Is it just me... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Is it just me...

Is it just me or does the ride get more boring after 100mph? The fastest I have gone is just over 100. Iím asking this because a friend of mine says itís the most exhilarating thing to go 160. I personally think its retarded to go that fast on public high ways. The back side of a truck comes up fast at those speeds. He just thinks Iím not experienced enough and I will come around to see it his way some day. Do you guys feel the same way about going fast for the thrill of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:39 PM

Going fast in a straight line is easy; twist the throttle and go. Yeah, it's kinda fun, but not as much fun as going fast 'round a corner, or a series of corners.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
+1

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 AM
Strength and Honor

True 'dat, cookee. My perspective is a monkey can go fast in a straight line (though riding the drag strip is an entirely different subject).

As for riding that fast on the street, its moronic. If you want to go crazy fast go to the strip or a track day. Few things say "poor rider" to me like one who can't control themselves in public. After having ridden the track, I don't bother speeding on public roadways, its just not fun.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is it just me or does the ride get more boring after 100mph? The fastest I have gone is just over 100. Iím asking this because a friend of mine says itís the most exhilarating thing to go 160. I personally think its retarded to go that fast on public high ways. The back side of a truck comes up fast at those speeds. He just thinks Iím not experienced enough and I will come around to see it his way some day. Do you guys feel the same way about going fast for the thrill of it?

You have a great attitude towards this sport and that'll take you a long way. I remember the first time my speedo read 100 it was a little rush, I'm not going to lie (I even made a stupid post on this message board about it). Now that I have more experience I don't even get close to 100 on public streets. If I'm on a ride and people decide to go crazy I just pull aside and meet them at the destination.

That being said, there is really nothing like the front straight at Road America. Coming out of T14 and going WOT for what seems forever as you crest the hill and get that feeling like you are weightless. Head down looking at your lap timer getting ever more anxious to see your lap time. Then your lap time flashes and you start to look for your braking marker. Then its extremely hard on the brakes as you go from 160 mph to your entry speed for T1. You hit your turn in point, knee on the deck at 90mph as you hit the APEX and get back on the throttle hard going down towards T2. That's just about as big of an adrenaline rush as you are going to get on two wheels.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

I knew I wasnít the only one that felt that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweetryan View Post
Then its extremely hard on the brakes as you go from 160 mph to your entry speed for T1. You hit your turn in point, knee on the deck at 90mph as you hit the APEX and get back on the throttle hard going down towards T2. That's just about as big of an adrenaline rush as you are going to get on two wheels.
That sounds like so much fun. Maybe some day I can experience that after a few more years of riding on the street.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM

As others have said, cornering is definitely where it's at. Way more interesting and fun.

However, I will confess that even in a straight line, things do get pretty intense at 150+.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 AM

when it scares the sheet out of you slow down....always been my guvnor....

disclaimer: not for people with no good sense or total lack of any sense, these people should walk or take a taxi for the safety of others as well as themselves

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to sisqo
Going that fast plus is a rush but also VERY dangerous to you and everyone else. I would try it on a drag strip if you must, other than that, I would be content if myself or my bike never got to see triple digits again. I guess I dont get a rush out of playing with my life. To each his own I suppose.....

You have the right to remain silent and errrm open your legs furrr me. -drunk friend and oblivious female-
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweetryan View Post
You have a great attitude towards this sport and that'll take you a long way. I remember the first time my speedo read 100 it was a little rush, I'm not going to lie (I even made a stupid post on this message board about it). Now that I have more experience I don't even get close to 100 on public streets. If I'm on a ride and people decide to go crazy I just pull aside and meet them at the destination.

That being said, there is really nothing like the front straight at Road America. Coming out of T14 and going WOT for what seems forever as you crest the hill and get that feeling like you are weightless. Head down looking at your lap timer getting ever more anxious to see your lap time. Then your lap time flashes and you start to look for your braking marker. Then its extremely hard on the brakes as you go from 160 mph to your entry speed for T1. You hit your turn in point, knee on the deck at 90mph as you hit the APEX and get back on the throttle hard going down towards T2. That's just about as big of an adrenaline rush as you are going to get on two wheels.
I can't wait for my first track day at Road America. Hopefully I can find a good deal on a 600cc sportbike before then so I'm not out there topped out at 130 on my SV650s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode