New to bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

New to bikes

I have been looking to pick up a cheap bike with lower KMs on it.

Is it really that bad when a bike is dropped?

This is the "dropped" R6 I am looking at.
http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...QAdIdZ89619096

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Advice? Buy a gun. Kill yourself quicker.

Oh, and read the stickies for New Riders....

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

I did look in the New User's section, which wasn't very helpful.

Can somebody help me out, I know cars, not bikes.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Would you give your 16 year old daughter an F-50 for her first car? Or would it be something like a civic?

Is that "car" enough for you?

Read the stickies. People around here don't like new riders asking about Race Replicas. You will always be told to go 250 or 500 for your first bike. If you don't like the advice, then it might be time to look around for other forums. The only thing you'll get here is solid and safe advice.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim c View Post
I did look in the New User's section, which wasn't very helpful.

Can somebody help me out, I know cars, not bikes.
Looking and reading are 2 different animals. Read the stickies, learn some stuff.

Or buy a gun, that works too.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, well I can understand what you are saying about not going straight to the "race bikes", but I just want a 600 for cruising and roadtrips. I don't plan on stunting or racing.

I simply am interested in picking one up, because the acceleration is addicting, the sound is amazing, and it gives me an excuse not to go out and spend 30 grand on car modifications.

And I understand that a smaller displacement tourer might be a better choice for me, but after riding a few different motorcycles, and dirt bikes my whole life, I can comfortably say that riding a sportbike just gives you this incredble exhilarating experience you can't get wit anything else.

Again, I drive with maturity and don't speed anymore than the next person.

I am just wondering about dropped bikes, and what a damaged fairing can actually mean.

Sure looking up the info helps, but to my untrained eye I am unable to tell just how significant the damage is.

Could someone take a look at the pics and let me know what they think?

Thanks
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 PM

You say you understand, and then you go on to explain why you don't. It's been said a million times before... It's not the every day casual riding when you will find yourself in trouble, it is those "oh shit" moments you hadn't planned on. Accelerating and the back end breaks loose... a little gravel mid-corner... old lady pulls out in front of you... etc, etc, etc. Hundreds of people die each year with the same thoughts you are currently expressing.

The advice is buy a 250 or 500. If you don't like it, this isn't the crowd for you. Explaining why you are different from all of the others who came here before you doesn't fly. We've heard it all before. Don't expect us to answer ANYTHING about 600s for a new rider. Take it or leave it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

The bike's going to cost in excess of $700 to fix with OEM parts from the cheapest provider. That's considering the tail isn't scraped/cracked which it doesn't appear to be. That also excludes the turn signal, bar ends, mirror, engine cover, and bent/broken pegs and levers, most of which look to be in usable shape.

So basically, you're going to be paying ~$4400 for something that you're going to fix up, and probably end up dropping again. For that, you could get a pristine, barely used 500 that would suit your needs just fine.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM

they all want you to get 500 because they all want a bike faster then yours, an inferiority complex

if grandma pulls in front of you on the 600, who says she wont on the 500?
to be or not to be, what is going on here

Im getting tired you guys giving new riders guilt trips over this crap! sometimes I think ya'll just do it for fun so you can get-the-joy to see the guy waste his time on a small bike, thinking to yourself ''haha I got this idiot to buy a 500, what a dope, hehe.""

the bike looks fine, dont bother trying to get it fixed/repaired as because it going to be put down again.... but fix that blinker.
What you can try is to get a rubbing compund and try to blend in the scratches to look like they wernt there, there is a product like the a the local automotive store.
Go easy on the bike and yourself, no wreckless actions if you could help it!!!

Last edited by ochoa0042; 11-29-2008 at 11:41 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
they all want you to get 500 because they all want a bike faster then yours, an inferiority complex

if grandma pulls in front of you on the 600, who says she wont on the 500?
to be or not to be, what is going on here

Im getting tired you guys giving new riders guilt trips over this crap! sometimes I think ya'll just do it for fun so you can get-the-joy to see the guy waste his time on a small bike, thinking to yourself ''haha I got this idiot to buy a 500, what a dope, hehe.""
Congratulations, that is the most retarded thing you've ever posted on here.

You've proven yourself to be a squid before. You also showed your propensity for immaturity when you bragged about your trackday experience. If anyone takes you seriously, I pity them.

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode