K.i.s.s. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Keep It Simple, Stupid!!!

Live by the rule, die by the rule. For those that have been here long enough, you may remember I was having major trouble with my bike. It was shutting me down at seven grand, just like a rev limiter. I got all kinds of suggestions and help with things to check(and really appreciated all the help). I checked everything, starting with the easy stuff(like the side stand switch) and worked my way up. I traced wires, replaced connectors, and finally ordered a V&H power-pak to replace the box. Fought with it for almost a year. I was able to ride fine as long as I didn't rev over 7 grand(talk about handcuffing the thing).

Well, the other day we were out riding and the bike quit. Same problem. I was coasting down the highway, and for some reason(really don't know why), I reached down with my foot and kicked the side stand up. The bike took off! The side stand switch was fine. The bushing in the side stand was worn. At low rpm the thing was fine, but at high rpm(and no, it didn't have anything to do with speed, same prob in every gear) the harmonics of the bike, or vibrations would make the side stand actually slide a little sideways and activate the kill on the side stand switch. Fifteen seconds to cut the wires and by-pass the side stand switch and the bike runs like new! I can't believe I fought the thing for a year and that's all it took.

Anyway......luckily the V&H power-pak was back-ordered so I cancelled the order and saved myself the $350. The money was already earmarked to go to riding......so.............

Thanks to whoever posted the info about Brockton Cycle(a long time ago, but they really do have great prices). I used the money to order the leathers that I wanted(Fieldsheer Air-Blades) and got a fantastic deal. Gloves got here yesterday, boots and leathers should get here any second(I'm waiting not-so-patiently).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Nice hammer,

Really glad you finally got it bro! What a frikkin joke man. You know a mechanic would have had just as much trouble as you unless that bike is known for that problem.

A word to the wise, I would fix the problem. I had one bike that was bypassed and it got me more than once. Nothing dangerous happened but when you are trying to look good, grinding the side stand and the resulting actions just ain't good

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode