My brother tried to warn me... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Today I woke up to a beautiful morning to find my baby had been stolen. The cops weren't too optimistic about me getting it back and I was just wondering what is it like to get the insurance claim. Is it a huge hassle? How long should it take? I'm also not too sure how much they're gonna give me for it. They can't get back to me for a few days and I was just wondering how some of your insurance claims went to give me an idea. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 03:34 PM

When my buddies bike was stolen the insurance company waited 30 days to give him money. But then a week or so later they found it a state away and let him buy it back at a discount since it had been wrecked.
By the way, that really sucks man!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 05:10 PM

I think 30 days is almost standard. I'm just glad you're one of the smart ones who has insurance. Too many folks don't. So if you don't get your original bike back, whatcha gonna get?

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Probably a silver F4i. They're pretty sweet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 05:19 PM

It usually takes 30 days. Don't let them give you too little. My adjuster was going to give me $600 less then book because of where I live. He said that since I was in a low demand market that I couldn't get book value. I told him that he would have to talk to my lawyer. He quickly gave me what it was worth. If you don't agree with the amount you can fight it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 07:11 PM

That sucks! I had my Ninja 600R stolen about 9 years ago. After filling out the police reports and talking to my insurance company(USAA), they told me it would take about 1-2 weeks to process the claim. Then a friend of mine calls and tells me my bike is parked on the sidewalk down the street from his house. The a**hole who stole it (never did catch him) put 125 miles on it and left it 3 blocks from my house. I guess I lucked out, the only damage was to the ignition and cosmetic stuff where the idiot dropped it while in the process of stealing it from my driveway (fraternity house- I should have expected it). I had an insurance adjuster meet me at the bike shop I used, they gave an estimate and he cut me a check on the spot.

Hope they catch him (or her).

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Actually I think I might have lucked out. About 12 hours after My bike was stolen, an ex-girlfriend of mine saw a yellow and black f4 with no plate in the back of a pick up truck and was smart enough to get the plate of the truck. I have some decent police contacts and they gave me the royal treatment. I'll probably try find out later today if it was my bike (not too many yellow F4's with no plates around here).

And I thought ex-girlfriends were just good for was guilt free sex.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 07:47 PM

Just out of curiosity... was it locked? I live in an apartment on the ground floor, and I'm paranoid as hell that somebody will attempt to steal my bike. It's not so much the bike I'm paranoid about, but rather how I will react if I catch someone. Anyway, I keep it locked with a pretty thickg cable and park it under a "streetlamp."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

No it wasen't locked. I guess I'm gonna have to learn from my mistakes and change some habits. I'm looking into a lock or possibly an alarm for my next bike. Any suggestions?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 08:30 PM

that sucks

Not that this is entirely the same, but my dad had his 4-wheeler stolen and also had to wait 30 days. Hope you have the same luck as dad. He talked to some other people who had the same model, and it turns out that one tended to be a lemon. Good luck.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode