Need Your Help/Advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

There is a guy I work with who told me today that he is thinking of buying his friends Hayabusa. When I asked him how much riding experience he has he said "3 or 4 years". When asked if he ever owned a bike before the answer was "no". When asked if he ever rode a sportbike before, the answer was "a few times". So here's a guy who has never owned a motorcycle before about to buy the fastet production bike ever. I told him that I personally think he's crazy. He probably won't listen to me though. I thought if a few other people out there evaluated his idea and shared their thoughts, he might think twice. Thanks.

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:19 PM

Stake, I TOTALLY agree with you! The Busa is the farthest thing there is from a beginner bike. Maybe explain to him that - on the Busa - his skills will not improve nearly as well or fast as they would on a more appropriate bike. He needs a light bike that has no more than 'enough' power to have fun and learn on for .... a year or so, IMO.

I would suggest a EX500 CBR600F2 or even a Hurricane. On the farther side, maybe a SV650?? Actually, I think the dirt is the best place to learn, and fall, but if hes gotta be on the street, go with a light bike.

Then, tell him how much its gonna cost just in parts for the Busa WHEN he drops it. Not to mention the trouble that that kinda power will get him into if hes at speed when he goes down. -Talk about getting into a corner too hot!

~~~For your friends sake, I hope he takes your/our advice and wises up before hes sorry.

BTW, Im moving this to Daily Rider.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 01:53 PM

Lightbulb

I think it depends on the rider. I just bougth a bandit 1200s last week as my first street bike ever. I trust my skills and judgement and have no problem getting on such a big bike. I know there are people out there who would get out the first time of take off as fast as they could. These are fools. I let a friend drive my bronco because he thought he knew how to handle a lifted truck with 350hp in the dirt. As I dragged his body out of my side window, which hadn't been crushed as badly as his side in the rollover, I realized, no, in fact he did not know how to drive my truck. Lucky him he had only been knocked unconscious. Point is... some people learn fast and some don't.

I think the only thing you can do is tell someone the pro's and con's and let them decide for themselves if they think they can handle it. If it's a used bike even better because maybe if they decide it's too big, they should be able to sell it and not take too big (if any) a loss money wise.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:50 PM

UH......Yeah. Personally, I think that you would have to be half retarded to start out on a Busa. After being away from riding a sport bike for about 4 years, I am starting to questin rather or not I should have started back out on my R6. I learn fast too.....but that is not the point. The point is that there are going to be times where you have to make some quick judgments/moves that only experience will lend you. There isn't a lot of room for error, and compound that with lots and lots of horspower/weight, and that combination gets deadly very quick. I am with the original poster on this. Don't start out on this bike. I am not a total safe freak, but I do beleive a few things:

Rule#1- If you don't wear a helmet, you may become a product of natural selection.

Rule#2-If you start out on a hayabusa, see rule number one.

bRad
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 05:25 AM

Vector, in all due respect, you've only been on it a week. I do wish you the best though, here's hoping you're right. That said, the Busa has almost double your horsepower at the rear wheel in case you didn't know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 05:43 AM

Lightbulb

The point I am trying to make is simply that just because something has high power doesn't mean you have to use it.

My bike is wayyyyy overpowered for me right now. Therefor I barely squeeze on the throttle and I don't go very fast. You can always drive something slower than it is capable of.

Some poeple don't understand that fact and they get in trouble.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vector4
The point I am trying to make is simply that just because something has high power doesn't mean you have to use it.

You can always drive something slower than it is capable of.

Some poeple don't understand that fact and they get in trouble.
This is true. However, you can very accidentily use the power. You go over a bump, and jerk the throttle. You may very quickly find yourself in a situation that you don't have the experience to handle.

Also I don't believe there are too many people in this world that could resist having all that power there ... the urge to just open her up and go ...

A lighter bike is also easier to handle at low speeds, and they are not as easy to drop (ie don't weigh as much).

I'm not saying that you're wrong Vector, just that there are added dangers, not matter how gingerly your ride the bike. Personally I recommend people to start with quite small bikes and work their way up. That way they generally learn more quickly, and are opening the throttle full wide open sooner. There is nothing like being able to see your way out of a corner, and winding the throttle on, countersteering hard to keep the bike over, and coming out of the corner scraping everything!

Each to their own though ...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 11:10 AM

From the horse's mouth-sort of

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbird

This is true. However, you can very accidently use the power. You go over a bump, and jerk the throttle. You may very quickly find yourself in a situation that you don't have the experience to handle.....

I'm not saying that you're wrong Vector, just that there are added dangers, not matter how gingerly your ride the bike. ...
Blackbird said it all right there. Yes, I ride my Hayabusa gingerly often but it is so easy to use the power accidentally. Under normal circumstances I only use about an 1/8th of the throttle. Also since it is smooth, you don't really notice the speed sometimes which can lead to big trouble if a quick curve comes up.

I'd go with Hondanut's bike suggestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode