Monster VS SV650 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gixxerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Torrance, CA , United States
Posts: 346
Monster VS SV650

Now this may be the wrong place to place this, and suzuki's forum may be the wrong place also.... so then where should i put it?

anyhow on to the question.. im torn between the two..

lets here the ups and downs between the two..

sv 650

ups..

great price
(everybody says) its a fun bike,
reliable (im sure)

downs..

smallish rear tire
not many mods can be made
small aftermarket following (exception fairings)
only a 650

ducati monster

ups...

comes in , S4, 750, 900, 620, etc
great handling
its a ducati

downs..

umm.. price
service is expensive
what else..


lets hear it,


jaycee

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
gixxerboy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: N/A
Posts: 36
Re: Monster VS SV650

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxerboy

sv 650

downs..

not many mods can be made
small aftermarket following (exception fairings)
Umm... I wouldn't be too sure about that one. I thought there were plenty of aftermarket items available for the sv, especially since it's a very popular track bike.
Abos is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Resident Smartass
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Columbus.OH 43207
Posts: 1,429
My wallet will agree- the aftermarket for SV's is huge!
I've ridden a M900 (2-valver) and was hugely unimpressed. An S4 will cost at least $10K; you can easily put together an $8K SV that'll eat it's lunch.

Suck mean people!
Tristan is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 07:05 PM
Registered User
 
VFRSQUID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West side baby!!
Posts: 282
http://www.cmgrc.com/frames/affiliate527.html

"I got your Big Mac right here!!"

~Ronald
VFRSQUID is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gixxerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Torrance, CA , United States
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally posted by VFRSQUID
http://www.cmgrc.com/frames/affiliate527.html


i went there, i didnt get it..

and about the aftermarket for the sv, maybe i was a little hasty in what i said, let me try and reword it,

i guess i meant for the average consumer.. with the exception of fairings and exhaust, whats else is there.. i guess i just see the host carbon fiber, ohlins gear, etc that come closely knit with ducati,

i posed this question with no biases.. just to see what everybody thought, i sincerely like both bikes.. and have seriously considered buying both..

and 1 thing, i dont really like fairings on the sv, its kinda cool, but i'd leave it naked,

jaycee

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
gixxerboy is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 08:33 PM
Registered User
 
RayO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: San Jose, CA USA 95125
Posts: 256
There are LOTS of aftermarket parts for the SV650. What are you looking for? There are body parts (hugger, undertail, belly pan, lower fairing for the S, mini-fairings for the naked - are you sure you're ready for the constant blast at speed?, lots of carbon fiber if that's what you want), engine mods (oversize cylinders/pistons, cams, etc), mirrors (a necessity for the naked model IMHO), front fork and rear shock upgrades, etc.

The rear tire is smallish, but it matches the bike's cornering capabilities for quick turn-in. There are lots of choices in its size.

I've never ridden a Ducati, but the SV has that 90 degree V-twin engine, a wet clutch, a good chassis, and Suzuki reliability. Only real problem is the front forks. You'll need stiffer springs, thicker oil, and maybe some dampening fixes unless you weigh less than about 160 pounds.

BTW, at 45 you'll wish you were 30, but by 50 you'll just be glad you're not 60. Don't know yet what happens after that.
RayO is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Registered User
 
Lt.Gustl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Westchester,NY,USA,
Posts: 120
The wish of "Eating a Monster" on an SV is a common one among owners of the bike,

$8k is a waste of money for an SV, when you could buy a new EX250 and roast the majority of posers riding 916s in the twists.

although an old guy on a M944 who has been part of the marque since the bevel drive SS can catch one out on a new gixxer,

But all other things being equal and removing rider skill, the two bikes are quite different,

Frames,
the SV has a frame similar to the TLs which wasn't that good for the motors output.
the Monster has a frame similar to that of the 851/888,916/996 which has won lotso' WSB titles.

Suspension,
the SV has a budget suspension, with skinny rightside-up forks, and skinny tires.
the Monster 900 has decent suspension, and take offs from 916s can be bolted on cheaply, and if you want a single sided swingarm it is no problem either.

Wheels/tyres,
for the Ducati you can get 916 take offs as well, or you can get those Di-mag carbon wheels and try your luck,

Engines,
Stay away from the liquid cooled Ducatis, they like to break, the air cooled engines have been around forever and will still provide the go, although not as much of it, but a 900 will get more than a 650

Appearance,
you can decide that for yourself, I think it an easy choice,

Resale,
Motorcycles are not good investments, but there is always that fool that will buy the bike in the ad that says " over $30k to duplicate, best offer over $15 grand, no looky loo's "just 'cause it's a Duc,
older SVs have held their value well as it is cheaper to buy a TLs or SuperHawk,

your question is a good one and I would like to see a stock SV650 against an M620ie on the track, along with a Hawk GT(if any are left stock)


here are some links that may be of use,

http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/

http://www.amasuperbike.com/classifi...at&catToShow=a
Lt.Gustl is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gixxerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Torrance, CA , United States
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally posted by RayO
T

BTW, at 45 you'll wish you were 30, but by 50 you'll just be glad you're not 60. Don't know yet what happens after that.

Lookin fwd to it and life!

thanks for your input.

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
gixxerboy is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
gixxerboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Torrance, CA , United States
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Gustl
The wish of "Eating a Monster" on an SV is a common one among owners of the bike,

$8k is a waste of money for an SV, when you could buy a new EX250 and roast the majority of posers riding 916s in the twists.

although an old guy on a M944 who has been part of the marque since the bevel drive SS can catch one out on a new gixxer,

But all other things being equal and removing rider skill, the two bikes are quite different,

Frames,
the SV has a frame similar to the TLs which wasn't that good for the motors output.
the Monster has a frame similar to that of the 851/888,916/996 which has won lotso' WSB titles.

Suspension,
the SV has a budget suspension, with skinny rightside-up forks, and skinny tires.
the Monster 900 has decent suspension, and take offs from 916s can be bolted on cheaply, and if you want a single sided swingarm it is no problem either.

Wheels/tyres,
for the Ducati you can get 916 take offs as well, or you can get those Di-mag carbon wheels and try your luck,

Engines,
Stay away from the liquid cooled Ducatis, they like to break, the air cooled engines have been around forever and will still provide the go, although not as much of it, but a 900 will get more than a 650

Appearance,
you can decide that for yourself, I think it an easy choice,

Resale,
Motorcycles are not good investments, but there is always that fool that will buy the bike in the ad that says " over $30k to duplicate, best offer over $15 grand, no looky loo's "just 'cause it's a Duc,
older SVs have held their value well as it is cheaper to buy a TLs or SuperHawk,

your question is a good one and I would like to see a stock SV650 against an M620ie on the track, along with a Hawk GT(if any are left stock)


here are some links that may be of use,

http://www.cowin-tech.com/ducati/

http://www.amasuperbike.com/classifi...at&catToShow=a

its kinda of funny, ive considered everything you guys have said, ive thought about this alot.. i wish i had a few thousand more, so i can have both an RC 51 and a duc monster.. if i buy a monster, i will keep it for a long time, as i plan to have a "triqued" out one.. single sided swingarmed monster sounds just gravy right now..

and the hawk gt is something ive even considered... seen a few under 3 grand, with only 12 thousand or so miles.. course there 12 years old.. we'll have to do some more research on those.. thanks for the websites..

jaycee

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
gixxerboy is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 04:50 AM
Moderator
 
RCjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Kingston, TN USA 37763
Posts: 5,474
Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I don't know about some of the previous comparisons but I do know what a capable SV will do and an $8K SV will not be touched by many bikes. A Superstock SV will run better lap times than a base 916 around most tracks in the SE region with Expert club racers at the controls. An $8K Superbike spec SV doesn't get touched by much at the track and definitely not anything Ducati puts on the street aside from a 998 SP in capable hands. A well sorted 748 could hold its own. There are tracks that the SV will get worked over a little but not that many and definitely when it comes to the tight twisties.

I can't come close to the speed through technical twisties on my RC-51(Supersport race prepped) as compared to my wife's completely stock SV650. If I had the money to upgrade the suspension and race prep it then that is what I would race.

In defense of the Monster Ducs they are capable street bikes and do have a good aftermarket plus carry alot of style. On the street it is the rider anyway so if the bike is even marginal but has a good rider then the performance on the street will not matter. The single sided swingarm does look good on them.

When it comes to opened up, high speed, high horsepower sweepers then the SVs and the smaller Monsters are going to get left behind. The big Monsters can hold their own in those situations.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
RCjohn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome