Did a 315 mile day to day...one of the newbie's crashed!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Red face Did a 315 mile day today...one of the newbie's crashed!!

What's up guys? About 24 of us got together today for the SSA's (Southern Sportbike Association) first ride of June and one of the newbie's trashed his bike.

Before the ride we told the new guys to just ride at your own pace and don't try to push it or keep up with the rest of, us but as you know, it doesn't always sink in. We were running the curves pretty hard and about 4 of us had separated ourselves from the rest of the group and had made it to one of our check points (or rest stops) when one of the guys came up to us and said there was a rider down about 7 miles back. We went back and he was fine but the bike (TL1000R) was trashed. The front end was ripped off the bike, dent in tank, tail section busted, exhaust on both sides were dented and scratched. After talking o the guy he admitted he was trying to catch up to us. I kinda felt bad for running to far ahead but here's the thing...

We had taken that same route earlier in the day at a slow (around 60mph) pace so that everyone could see the route and get a feel for what the curves were like. So, like I said I kinda feel guilty for running off and leaving some of the newbie's but at the same time they knew what they were getting into before we went through it a second time...so why do I still feel guilty? It's not my fault the guy wrecked, right?

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton

Last edited by HUS; 06-16-2001 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 08:44 PM

Cool

No, not your fault at all--Don't even worry about it! I am somewhat new to Sport bike riding myself. But having years of Motocross experience behind me, I think I know "when to say when." If you've had the motocross experience of "First turn" who's going down first? then, well give it up and go home, don't try to be a hero. If you have the ability, stay with it. I don't know what else to say, but when I rode with the "fast guys" last weekend, I took the right hander home--the brothers were just too fast for my old ass! Tom
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 09:09 PM

It is no one's fault; however, I do believe that when you are in a group or club the leader has to be behind everyone else who is less experienced or skill so later on he/she can tell him/her what he/she is doing wrong. I think what you guys did at first going slow was the right thing, but the second part of going faster than other was wrong. If you know that newbies can't get to go slow why go faster when you already know that he/she can get in trouble. If you feel like going fast, then have two groups one experienced and beginning. Whoever is the leader has to state how fast everyone has to go.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
HUS

Send a message via AIM to HUS Send a message via Yahoo to HUS
Thumbs up Riding order.

Yeah, I forgot to mention how its set up. We select 4 "Road Bosses" for every ride...2 up front and 2 in back. The newbies always ride in the back of the group and are strongly encourage to ride at their own pace and not try to be competitive. Most of us ride at about 80% but for some the newer guys that would be like 110% if they were trying to keep up with us so we discourage the newer guys from trying to keep up with the front pack. Just thought I'd let you know that

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 09:28 PM

Even then, you guys need someone with experience, skills, and good judgement behind the new guys. If you do not have someone behind them, how are you going to know and tell them what are they doing wrong, and how they can get better?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 01:32 AM

< HUS - Yeah, I forgot to mention how its set up. We select 4 "Road Bosses" for every ride...2 up front and 2 in back. The newbies always ride in the back of the group >

<HeckLer1979 - Even then, you guys need someone with experience, skills, and good judgement behind the new guys. >

Maybe you're really into "Heckling" or it's just me but . . . i think the "2 in back" were experienced riders at the very back, right behind the newbies.

Oh, btw, HUS - those are excellent riding rules your group has. Just think . . . if you didn't run the route earlier, or didn't give the "newbie" speech at the beginning of the day, you could have backtracked 7 miles to find a mess of twisted newbie all over a mountain, or off the side of a cliff.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 10:19 AM

Yeah I am not sure what the problem is here either. That sounds like a great game plan. It's not your job to babysit people and make sure that they get through every turn okay. That is why we have free will. The two riders in back is a great idea, not to mention the slow run through it first round. Sounds like you are a pretty responsible group that takes your ride seriously. I would love to ride with a bunch of people in that scenario.

bRad
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 04:27 PM

Hmmm seems I can't read. Anyway, well is not ur fault so don't worry about it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 05:01 PM

Riding Rules

Sounds like you guys have a pretty good set-up. If someone is going to push too hard, no one behind will be able to stop them. The only way to slow someone down is to be in front of them, turn down the speed some, and hope they don't nail you from the rear. Doesn't sound like a job I'd want.

The best way to teach newbies from my experience is to give some one on one to the new guy and MAKE him follow you and learn from the better rider.

Another suggestion for your club, since it sounds pretty organized, is to have some bench learning sessions at your rest points with the newbies. Tell them what they are doing wrong.

Keep the rubber side down guys...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:15 PM

Thumbs up

No I don't think it was your fault, after all we are free to make our own choices aren't we??
Perhaps two groups, both with experienced riders at the front and rear of both.
The pre-ride is always a good idea.
Helmet radios are an even better item to have in this circumstance. Again,the experienced riders at the front and rear should have the radios.
Remember to tell'em to "Ride the Pace!"

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode