more horse power - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

more horse power

I have a 748 and although the handling and style are great, the motor is a bit weak. What can i do besides adding an exhaust and gettin a k&n filter? Please help, must go faster!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2002, 08:21 AM

Cool More CC's

I don't mean to bash at all but the 748 is a small bike and unless you want to bump compression up and do all sorts of things to sacrifice reliability, the only suggestion i have for you is to buy something with more power. Might i suggest you buy an R6 or a GSX-R 600? Lots of power and still great handling. The only problem is that it is not a Duck! Otherwise, more cc's is always the rule for more power.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 02:05 PM

Smile

Hi Nickelli, Read your comments on your duck. Perhaps you could get your hands on the SPS model, one of which my bro owns, and he has it chipped together with termis and the k and n filter kit. He says his makes 106 hp at the rere wheel, thats up about 15 on the standard bike. It comes with special floating disc brakes that even the 748r does not have. It also has extra light wheels and superior suspension parts. I do not know if you can get this model easily in the states, my brother lives in Ireland. Best of luck. Daithi:

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Banned

don't get discouraged by duc haters.you can get a pretty good hp gain with a full system,chip,and or a power commander.as well as the air filter that fast by ferracci recommends(i forget what it's called though).that whole 600 crap is bull....!you have a small hp disadvantage but torque out the wazoo.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

I ordered a set of microns yesterday (may not be here for up to 3 months)and if you have it could you give me the ferracci website. How much hp does the power commander add and with this the filter and the ehaust, will i be able to tell a big difference?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 07:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Billy2stroke Send a message via Yahoo to Billy2stroke
You got a Duke my friend...

I agree with iccarref1026
your advantage is in the power deliverly. Aren't twins easier to ride fast? If you want to go faster ride like Troy Bayliss's team mate or get NOS That'll suprise a few 600's.

Honestly Get NOS its not that expensive.

Broomstick-Motorcycle-Jousting State Champ '96
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 07:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Well although I hate the saying, there is no replacement for displacement. Making serious horsepower from a small motor requires serious cash. How much power are you looking to make? What about the bike makes you feel like it's under-powered? Are you trying to wheelie it in 3rd gear without effort? Tell me what aspect of the bike's performance you aren't happy with and I'll do my best to tell you how to get what you want.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 10:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
The 748 is a very capable bike compared to the 600cc bikes. With the new exhaust and a remap the bike can put out comparable hp and, as mentioned, better torque.

They don't handle quite as well right out of the box but can be made to with very little effort. If you already have the money to buy one then upgrading shouldn't be a mojor issue.

The last couple of years the 600cc bikes have surpassed the 748 so its days are somewhat numbered if Ducati doesn't get to work on it. Hopefully they will. I'm not a big fan of the 916 series but I do like the 748.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

I guess what i really want is enough hp to be able to compete with the regular 750s, i ride with all 600s and i feel like performance wise we're all neck to neck. I know that i have alot more torque and that is what the twins are known for but i spent so much money already that i really want something to show for it. i just got rid of a 98 gixxer 600 and this is the biggest bike i've bought yet, i guess i was just expecting a little more ooooomph in 4th-6th. Should've bought the RC51!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by Nickelii
I guess what i really want is enough hp to be able to compete with the regular 750s, i ride with all 600s and i feel like performance wise we're all neck to neck. I know that i have alot more torque and that is what the twins are known for but i spent so much money already that i really want something to show for it. i just got rid of a 98 gixxer 600 and this is the biggest bike i've bought yet, i guess i was just expecting a little more ooooomph in 4th-6th. Should've bought the RC51!
Well yeah, what you want is more torque and that is the hard thing to get out of a small motor. Small meaning bike motors in general. You can have the head ported and polished, higher compression ratio which can be done by a number of means, cams etc. but when you add up all that cash, yeah, you'd be better off with a bigger bike.

If I were you I'd just through a bigger sprocket on the rear. This will give you more torque in every gear and the only draw back is that you'll find 1st and 2nd gear will be very short. It's the most practical way to accomplish what you want.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode