160 mph in Chicago - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Talking

I found this link. This guy does 120 and the cops had to check their radar?!

A motorcyclist from Calumet City was ticketed for driving 160 m.p.h. on Lake Shore Drive early Wednesday--so fast that police double-checked their radar gun and asked the cycle's manufacturer if the two-wheeler could go that fast.......

http://chicagotribune.com/news/metro...170278,FF.html

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.

Last edited by Jester; 05-17-2001 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:07 AM

Cool, I've done well over 100mph on Lake Shore myself.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:18 AM

In your car, right?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:23 AM

Interesting story.

But what is a Honda "600FX" model? Maybe they mean a 600F4? Plus, the F4 doesn't have a top speed of 165 mph! It's more like 155 mph. Not even the F4i goes that fast. Must have had a big tailwind or maybe he was going downhill???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to drifter_r6
Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker
Interesting story.

But what is a Honda "600FX" model? Maybe they mean a 600F4? Plus, the F4 doesn't have a top speed of 165 mph! It's more like 155 mph. Not even the F4i goes that fast. Must have had a big tailwind or maybe he was going downhill???
The Honda 600FX is a euro spec bike similar to the F4. But we all know euro spec models are not as conservative as domestic (U.S.) models in terms of performance tuning.

Be Safe!
-R

Get to living or get to dying.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:29 PM

I was thinking the 600FX might be what shows up as the model on the registration. The model number on the registration doesn't always match the real world model name. I don't know off the top of my head what the registration states the model is for my XX. But when I had my TL-R it showed on the registration as a TL100RY. Just a thought. Either way, I don't think a 600cc anything does 165 from the factory. Unless they mean indicated....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 03:25 PM

According to the Sun-Times it was a 1999 CBR600 F4. I've also done over 100 mph on Lake Shore, but it was in my car in the wee hours of the morning. I don't do that anymore. I've been passed by many, many bikes doing triple digit speeds there. The speed limit on Lake Shore is ridiculously low. It's absurd. 45 mph at sections where there are 4 lanes and it's perfectly straight, and there are no traffic signals anywhere. Not that it should be legal to go 160 there or anything.

There are a couple spots where I always see cops sitting these days. Going north, watch out right after you get past the loop. You go across that metal bridge and then the road bears left. There will be a cop off to the right behind the concrete divider. Going south you'll see one just before you get towards the fountain in grant park, basically the same spot but on the other side of the street. Same deal, with the cop sitting behind the concrete divider. This is only at night. Saw some guy in an Explorer get pulled over there last night about 20 seconds after he passed me.

The most aggravating part of the Sun-Times article was this:

-----------------
Rogan was stopped in a special crackdown on motorcycle speeders that began about two weeks ago on Lake Shore Drive and will continue through the summer, Dougherty said.

Ald. Helen Shiller (46th) requested the enforcement program after receiving complaints about reckless bikers, he said.

Dougherty pointed to a Chicago Sun-Times story earlier this month showing the number of motorcyclists dying on Illinois roads has risen by almost 50 percent since 1977.

"They can be a hazard to the motoring public and to themselves," Dougherty said.
-----------------------------------

Not sure if I am more annoyed with stupid politicians or stupid bikers who feel the need to go 160 and subject the rest of us to this persecution.

Do you think they ever considered that the rise in motorcycle fatalities might correspond with a rise in the number of motorcyclists? I also read in the Sun-Times that of the 124 motorcycle fatalities in IL last year, only 14 were wearing helmets. I'm big on personal choice and all that, but if a helmet law could get the number of fatalities down enough to get the public and the cops off our back I'd be all for it. It's foolish not to wear one anyway (obviously).
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:20 PM

SO what you are saying is that people on motorcycles should do the posted speed limit all the time? It doesn't matter rather or not you are doing 100, or 160, it is way too fast for the street. Do you never go aboce the triple digit? Not saying that I don't, cause I do. Why else would I have a street bike? I love speed. BUT, there is a place and time for everything. The only person that I put at risk when I am flat otu getting it is me. No one else but me. That is the way that it should be.

As far as persecution from cops, you have no idea what the word means. That is not a crack on you. I am just saying, look at the rave community, and the persecution that goes on there. You have nothing and I mean NOTHING that compares to that.

I agree with you on the helmet laws though. The state of Kentucky says:
It's illegal to operate a motor vehicle without a seatbelt, and hence, we can pull your ass over for not wearing one.
However, if you choose to ride your motorcycle on public roads, since the federal government does not withold funds for helmet laws, you can kill yourself any way you want. Please, drink a few beers first, and hit your wife before you leave. Then, when we go to pull you over, run like hell and smash yourself in a guard rail. Head first. We forgot that part. Go head first. This results in less paperwork for the state, and gives the road crews a feeling of security in job placement. Thank you, drive safely, and "education pays" (some kind of new state moto).
bRad
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:50 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by raveosaurus
SO what you are saying is that people on motorcycles should do the posted speed limit all the time?
Not at all. I almost never drive/ride at the speed limit. I generally go a few mph above, and sometimes I wring it out a little farther. But you need some perspective here. 160 mph on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is absolutely uncalled for. This is in the middle of Chicago. The road is never totally empty, even at 2 AM. This is not the same as driving on some isolated highway in Montana or, dare I say, possibly in some parts of Kentucky (?). Also, as speed increases, the risk increases exponentially. Stopping distance is not directly proportional to speed - it increases at a faster rate than one's speed does. That is what makes 160 mph on LSD especially egregious; moreso than even 90 or 100 mph.

Quote:
The only person that I put at risk when I am flat otu getting it is me. No one else but me. That is the way that it should be.

That's simply not true and, no offense, but it's naive to even think that. If you have a serious accident, it affects a large number of people. I've explained this before, and I'm not going to get into it again. Just think about who, other than you, would be affected if, God forbid, you were injured seriously or died.

Quote:
As far as persecution from cops, you have no idea what the word means. That is not a crack on you. I am just saying, look at the rave community, and the persecution that goes on there. You have nothing and I mean NOTHING that compares to that.

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make by bringing up something totally irrelevant like ravers. You have no idea about me, or my background, so don't tell me what I do or don't know. This forum has nothing to do with the rave community. The term "persecuction" is not a relative one. If you want to talk about persecution you could have thought of any number of groups that would elicit more sympathy than ravers. No one cares. I'm tempted to say more, but I'm not interested in starting a flame war. Keep this to motorcycles.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ZR-Alan
. I'm tempted to say more, but I'm not interested in starting a flame war. Keep this to motorcycles.
And I really appreciate it. Don't anyone consider making this a flame subject.

As far as raves are concerned, you can keep them out of this too...raves and motorcycles don't even compare and don't really belong in the same sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode