Biker's NIGHTMARE! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy

After 2 1/2 weeks my bike was finally ready to be picked up (jetted and inspection), and of course we had a 10-12 day drought while I didn't have my ride. Anyway, I was heading home at around 4:30 Friday on a very busy highway leading into Pittsburgh, when I seen the tunnels coming up. I was preparing to be extra careful because morons drop 20 MPH to go through these. As soon as I entered the tunnels, my F3 (with no gas gauge) began to sputter, so I reached for my reserve and of course---IT WAS ALREADY ON RESERVE! So there I was, completely out of gas in the middle of a highway tunnel during rush hour. To make it worse, this is the one time I had forgotten my cell phone.....wether it would work in there or not. I don't know about other tunnels, but this one had absolutely no shoulder--the white line was right against the wall. One guy told me "move to the side, you're blocking traffic". I said "F**K YOU, I get killed if I try sticking to the wall".

I had no choice, because I wasn't leaving my baby there, so I blocked the whole lane and pushed her almost a mile to the end. With a jacket, helmet, gloves, and a ton of fumes, I literally was on the verge of passing out. Finally I seen a "tunnel person" walking into the center station just as I was exiting the tunnel. He almost got run over while trying to stop traffic so I could cross the lanes to get to where he was. The guys that worked there were extremely nice and gave me some gas to make it home, but to make my day even worse, it POURED down rain the rest of the way home. All said and done, I'm just happy to get my ride back. Oh yeah, if anyone has any suggestions on some vulgar words I can use when I yell at the mechanic who DIDN't tell me my bike was on reserve, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 08:57 AM

That sucks!! I used to live near Pittsburgh (Coraopolis) so I know what you're talking about... Good to know that you made it out alive, with a few less brain cells due to the fumes...

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 09:19 AM

Holy cow. I've been through those tunnels at rush hour. Glad you are okay. That scene would be similar to Scott Russell's Daytona accident but with cars coming at you instead of bikes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 03:21 PM

At least it wasn't raining IN the tunnel! Man that really sucks, bet you will check behind the mechanic now huh? Can't trust anyone, sheesh.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 04:58 PM

Thumbs up

Man,glad that you came thru that one alive!!
If it were me I'd at least call the service manager,owner or someone and bitch 'em out for that one!!
I guess it pays to check your ride over after its been in the shop!

Jim
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 12:17 PM

Talking

Now you know how the Ducati owners feel while pushing there broke duck home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode