought a 1997 916 with 10K on it. I am leaning toward new/used 748 or used 916.

I am interested in purchasing a Ducati for pleasure and would like to get a grip on prices before I come to conclusions.

Thanks in advance.
Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 02:48 PM

The desmo 4 valve engines are a bit expensive to maintain. A respectible shop generally charges $550-$700 for valves and other customary maintanence. The 2 valve engines in contrast are about $150-$350 for the scheduled stuff. I guess the big question would be this: Are you purchasing a 4 valve ducati for you or your ego?

Go with a 2-valve motor, your wallet will thank you.

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I am purchasing it for myself, I do not think I have an ego, I would like a nice bike. That is it. If I am willing to pay for a 2002 Jap bike, why not go 2-3 years older and get something nice for the same price.

I wanted to know the costs for service of these motorcycles. I wanted to know increments and prices (6K mark, 20K etc.), considering I do not beat on it, which a Ducati wouldn't do.

If I had an ego I would buy an F4.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2002, 05:43 PM

Look, first you have to learn to recognize sarcasim. Second, if you are considering a Ducati 9XX or a Honda F4. Go with the F4. They are completely different bikes. With the Honda you can buy matching flip-flops and baseball cap and park in front of the local Sonic and tell everyone how fast you are..........

See that is sarcasim

Now. The Ducati has to be maintained at normal intervals. You stay within that. you will be fine. As you will see from my previous posts about the estimated costs.

I do still question your reasons for wanting a desmo. You have to ask yourself what you are using it for. They are not comfortable, nor do they make a good 1st bike. Your reference between two completely unreleated bikes concerns me and any self-respecting ducati owner.

Either way, buy what makes you happy.

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

LOL, see I was being sarcastic...I was talking about the Augusta <sp> F4.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 04:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider
Cool HaHa!

Quote:
Originally posted by performula
If I am willing to pay for a 2002 Jap bike, why not go 2-3 years older and get something nice for the same price.
Something nice? LOL, my friend, Jap bikes are just as nice as any Ducati. Besides, 2-3 years? That's 2-3 years someone's been rag'n on that bike. Just adding my $0.02

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:09 PM

Thumbs up Do the work yourself... Save $$

Most of the work on a Ducati is just like any other bike, with the exception being the valves. With a good service manual you can change the oil, adj the chain, change plugs, tires, all the light bulbs and all sorts of the "little" things that creep up. This will save you a load of money when you keep the bike out of the shop. I have the shop do the major service to keep the bike up to snuff (valves-fine tune) or if the work is a must for warranty sake. I am no expert on motorcycles but have owned three Ducks and a slew of others, you just need to look for the right place to buy parts from. Mail order is the way to go for parts as your local Ducati dealer will put a hurting on you most of the time. Let me know if you need any other help.

Last edited by 748*2Risk; 05-06-2002 at 09:19 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:26 PM

I don't know if they are still running it, but Ducati had a deal going where if you bought a 2001 or older from new dealer inventory you got 2 years/10,000 mi maint for free (labor, anyway). That covers all your warranty and is worth about $1600 if you burn all 10,000 in the 2 years.

I'll never get over Macho Grande
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2002, 10:12 AM

I thought that it also came with two years worth of Chiropractor visits.

South Central Race Center
Dunlop, Bridgestone & VP Fuel
www.scracecenter.com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2002, 07:41 PM

Hey Kawi Jm

Hey Kawi Jm,
I thought guys from Texas were tough. If your back would hurt from a Duck you need a scooter not a bike.

Steers and .............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode