Ducati Monster 750. Opinions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Question Ducati Monster 750. Opinions?

I have a buddy that is looking at the 750 Monster. I am trying to find out what you all think about these bikes as far as reliability, maintenance headaches, and overall impressions of the bikes. Anyone have some good info? Comments?

MSgt Usmc
Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 10:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
I have never ridden one but everyone I have talked to that had one really did enjoy the bike. Word is that they are very easy to ride and handle well. Not alot of power but enough to have a lot of fun with.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
I have never ridden one but everyone I have talked to that had one really did enjoy the bike. Word is that they are very easy to ride and handle well. Not alot of power but enough to have a lot of fun with.
I agree, except I would like to add a few things as a former DUCATI owner. DUCATIs are dependable bikes, however the valve clearances should be checked every 6,000 miles. Don't have it serviced by just anybody. If he is buying it new from a combination Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Polaris,BMW, harley dealer, their mechanics probably don't know their way around a desmodromic valve train. That dealer will probably give him a good price, but the bike should leave that dealership forever. Have him hang at a local sport bike hangout and get some recommendations from the local Ducatistas.

If he is buying it used, have him demand to see reciepts for regular valve adjustments.

If he is buying used he would probably be better off with a 900 monster where someone else has already spent $3,000.00 on jet kits, slip-ons,K&N etc.

(John, did I just talk this guy into buying an SV650??????)

Once you try track, you never go back.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch for the info. His CBR was stolen last summer and is ready to ride again. I just showed him these replies and pulled up some pics of the SV also. He may go that direction. Thanks for the info and comments.

MSgt Usmc
Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by meanstrk
I just showed him these replies and pulled up some pics of the SV also. He may go that direction.
OOOOPs!!!

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 04:44 AM

I have a friend who owns a 900. If you're gonna buy a 750, you might as well spend the extra bucks for the 900 if you have it. There's a big difference in the feel and the horsepower. Well worth it from what I hear. Also, have you looked at the 600's? I mean, moving up to a 750 from there and only getting about 4 hp and 5 extra pounds (according to a site)... the ratio's not worth it and neither is the price.

Don't get me wrong, the i.e. is nice with all the mods they made to it this year, the superbike frame, the inverted forks, so on so on. There's not much difference between the 600 and the 750, but there is MAJOR difference between the 750 and 900.

Just my 1 cent... probably get back change too...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 05:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Quote:
Originally posted by desmo079

(John, did I just talk this guy into buying an SV650??????)
Yes and you are a good man for doing it.

Actually, my wife had her choices narrowed down to the SV and the Duc 740 Monster and she went with the SV.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2002, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

I showed him all these replies and he is definately going to go the SV route. The maintenance costs an issues convinced him to go that way, plus the dealership availability is more limited with the Ducati's as well. He had not even heard of the SV until it was brought up, and that is my fault for forgeting about them, but I think he will be happy with one. Thanks for everything!

MSgt Usmc
Semper Fi

l
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 03:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to kismet_710 Send a message via Yahoo to kismet_710
I personally think ducs are the best sounding bikes ever made. You can't even hear it with stock pipes!!! This is a dream bike to me(not the monster but 748s)!!! these bikes are so silent when ridden it isn't even funny. I am very excited about ducs now and all the honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha cookie cuttin riders can keep their bikes. a Duc is a one of a kind bike, an only kind bike! no bike in the world can compare to the sweet sweet sound of a duc(what sound?).

I don't mean to be rude, but your tires are showing!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 09:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
I like reading your postings, they make me laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by kismet_710
I personally think ducs are the best sounding bikes ever made. You can't even hear it with stock pipes!!! This is a dream bike to me(not the monster but 748s)!!! these bikes are so silent when ridden it isn't even funny. I am very excited about ducs now and all the honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha cookie cuttin riders can keep their bikes. a Duc is a one of a kind bike, an only kind bike! no bike in the world can compare to the sweet sweet sound of a duc(what sound?).
Hey now wait a minute, I ride a kawi does that make me a cookie cutting rider. I don't know but I still like my rocket and oh how comfortable my rocket is. Especially where it counts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode