Still "cook"-ing - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Still "cook"-ing

G'day all,

Just wanted to let y'all know that, yes, I'm still alive after the ski trip. I've just been flat-out with work and haven't had a chance to get over here to say, "G'day!"

Ski trip was a blast; really good snow this year. Nowhere near as good as you guys get, but the best we've had in the past five years. The winds, however, forced the closure of most of the lifts for a few days. Bummer...

This past week has been a sad one for my family, as my Mum's father passed away. He was 86. He'd been in and out of hospital for a while now, so it wasn't necessarilly unexpected. He's always bounced back in the past, but this time he was weaker and weaker each time he came home. He died peacefully at 3:49am, Monday morning and his funeral was Thursday. Instead of a wake, we made it a huge celebration of his life, as Grandpa, being a boating man, believed that a wake was the thing behind a boat!

I'm going to my 20-year high school reunion this arvo (my, how time flies!!!), then going to watch a massive fireworks show that's on every year in Brisbane. The opening and finale of the show is highlighted by a twin "dump and burn" by two F-111 jets.

Haven't been on the bike much in the last few weeks. I been a bit slack and taken the car to work instead of putting all my winter riding gear on. It's starting to warm up again now, though, so I'll start riding again this week. Mrs Tree and I are riding the bike to the reunion and fireworks today, then going on a group ride tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back out there.

Anyway, sorry I've not been around. I hope y'all haven't had a "farewell" ceremony for me, thinking I'd carked it at the snow! I've still got quite a bit on, so I probably won't be around too much for a while, but I will try to drop in a have a chat occasionally.

Take it easy, keep the shiny side up and enjoy life.

Jason (cookeetree).

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 PM

Sorry to hear about your grandfather Cookee. Hopefully this weekend's festivities will take the edge off. Take care.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, mate. Much appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 04:17 AM
Strength and Honor

Whoee, you've got a life outside the Internet? I wonder what that's like....

Glad to hear all's well, health wise. And while its getting warmer there, I'm looking at the wayward side of the riding season

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 AM

I was wondering what the hell happened to you cookee!

Glad to hear the ski trip went well. That reminds me of my trip to Snowshoe, WV when the high winds knocked the power out on the mountain and stranded hundreds of people on the lifts for hours. Hope you were on the ground before they cut off. Sorry to hear about your grandpa too.

Get out there and enjoy that nice weather!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Defintely getting warmer here. I'm not wearing track pants at all during the day now (but still wearing shorts, you perverts...) and don't need the neck warmer for the ride to work. Daytime temps have been mid-70's, too, which is farkin' awesome riding weather.

The down side is, it's only going to get hotter. Summer temp's here average mid-90's. Combined with our high humidity, it makes riding in full gear not too pleasant.

Didn't get stuck on any lifts, thank God. They get everyone off the lifts before putting them on "wind hold". A couple of years ago, I recall being stuck on one for ages, while it was raining. Some peanut had a major mishap getting on at the bottom and they couldn't start the lift 'til the medico's sorted him out.

So, when are one of you bastards gonna come visit? EIEIO, isn't it time you visited your Godfather???

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:30 AM
Strength and Honor

I'll visit when exchange rates become reasonable.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
So, when are one of you bastards gonna come visit?
My Aussie excursion has been postponed until 2010 at the earliest. My roommate invited me to go with her to Hawaii next year. All I gotta buy is a plane ticket. She's got family there so I don't have to worry about hotel/food/etc. Now I just gotta figure out how to ship my Gixxer over there for a week.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
So, when are one of you bastards gonna come visit? EIEIO, isn't it time you visited your Godfather???
I would love to but I don't think I can go without my bike for that long. I should have booked my flight last week, the timing would have been perfect. Sweet talk your better half into letting me use her 250 and I'm there.

How does that work anyway, is my drivers license valid over there? Dear Godfather collects cars at his main home and I'd love to drive on the wrong side of the road legally for a change. I think he heads off to his beach house this time of year though and I'm still not loving the idea of surfing with snakes... And here I thought jellyfish were bad.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I'll visit when exchange rates become reasonable.
I said that a few years back and I'm still waiting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode