New Bostrom new to Ducati - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

New Bostrom new to Ducati

Hello all,I'm new here and to Ducati's. I am waiting for delivery on new Bostrom purchased over the net...first net purchase, first Duc,and first news group post. Hopfully bike will arrive next week.I Want to know all about break-in, best oils after breakin etc. what to watch out for type of things.
Since I bought over the internet from an out of state dealer can anyone suggest a dealer to handle services to comply with warranty. I live in northern Connecticut,Southern Mass.area between Hartford and Springfield. I have not ridden in about 20 years,first wife of 22 years did not want me to ride,second wife of 6 months really doesn't have much of a choice,I've missed riding for all those years. First bike was '70 Honda 350SL,second was '76 R90S BMW. Last was Yamaha TZ750 that was mainly ridden on the street and a little track time at Loudon and Bridgehampton as a novice.....but anyways I always did my own work back then and would like to do as much as I still can and I need to know everything about Ducati's now. Both wives and rest of my family say I'm anal about things. Thanks for now any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Founder

Welcome to SBW. I hope someone told you the rule we have around here that any 998 owners must let the SBW webmaster ride thier bike for at least a week to join.

I've never owned a duc and live on the other side of the country so I cannot help you with prep or dealer info, sorry.

P.S. You lucky bastard.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:58 AM

Most guys in New England will tell you that BCM Ducati in Laconia, New Hampshire is the place to go. It's a few hours drive from where you are, but probably worth the trip. The owner, Bruce Meyers holds maintenance classes when his schedule allows. Here's a link to the website: http://www.bcmducati.com/

Good luck, and enjoy that fine ride of yours!

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 07:16 AM

I owned a 1995 900SS SP for 5 years of trouble free riding.

Just keep the valves adjusted every 6K mi. after the break-in tune up and use REDLINE OIL. Change oil and filter every 3,000 mi. at a minimun.

However, for at least the first 1,000 mi used a break-in oil which could be any petroleum based 10-40 or there abouts.

Keep your coolant clean and fresh.

Ride it at least once a month to keep oil on the cam bearings.

Since you have a very rare bike I recommend that you get some after market body work on it ASAP. Re-sale will be greatly enhanced with pristine factory body work attached! Besides, you will be able to enjoy it more if you aren't constantly paranoid about scuffing you bike.

If you go for after-market modifications (which is probably not necessary) keep all stock parts. A stock bike sells easier.

Don't wave to anyone while riding. We have to keep the image, ya know

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 08:24 AM

Welcome to SBW, and can we see some pictures of that bike when you get it?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all that have replied.Just talked to trucking company possibly might have for this weekend,will send pictures if I can figure out how to. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode