Questions on Reliability + Dealers ST4s - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2001, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Questions on Reliability + Dealers ST4s

I'm narrowing my selection in my quest for a superb Sport Touring machine, with the ST4s at or near the top of the list. I would like to know your experiences with the marque, notably concerning reliability, dealer support and "nit-pix".

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the various models owned by members of this forum.

Happy Holidays,

Kev

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 05:20 PM

Unlike many, it seems, I have had a great relationship with my dealer. I got a pretty good deal on my '00 900SS and was very pleased with how the dealership treated me. They went above and beyond the call of duty when my chain broke (long story).

When I totalled the SS, I got a great deal on the '00 996 biposto demo (9 whopping miles), and the sales manager worked hard to sell me the bike. I hate haggling and the only new vehicles I've bought are the two Ducatis.

I think there are a couple reasons for my story. I bought a lot of aftermarket stuff for my SS from them, totalling a couple grand. I stopped in to see them and look at the showroom stuff. I loaned them SBK tapes and went riding with them away from work. I've become friends with them and they call me by name when I show up. The sales manager and floor manager are good people and have hired good help. The service guys, albeit slow on occassion, are also friendly and good mechanics.

It's kind of a crapshoot, but I treat it like a relationship. I give them my money for the bike and accessories, and they provide me service. I don't expect them to lose money on me, and I give them my business whenever possible. They know I spend money there and they treat me accordingly.

BTW, the floor manager (who I ride with whenever possible) has an ST4s, and loves it. I've seen great reviews about the bike, and some track times close to or equal to the 996. Go figure!

As for reliability, I've been fortunate enough to not have any reliability issues. The chain that broke on my SS was a quality chain (DID X-ring) and was a freak thing. The dealer really took care of it, so it was really a non-issue. The SS was bulletproof and very low maintenance. Of course it only had about 7K miles when it died and untimely death due to my f**k up.

My 996 only has 765 miles on it, but so far it's been wonderful. (knock on wood)

The last issue, "nit-pix", is totally personal. I knew from the beginning the 996 would be somewhat uncomfortable, higher maintenance, and expensive to maintain/accessorize. I had no preconceived notions about getting a perfect bike. Ducati will always be a niche bike IMO, and subject to the quirks that go along with small production run machines. Sure I wish the seat were a little more comfortable, I wish there was a clock with the instruments, I wish there were more under-seat storage space, higher clip-ons, etc... You know what? I'll never be able to ride this bike (or probably any other for that matter) to it's limits, and no bike maker will make the perfect bike, but I don't care. I don't think there are any horrendous oversights or mistakes on the bike that would make me avoid it. Some "nit-pix" I've heard but not experienced are these: jumpy tachometer, flaky rocker arms, unpredictable voltage regulator and poor fit & finish.

I think you should get the ST4s. It's a great bike! I also wish you luck in finding a good dealer if you get the Duke.

Last edited by erik900ss; 12-18-2001 at 05:29 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2001, 06:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
i have heard nothing but great things about all the STs with one caveat. Apparently the bodywork is quite tricky and time consuming to remove. Therefore, if you get one, you can probably save money on maintenance if you take it to the dealer already stripped.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc café racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
H.S.T.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 03:42 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i can't say one way or the other. but i just wanted throw out the aprilia futura.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

I'm awaiting a test ride on a Futura and the Ducati agency promised a ride on either an ST2 or ST4 (in stock demo units). I still haven't ruled out a new Triumph ST, as it now has the Daytona motor and I can do some nice suspension mods for under the $2,500-$4,000 proce difference between it and the Italians.

And then there's the new VFR, XX, Busa or a late model ZX11...

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2001, 05:57 AM

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure !!

A chum of mine has the ST2 and loves it. He's a BIG bloke but doesn't level anything of real importance (except build quality compared to the VFR) against the Duke. He was going to buy a viffer but thought the Duke was that bit less common.

Better Smeg than dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode