difference between a 998 and a 900? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Rio

difference between a 998 and a 900?

What differences, in terms of riding, do the 998 and the 900 have? Is one more agile than the other? Does one have higher quality parts? Or do you have a preference?

Your oppinions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 03:13 PM

Only difference between the two is the the undertail pipes, and the singleside swingarm!

www.ftb-racing.com
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to BamBam Send a message via Yahoo to BamBam
Ya big kidder..

Rio - do you mean the 900SS?

Never been on a 998, but I'm sure the extra 43 horsepower it has over the Supersport would make a difference.

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

I live in fear of not being misunderstood. ~ Oscar Wilde

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 08:34 PM

Rio,
you are looking at completely different bikes. Never ridden a 998, but.......
One is a 4 valve motor (998) one is a 2 valver (900ss). BamBam mentioned the HUGE difference in power. Both are uncomfortable agressive riding postures, but the 900SS is prolly a bit more comfortable.

www.ftb-racing.com
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 01:44 AM

Lets not even mention the 900 ss is air cooled and 998 water cooled. I may be a little misinformed, but I also thought that the 998 comes with "better" suspension components ie. shock, forks, adjusters. lifetime supply of chiorpractor visits just kidin.

South Central Race Center
Dunlop, Bridgestone & VP Fuel
www.scracecenter.com

Last edited by kawi jm; 11-29-2001 at 05:04 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 02:58 AM

Re: difference between a 998 and a 900?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rio
What differences, in terms of riding, do the 998 and the 900 have? Is one more agile than the other? Does one have higher quality parts? Or do you have a preference?

Your oppinions are appreciated.
They're both available in the same colors and they both come with Ducati stickers. That's about it.

You're talking 2 different worlds. It's not a good comparison.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Rio

Sorry for any confusion, I noticed there was a 998, 998S, and 998R.....and then there was the 900 and the 900SS.

Paul, When I was looking at the ducati website, the differences weren't readily appearant. The air cooled & water cooled was something I didn't know, so that helped. If the bikes are really as different as you say, it really is a good comparison since I'm asking what the differences are and not what the similarities are.

funksouljon, so the 900SS is not a V-twin like the 998?

Again, thank you everyone for your input.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 02:16 PM

oh, it was ineviable........
i knew somebody would set me off............
i'll try to keep it brief.......
both are: v-twin, four stroke, steel framed, italian, beautiful, agile machines.
both feature disc brakes and desmo valve operation.
the differences are...........for year 2002 bikes SUPERBIKES- 998 cc 4 valve per cyl. watercooled narrow valve angle "testastratta" heads. (new for 2002 998 +998s, cost a bloody fortune on 2001 996r)
race derived frame geometry, dual underseat exhaust, single sided swingarm, fully adjustable top notch suspension
a very capable racer, with plates, signals, emission gear.
SUPERSPORT 900cc two valve aircooled engine with a heritage reaching back 20 something years to the pantah 500
a sporty frame, more for tight road use than track, ugly exhaust (change for high termagoni's as soon as possible) dual side swingarm, suspension not what i'd expect for the money
to sum it up......both are exotic, beautiful italians.
one has the spirit and technology of 2002 (but will probably be a competitive racer for years to come....they have dominated production based superbike racing for ages)
one with the spirit of days gone past, more "character" (read rattles, bangs, shakes etc.) a simplistic machine that will not satisfy on the edge riders with it's (comparitively) limp output and suspension.
(if i seem biased, i'm a bit tech oriented. but i'd probably choose a half faired 900ss, aqua frame w/ silver paint (both metallic) brake and susp upgrades, motor work etc. it'd still cost less than a 998,
and i'm not fast enough to notice the missing hp.)
ps. if you want women, buy a 998.
pps i am very healthy, active, flexable. sitting on a 2001 996 for a few minuites hurt. these are not comfortrable machines. (and i ride a gsxr!)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 02:25 PM

having just posted, i went back and saw you ride an r1.
more focused reply follows..............
900ss has approx 55% your hp, will not come close to your handling or braking. (about 30-40 lb more, too)
998 has 90-95% your hp, similar braking and handling (numerically speaking) in the base version, but better feel regarding your limits (or rather, the bikes limits)
it stands out much more from every other mass built machine in feel, sound, and looks (mv agusta excluded)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 02:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to BamBam Send a message via Yahoo to BamBam
Comfort...

I've ridden the 900SS for a year now - it takes a lot of getting used to - long stretch to the slipons but the tankpad thingy helps a lot!!
I've also ridden a 996SPS (similar to the 998) on a prolonged test ride.
Verdict: for my build, (6'2 220lbs) the 996 was MORE comfortable than my SS.

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Bill (BamBam)

-
-

I live in fear of not being misunderstood. ~ Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode