Ducati recalls 2001 bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Ducati recalls 2001 bikes

Ducati is recalling almost its entire 2001 range for attention to a clutch cylinder problem. The only bike it doesn’t affect is the 748R, which uses a slipper clutch.

The cylinders on the rest of the range are prone to leaking, which could potentially make the clutch jam. Ducati has stocked its dealers with replacement cylinders and written to owners recommending they put their machines in for the work to be carried out. Spokesman Luke Plummer said: " We have had no reports of clutches jamming. It is a standard safety recall. "

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Spokesman Luke Plummer said: " We have had no reports of clutches jamming. It is a standard safety recall. "
The clutch lever froze on my brand new '01 M600. Seized slave piston. I'm also having troubles with plug fouling (carbon build-up = too rich). Maybe someone has an idea what that's about? I know I'm not using too much choke, so I would guess it has to be poor spark or carburetors out of adjusment? I've read that carbureted Monsters run lean from the factory, so plug fouling doesn't make much sense.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 06:43 PM

Actually, not all 2001 slave cylinders need to be replaced, just checked.

As for running lean from the factory - what have you been reading. Every bike I have run into lately has been running rich from the factory (mine included). That would account for your plugs fouling. That and try shifting after 2,500 rpms

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 08:52 AM

Quote:
As for running lean from the factory - what have you been reading. Every bike I have run into lately has been running rich from the factory (mine included).
I've been told by several Ducati dealers (and I've read in several forums) that carbureted Monsters run lean because of emissions requirements, and that it's supposedly a good idea to rejet at the 1000 km service.

Quote:
That would account for your plugs fouling.
But do you have any idea why '01 Monsters are running rich? (There's a post below where someone describes plug fouling problems on an '01 M750.) I think the problem has to be electrical, as I've had my bike into the shop 3 times and the problem still isn't fixed. If it were just a simple carb adjustment, surely they would have done it already.

Quote:
That and try shifting after 2,500 rpms
On a 600, you don't have much of a choice but to shift above 2500.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2002, 09:33 AM

Actually, your emissions are taken care of by that rediculous charcoal canister behind your rear shock (you should have ripped this off already). All I can say that at the last ducati mechanics seminar, Ducati NA admitted that the carbs were set rich and they would warrenty leaning them out at no charge to the customer. Then again, what do I know, I just work on them. I'm not sure which dealers you've been to, but they should know about this.

My tombstone will read: "It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gus 748S Send a message via Yahoo to Gus 748S
I have talked to my local Ducati dealer's mechanics and they told me that they only have to check the slave silinder to see if it is leaking or making the liquid too dark whithout a longer period of usage. It isn't anything major. The best thing you can do is to just take it to a Ducati dealership and ask them to check it out.

If you do not understand my silence, you will not understand my words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode