Safety question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
zip

Just wondering, is riding a motorcycle more dangerous than driving a car? Or is the risk about the same?

Just want to hear some opinion on this topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:18 AM

Riding motorcycles is more dangerous than cars. Statistics prove it. There are many factors that affect the level of danger though. Motorcycles require quite a bit more coordination and concentration than a car. They require almost continuous coordination of both hands and both feet. Another problem is that cars don't pay attention to bikes very well. We fit in the blind spots of cars too well. We do have advantages over cars in avoiding some crashes because of our quicker accelleration, smaller size and better braking(with experience). We are at a disadvantage in many cases too, such as on slippery surfaces(ie, oil, gravel, etc.).

I hope this answers your question. I'm sure you will get more info.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:29 AM

Depends.
Most say there are 2 kinds of motorcycles, ones that have been down and ones that are going down. But I have also heard that statistically, if you haven't been in a car accident by the time you turn 25, you are playing the odds.
If you get into a wreck in a car, you have more metal that can provide protection for you. You get in a wreck on a motorcycle, your protection is basically what you are wearing on your body (t-shirts and flip flops seem stupid when you think about huh?).
But a motorcycle has better "escape qualities" ie faster acceleration, quicker stopping speed, and is a bit more nimble that most cars.
Many people say that they have a hard time seeing motorcycles due to their size and the speed they operate at, but these are probably the same people who can't see cars and pull out in front of them or change lanes without looking or using blinkers.
The risk is probably greater due the the fact that a motorcycle can go faster than most cars and more motorcyclists do exceed 100mph, but that doesn't mean they are going to wreck.
Just my .02. Have I written a lot and not answered your question yet?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:38 AM

Lightbulb

what all stats are out there. I think the only one I have heard of is that you are more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than in a car accident. That makes sense to me.

I had to deal with this because a 14 year old kid who didn't have his license pulled away from a stop sign not seeing the motorcycle coming which caused my dad to hit the hood of his pickup at 40mph. My dad had to attent his wedding with both legs broken and had to have his right ankle welded shut, so he could never again do anything athletic. Needless to say when I told him I was getting a bike I got lectured for a long time.

As far as I am concerned I think if you pay more attention, know how to deal with advanced manuevers, and know the limits of your vehicle you can be relatively safe. In my car it has always worked for me to assume everyone is an idiot and can't drive.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 07:05 AM

Vector, you name the primary stat that actually means something. Stats are easy to manipulate but the one you mentioned is hard to argue with.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:00 AM

No, they're not.

Maybe I'm just being naive but I think that (depending on the conditions) motos are just as safe as cages. If you ride 'em properly and if you're always on the lookout for the idiots on the road, you'll fare just fine. You take more risks on a bike, but that doesn't mean they're more dangerous.
Catch my drift?
Ride Safe, Bro
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:03 AM

Motorcycles are dangerous!!!

I was almost killed on one of those damn things I still love them anyway.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 04:02 PM

Erik,

You are being naive.

Why would you have to be constantly on the lookout and watching out for the other idiots if it weren't more dangerous. You realize that they are more dangerous but you stated exactly how to counter that fact. It is the very thought process that has kept me upright on my bikes for well over 35000 miles spanning the last 5 years. My motto, "Every car is out to kill you!"
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:26 AM

So basically what you're saying is I'm right!
Wouldn't the motto "every car is out to kill you" automatically make one a safer, more aware rider?
And would that not reduce the risk?
Whan the risk is reduced, does that not make bikes less dangerous?
I'm just wondering. It seems to me like we're arguing over nothing!
Ride Safe
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:35 AM

No, it sounds to like you two knuckleheads are arguing over the same thing. Chicken or the egg?

Answer me this, why did you type If you ride 'em properly and if you're always on the lookout for the idiots on the road

Do you pay more attention when you are on your bike or in your car? Personally, not that I am inattentive in my car, but I am much more attentive on a bike. If so, why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode