Wobbly with hard cornering??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hi all. I've got a newbie question...so look out!

When I am cornering really hard (I know, "How hard can a newbie corner?...you will have to trust me when I say that I can lean her over pretty well) I start to feel a little wobbly. It almost feels like I was shaking the handlebars to cause a little counter-steer. I am wondering if I AM shaking the bars a little when I lean over that far because I am too tense or something. Any light shed on this is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:36 AM

Lightbulb the ENLIGHTENED one

Quote:
Originally posted by carvinfool
It almost feels like I was shaking the handlebars to cause a little counter-steer. I am wondering if I AM shaking the bars a little when I lean over that far because I am too tense or something.
<in best eerie voice> I have gazed into the crystal ball, consulted with the spirits, and even shagged madam Cleo. This is what they all say: Ooooooh my you're good!!! Wait...that was Madam Cleo...

No dude, seriously, you are the only one who knows if you're wobbling. I mean, I always thought that you leaned harder with seat-time a.k.a. experience. This would translate into the harder leaning being natural, which would mean that you wouldn't be nervous. What I would guess is that it's the road. I mean, if you physically feel your handlebars shaking, and it's not you, then it has to be the road surface. Or you've got a balled-up tire. I doubt that though, 'cause you have a new bike with new tires. Check pressures, check the road, and if it's neither, then check yourself and stop leaning so hard that you scare yourself. Take it a little slower, and you'll be fine. I'm bettin' it's the road though...

Just my $.01
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:37 AM

There can be a dozen reasons why you feel the wobbling on your bike. Not knowing the conditions when you're cornering "hard", it's really impossible to tell you why. However, I'll take a crack at it based on the limited info.

When you have the bike leaned over, ease up on the bars. Don't grip it hard nor put too much pressure on it. In other words, relax your grip and see if the wobbling goes away.

Also, wobbling can occur at low speed, & high lean angle over bumpy surfaces. Especially when you start feeding in power. Again, you want to ease up your grip on the bars and be smooth when you apply power. Eventually, the wobbling should go away.

If the wobbling occurs all the time when you have the bike leaned over, you might want to check the steering head tightness. Make sure it's torqued right.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carvinfool
...When I am cornering really hard I start to feel a little wobbly. It almost feels like I was shaking the handlebars to cause a little counter-steer. I am wondering if I AM shaking the bars a little when I lean over that far because I am too tense or something.:Any light shed on this is greatly appreciated.
That's the F4i for ya'. You should have bought the Ducati.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 12:01 PM

Arrow

I agree with Rogue. Try relaxing your arms a little more. It takes very little pressure to countersteer. Use your body to do most of the work and don't fight the bike.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 02:16 PM

Lightbulb

A big aspect of this "wobbling" is whether it is occuring during high speed cornering or low speed cornering.

You can easily "lean hard" in either situation.

If the wobbling is happening at very high speeds, like, say 80-110+ mph, it is more commonly referred to as "wallowing". This is more attributed to the bike setup rather than the rider. If the bike setup is the cause no technique can overcome the physics of gyroscopic wallowing except reducing your speed.

(not to be confused with the infamous and often violent "tank slapper" phenomenon)

If your "wobbling" is happening at high lean angles but at lower speeds, like, say 30-65mph, it would be more probable, (but not necessarily the only cause) that the problem is in your technique.

That being said, nothing is constant, and i would check the following items:

Tire pressure.
Balanced tires.
Front Spring preload.
Fork fluid.
Fork alignment
Rear shock setting.
Chain tension/slack/wear.

Any of these items if not correct can cause serious performance issues with a bikes cornering stability.

Good Luck!

Last edited by GreenNinja; 05-09-2001 at 02:20 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 07:50 PM

Dude, I did the same shit like two weeks ago when I hit a corner at night that I had no idea was as sharp as it was. I was leaning pretty hard into it when I felt that vibration. It was like my tires were trying to "walk" to the outside of the curve. I was kinda freakin at the time though. So anyway, the other day when I had my flashback experience (see Testimonial:SBW made me what I am today....) the same thing happened, only not as bad. I reall was leaned over that time. I was really thinking that it wasn't going to hold the corner.....but it did. I just suck.
bRad
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2001, 08:50 PM

Talking

Could be a heap of things as everyone else has pointed out.Heres a few more for you.Are you getting off the seat?Getting ya weight foward,getting ya knee down?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 12:33 AM

Wink

Quote:
That's the F4i for ya'. You should have bought the Ducati. - 748_abuser
Youre right Paul! Then he could have completed the 'wobble' AND low-sided!

What better way for a newbie to learn...... youre a genius Paul
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info (and the defence from 748 abuser - I knew I shouldn't have spanked that ass over in the "2001 F4i riding impression" thread ) Anyway...I think that it was mainly road conditions with maybe a little rider error mixed in. I check the corner that I had felt the wobble on carefully and, even though it has a fairly new surface on it, the pavement is kind of "crumpled." In other words: I rode over it really slowly and felt the same thing (only almost vertically this time). All of the suggestions made me really aware of my riding and I found out that even though my arms stay pretty loose, I will sometimes put a death grip on the handles. All in all it has been a great lesson for me. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode