Sportbike World banner

Argh

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  abenn26 
#1 ·
Have you ever wanted an Al Sharpton for motorcyclists to come to your aid?

So I moved into Tampa, FL for this summer to work my internship. I drove my car and bike down 150mi to the condo that my company rented for me for my 3month stay. The place and area is decent, 2many old peeps but plenty of bikes and stuff to do.

It had been raining the first 2 weeks I was here and so I parked my bike in one of the empty covered parking that no one was using and lo and behold I get a note after a week that I can't park there, no biggie that was expected.:zzz: So I start to wheel my bike around to the back and park my bike in my covered back porch, 100% my property, not outside, barely visible, not an eyesore.

A couple days later an older(~50-60) woman comes out on her back porch and says "There are no motorcycle allowed." That was it, no warning about fines or punishment, no statement of her authority, no nothing. So being the hard headed logical person I am I have been doing that for the past 4 weeks w/o hearing anything from anyone.:dunno: Today the HR director comes to me and tells me that the person who owns the condo just got fined for having a motorcycle on the premise. Turns out that the set of condo's that I'm in doesnt allow motorcycles :wtf: They also dont allow bbq which is a whole nother issue in itself

Really know motorcycles? The shit that pisses me off so much is that I see all these ppl who live there everyday and they smile and wave and greet me while their cursing me through their teeth. GDI it just pisses me off thinking about it. :cussing; I am a very logical, easy going, stoic person, really. If they had come to me in a more professional way then I'm sure we could have worked something out but no they go behind my back and it makes me want to punt them in the cunt!

I asked for a set of their Home Owners Association rules
#8. Parking- No boats, trailers, campers, trucks, vans, motorcycles, or commercial vehicles...
wtf no trucks or vans? I park my car right next to a tahoe in the covered parking that is so big it takes up space in my lot, plus the 3 or 4 other trucks in the same stretch of parking as well as multiple vans:wtf:

Fucking flaming morons. Why the hell can't you have a motorcycle? There is not one good reason, none at all. My roommate drives a corvette w/ pretty much straight pipes and is 3x louder than my bike. I leave for work at 6:30 every morning, if I have to park my bike somewhere else I will wake up early to drive it into the parking lot of my condo and rev it until the engine is flooded every single morning:finger:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

See less See more
#2 ·
wow bro, that would piss me off to no end. actually had it happen to me though at my old place. i lived in an apartment. i used to park my bike by my window in the breeze way of the building because it was covered, safe (lots of cars get broken into in the parking lot), away from lots of stupid drunk people (college town), and it gave me peace of mind.

After some fines and fights with the land manager and fire dept., i paid my roommate $100 dollars to let me park my bike inside our actual apartment every night until i moved out. land crews weren't there until 8:00 every morning and i was always out by 7:15. it worked and my bike was 100% safe cuz it was inside and out of sight of the people that didn't like it. it didn't take up any space at all (954). if you're on the first floor and you have a cool roommate, i'd try something like that. :2cents:

another option is renting a really small storage unit... i thought about that route, but didn't like the idea of commuting to a unit, and then commuting to class/work.

homeowners association and stupid rules:finger:

#3 ·
wow bro, that would piss me off to no end. actually had it happen to me though at my old place. i lived in an apartment. i used to park my bike by my window in the breeze way of the building because it was covered, safe (lots of cars get broken into in the parking lot), away from lots of stupid drunk people (college town), and it gave me peace of mind.

After some fines and fights with the land manager and fire dept., i paid my roommate $100 dollars to let me park my bike inside our actual apartment every night until i moved out. land crews weren't there until 8:00 every morning and i was always out by 7:15. it worked and my bike was 100% safe cuz it was inside and out of sight of the people that didn't like it. it didn't take up any space at all (954). if you're on the first floor and you have a cool roommate, i'd try something like that. :2cents:

another option is renting a really small storage unit... i thought about that route, but didn't like the idea of commuting to a unit, and then commuting to class/work.

homeowners association and stupid rules:finger:
Alot of morons do that, if there's a fire and your bike is involved insurance won't cover it and you'll be on the hook. Legally it's illegal just bringing it an inch within the door, it violates fire code and leasing agreements.

I know people do it and nothing happens but that's not the point, it's when something does happen and somewhere it will and even maybe it'll be happening to you. You don't want your ~$8,000 bike messed with or stolen which is fine, but you surely don't want to front the bill to fix fire damage in a half-million dollar or more complex as well as pay for all the involved tenants lost items.

For the OP: If the building/property management/hoa want to enforce that bylaw they have to enforce it on everyone. If there are vans and trucks on the property that belong to residents then inform whomever that you want those vehicles removed if you can't have you motorcycle. They can't selectively enforce the rules, it's all or nothing.

#4 · (Edited)
like you said, your bike has to be INVOLVED....

...show me an instance when a bike has been involved...

bikes dont spontaneously combust. the guy wanted a solution, i gave him some suggestions. I'm not a moron for putting my bike in my apartment, its safer. STATISTICALLY, your bike will get stolen, p*ssed on by drunks, knocked over, carried away in a hurricane/tornado, etc. before contributing to a fire burning down an apartment building. so, i took the more statistically sound option. its not moronic. i did what i had to do because of my situation.

if you dont like my suggestions, fine, but dont say i'm a moron. if you are going to pull the whole "it doesnt have to happen many times, only once", then why are you on a bike to begin with? i dont follow all the rules all the time, but i am competent and i do think that i make logical and sound actions and thoughts (most of the time).

so stick with catback's suggestion, start more trouble with your neighbors, infuriate them even more, p*ss of your land manager, and definitely lose your battle with your apartment complex letting you have your motorcycle parked there. that sounds like a great option. see how good that works out.:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I was recently reading an HOA agreement and it actually specified that rules could be unevenly applied. It seems unlikely that clause would stand in court, but that's quite a bit of hassle to go through. That said, I think I agree it might not be the wisest decision to put the bike indoors, but your options are clearly limited. I would find out who really has the last say in this silliness and take up the question of trucks with that person.

EDIT: Remember, an SUV isn't necessarily considered a truck, no matter how big it is. Depends on your state laws. SUV's are considered trucks in the state of IN by the DOT, but not in IL.

#6 ·
Yea I thought about the rules being applied unevenly. I may get flamed to hell for this but w/e. The people who make up these rules generally have nothing else to do, don't have any type of power or satisfaction in their life, and are just looking for someone to pick on to make them feel better about themselves. The community I live in is in general an older community and older women here seem to have a reputation of being cranky old bats.

I thought about the rules being applied unevenly and to me it would make sense if a person who needed a larger vehicle b/c of weight, or size, or handicapp, or a damn good reason, would have an excuse. But there are four-six sets of parking that my condo group owns and each of them has at least 2 vans, trucks, or suv's. I also read the rules and HoA guidelines and nowhere does it state that rules could be applied unevenly. When I talked to the actual owner of Cordova Greens(my condo complex) he said that the homeowners have never made exceptions to the rules before so someone is playing me.

As for the SUV thing, if I were talking about a kia sorento or like small SUV or crossover it would be one thing. There are trucks, non commercial, and vans also non commercial in the parking strips. These SUV's that are parked there are bigger than all the trucks and vans. I'm talking behemoth Tahoes and Escalades. There is an Excursion that's tail end sticks out almost 4' from the end of the awning. Its a terrible eyesore and obstacle and I don't see how, even though its an SUV, it could be considered under the rules.

I do park my motorcycle inside the apt everyonce in a while. I did it for xmas break last year and over this past weekend I was out of town so I had it parked in my apt. Normally i leave it in my covered patio, where it is currently sitting not getting hit by the rain. I don't know about yall but to me my bike is almost like my dog. I talk to it and love it and everything. You wouldnt keep your dog out in the rain would you? I just want to park my bike in the covered spot that I own and have payed for :(

I suppose that is too much to ask.

#7 ·
I'm not a fan of HOAs either. It was a major consideration in purchasing our home. And you understanding of how HOAs are generally run is true based on my limited experience (friends live in them). Often they are run by stay-at-homes who have nothing better to do than get into peoples' business. So I, for one, wont' flame you on that.

But you're missing the point of the vehicles. A vehicle's "type" only matters as defined either in the document (which it sounds like they haven't) and then by DOT as the de facto standard. So no matter how big and ugly an SUV might be, if its plated as a car, its a car. I suspect the pickups, however, are not, so that might be the best angle of complaint.

Note that conrice is correct that you may create quite an uproar, so consideration of that should be taken into account. But if you're going to be there for a short period of time, I'd do it just to piss them off!

#8 ·
I mean I understand fully that an SUV doesnt really count. But there has to be a reason for not allowing trucks, vans, motorcycles, trailers, boats, or campers. Beyond the motorcycle what all those things have in common is their size. An F150 is always going to be a truck, a Windstar is always going to be a van. Both are in ample supply in the lot. What vexes me is that for a rule to be good, there needs to be logical reasoning behind it and correct enforcement ahead of it. There does not seem to be either in this case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.