Riding Without a Jacket?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I was just curious. How many guys here ride without full protection when it gets REAL hot? C'mon. Be honest.

When it gets too hot and muggy here in CA, I will sometimes ride with just pants, boots, gloves & helmet. No jacket. I find this to be comfortable up about 55 mph. Then the flapping of my T-shirt gets to me. I do this only when I'm riding around town and not exceeding 55 mph. I'm also extra careful and cautious when I ride without my jacket. I'm willing to take that risk for the sake of not melting.

I think perforated summer jackets help. But nothing is cooler than just having a T-Shirt when you have to deal with stop & go traffic in the middle of August!. Except maybe T-shirt & shorts. But that's beyond what I'm willing to risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:41 PM
Squidwannabe

We don't like squids here. Leave.

I ride with a T-Shirt sometimes, sometimes on the highway .... But I usually wear a jacket .
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to drifter_r6
Cool

Bare minimum I ALWAYS wear a helmet, gloves, pants and boots. 80% of the time I will wear my textile Joe Rocket Atomic jacket with body armor. But there are days that it's just too hot and I go with just a T-shirt plus the minimum. In the summer time the air gets so hot in AZ that you can get "wind burn", those days I will suffer a little and wear the textile jacket.

I use to be religious about wearing my leather jacket even during the summer time but you can get heat stroke/dehydrate so easily if you don't pay attention to your body. Almost passed out one time in the middle of an intersection on a 114F day after a 3 hour ride. Luckily I was able to stumble and walk my bike over to the sidewalk, got under a tree and laid there for 45 mins until I could get my butt up and walk over to the AM/PM. Got some water and stuffed myself into their beer fridge for awhile. The clerk got pissed off... I had to pay them off to "use" their facilities to cool down.

Be Safe and be smart!
-R

Get to living or get to dying.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Squidwannabe
We don't like squids here. Leave.
Did I tell you I like to wear shorts & flip flops during the weekend then cruise the local beaches for chicks? Babes dig it! Cool dude. ..
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:21 PM

90% of the time Jacket,jeans,boots,gloves,helmet.
9% t-shirt, jeans, gloves,helmet,boots.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:31 PM

Summer attire...

Well, I wish I had a closet full of bike stuff but I don't. I have a 2 piece set of non-perf leathers. Always wear the jacket, sometimes without armor. Always wear gloves and helmet (the law here). I do leave behind my boots and bottom of the suit when I don't think I will be racing on the street sometimes. BUT, if I know I'm heading out to the country with several riders, I usually suit up. Hell, it gives me more excuses to stop for drinks (and I don't mean beer).
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:19 PM

July and August in North Carolina means 90+ temps and about 80% humidity, I don't even like getting in the "cage" during these months. That means slower riding and T-shirts here. And I'll probably have to out run the T-storms that happen here in a split second during July and August. As they say here, if you don't like the weather in NC, just wait 5 minutes and it will change.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:20 PM

wow, i pretty much dont own boots, and i only werar gloves on the real cold nights... Jacket on all but the hottest days... Then again i dont showoff every second, just a quick speed brst here or there...

the norm is jeans, a t shirt, sneakers and maybe the jacket, although i sub in a sweater alot
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:45 PM

WEll on the hottest of days I go out in a tee shirt. Other then that I am usually in a leather jacket. Sometimes but hardly ever I wear shorts.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:57 PM

Always - Helmet and Gloves
95% of the time - Jeans and boots
80% Jacket w/armor

If I'm going out on the highway, I always wear jeans and almost always the jacket. Around town, I'll wear a t-shirt if it's really hot and humid. With the vents open, the jacket is not too bad on hot days on the highway, but it's a rotisserie oven in stop-and-go traffic. I definitely ride more conservatively if I'm in a t-shirt and shorts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode