Active Forums or Newsgroups ? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Question Active Forums or Newsgroups ?

I'm seriiously looking at the ST4 ( as well as the Futura)

Any active / good forums or newsgroups on teh ST4 .. Or, even Ducati ?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
There were several but they all broke before they could really get going.

Seriously, I don't know of any specific ones but you could probably do a search for them. I'm sure there are some.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 01:23 PM

Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.

Nothing like a well stated and informative opinion aye? And they say you can't get anything for free!!!!!

I've lived in Illinois and all I can say is:

Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.
Futura, Futura, Futura.

Repeal helmet laws, they only protect people we most likely don't need in the gene pool any way!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2002, 05:30 PM

Re: Active Forums or Newsgroups ?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmuddy
I'm seriiously looking at the ST4 ( as well as the Futura)

Any active / good forums or newsgroups on teh ST4 .. Or, even Ducati ?

Thanks !
Not to be too hard on the good folks who own Ducatis (I recently had a Superlight that was one of the most awesome collectible bikes I've ever owned) but the ST2/4 bikes seem to be the "problem children" of the Ducati line.

The ST list seems to be full of people with problems....whereas the Futura owners who post on the Aprilia USA Owner's Club forums have only positive comments.....hmmmm......

If you really want a Duc, but a 93-95 900SS SP and put some bags on it!

Todd Robinson
Sales & Event Director
Pacific Track Time
http://www.pacifictracktime.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 01:44 AM

I'll have to disagree about any problems inherent to the Ducati sport touring line. The ST4 shouldn't have any more faults than any other 4-valve Duc. However, being that those problems can be expensive (flaking rockers) I think I would go for the gusto and reach for an ST4s. OTOH, If you want better reliability, cheaper maintenance and can accept lower performance get an ST2, but be aware that the ST2 responds very well to the typical 2-valve mods. Along those lines, here's an interesting ad about the "Super" ST2 that Bruce Meyers builds at BCM: http://www.bcmducati.com/article.cfm?id=15&type=3

At my age, there's not much left to learn the hard way...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Futura Problems

Actually, I've done some limited poking around .. Including looking at some of the Aprilla forums ..

Complaints about the Futura .. From Futura owners include:

- Stumble .. rough running at low rpms

- "toggle switch throttle" .. it's either on or off

-paint quality

However, there seems to be no disagreement about the comfort .. and .. NOBODY has a better system for the hard bags ..

All that being said .. I know that the Ducs have their share of problems to .. as well as the trumpets, etc.

I've yet to find the perfect sport tourer
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 03:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
The new Futuras look awesome. I have been a fan of those from the start. I would definitely get the Futura before the ST2 or 4. I will say though, the ST2/4 owners I've talked to in this region have all been really happy with them and they weren't the typical Ducatistis that are brainwashed by the brand.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 03:52 AM

Personally I have never ridden a Futura. But the ST2 I have. I liked the ST2, but the style points on the Futura had me at hello.
Then I researched it a little bit, and the info made it even more attractive. Not your run of the mill bike.
My .02.

www.ftb-racing.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 05:34 AM

Re: Futura Problems

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmuddy
Actually, I've done some limited poking around .. Including looking at some of the Aprilla forums ..

Complaints about the Futura .. From Futura owners include:

- Stumble .. rough running at low rpms

- "toggle switch throttle" .. it's either on or off

-paint quality
OK...let me clarify a bit....

I'm not saying that all ST models are big steaming piles of crap. The simple fact is that among Ducati owners I'm associated (also being a member of the Ducati Rider's Club of SoCal and reading a lot of Duc discussion boards) it seems that there are several issues that plague the ST line that may or may not be getting ironed out very well by Ducati even when faced with several complaints from owners. And some of these like the flaking issues, are MAJOR defects.

The Futura, OTOH, during the FIRST year of its existence, only draws minor criticisms about things that can be corrected (like rough running and throttle) or things like the very rare electrical issue with the funky dash. The only major gripe is the limited fuel range for a sport touring machine, which is a valid complaint.

You've got to give Aprilia credit for turning out a bike that in its first 6 months draws significantly fewer gripes from owners than the ST line that has been around for about 4 years now...and the only ST with better performance is the ST4s which will set you back a couple grand more than the Priller for the extra power?

So pardon me if I gave offense to you ST owners....but as a former Duc owner myself I can attest to the broad delta in overall reliability between the Ducati and Aprilia bikes. In fact, the Ducatis I've owned and ridden are more akin to my Aprilia RS250 two stroke in terms of maintenance and fussy manners, whereas the four stroke Aprilias are frequently compared to the Japanese bikes since they're on that level of reliability for the most part.

I and almost any truly honest Ducati owner will tell you we bought our Ducatis becaused we loved the styling and performance, NOT because we were getting a "turn the key and ride" reliable bike. It's the same thing if you choose to buy an older Ferrari compared to a Porsche 996. You may even spend less money than the Porsche, but you buy the car for the mystique, driving feel, and looks, fully accepting that the machine isn't going to be as good a daily driver.

And yes...I know people that have put 40,000 plus miles on their 996's and 748's. So I'm not saying a Ducati can't be a daily driver. Just trying to make a point...

Todd Robinson
Sales & Event Director
Pacific Track Time
http://www.pacifictracktime.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode