differences between a 916 and 996 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2002, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

differences between a 916 and 996

sorry for the same type of question, but ive pondered this recently, the differences of these two bikes, besides the obvious cc difference, is the 916 just an older bike? is that y its cheaper? thanks in advance..

still tryin to figure out if i want a twin, .. dont have any bike anymore,

the best judgment is seat time, all the information or advice in the world, couldn't tell you what its truly like..

jaycee
joseph

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2002, 06:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
916 is the first one of that model line. As they kept needing to pull out more hp they just kept boring it out a little more(916,955,995,996). There have been other minor upgrades along the way too. Some minor chassis changes and minor engine upgrades(other than cc's). Cosmetically they are the same machine(for the most part) but the 996 is just the last of that same basic engine. The 998 has quite a few engine changes but otherwise no major changes as compared to the others.

The 916 would be cheaper just because it is older and less power. They are all fun twins to ride as long as cost is not an issue.

Hopefully that answers you questions.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2002, 02:59 AM

Judging by your avatar, you seem to have an interest in Hondas. Why not get a used Superhawk to see if you like a liter-class twin? The initial upkeep should be much less expensive, and you can always get a 916 later. Here's a link to a Duc enthusiast's impressions about the 'Hawk where he compares it to the 900SS and 916:

http://www.ducatitech.com/bikes/vtr.html

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

oops

guys, thanks for the info, sorry it took so long, havent been here in awhile.. im in a loveit/hateit situation with superhawk, ive actually considered it, but maybe later on, i think its pricey for what it is, and they havent changed it in years.. i sat on on today, feels good,

we'll have to see,, thanks guys, i love ducatis.. and yeah finances do affect the reason why i cant have one as of yet, but in time, i will have that single sided swing arm action..

jaycee

buying? needa refinance?? call me..
X marks the spot, sign at the X

*crossing my fingers*... so i dont crash..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode