Group Riding Warning - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeAddict View Post
I wish it was that easy but the guys that I spent most of time with are the ones who run the club. And it's kinda like you're in or you're out, you gotta wear the colors and have the windscreen logo (which I was catching shit for already). It just sucks.

Thanks for adding that statement and your experiences to the thread.. There are so many people affected by the death over the weekend. With all due respect to the fallen, it's been a devastating eye opener for a lot of people here. A lot of people want out, a lot are changing the way they ride and though I'm not positive, I think there's some like me, who don't even want to ride. I know that will probably change but for now I have absolutely no desire to get back on the bike, it's just sitting.
As cookee noted, that kind of viewpoint is silly. Might as well join the Bloods or Cryps Even if they're MotoGP skilled, their maturity level is clearly not there.

Don't rush back into riding, give it a couple of weeks, then take it for a short spin and see how things feel. It took a couple of weeks after my really serious crash to convince myself that getting back on was the right thing to do. If things go well, later this morning I'll post up the weekend experiences that hopefully have an atoning effect for you. The grass is truly greener on the other side, so don't lose hope!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouraging words Kanwisch. That was really nice. I had actually 'made' myself go out for a ride on Wednesday even though I didn't want to and I regretted it. It was an awful ride and really depressing. I just couldn't twist it and then when I finally forced myself to, it was pretty bad. I wasn't in the right state of mind. How did you crash (if you don't mind posting it)?

My saving grace has been having a great riding partner. He actually canceled a nice ride he had planned for Saturday and rode for over an hour to come drag me out of the house and back on the bike. I guess I was scared after all the recent crashes so he talked me into a slow paced ride, then increased the pace slightly over the course of the day (without me even realizing it). By the end of the day I was riding like normal and having fun. Death wasn't even crossing my mind anymore, just thoughts of body position and lines. Just like normal. It blows me away how much bikers look out for each other sometimes.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:05 AM

Ok ....from now on, we all wear a red bandanna under our lids...

and we hunt down the blue bandanna people and cap em...

or maybe we just go for a ride....anybody got any gas money ?

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
group rides in NOVA are no joke. My fiance is from there, as well as she rides. They ride in huge packs and ride pretty hard. I enjoyed all the times I have ridden there.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeAddict View Post
How did you crash (if you don't mind posting it)?
I'm still trying to find the thread but will post it when I can.

Quote:
My saving grace has been having a great riding partner. He actually canceled a nice ride he had planned for Saturday and rode for over an hour to come drag me out of the house and back on the bike. <snip> It blows me away how much bikers look out for each other sometimes.
IMO, that's important in any riding partner.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duessel View Post
group rides in NOVA are no joke. My fiance is from there, as well as she rides. They ride in huge packs and ride pretty hard. I enjoyed all the times I have ridden there.
Yeah that's kind of the problem though. You might have half of them that are awesome riders that just rail but can do it safely.. Then there's the kids who show up based on what the website says (only 15 mph over the limit riding) and get in waaaaay over their heads. They get put in a position where they lose face if they back down so they try to keep up. Then you have all these noobs around you that don't know what the hell they're doing and speeds they can't handle. If it were a pickier selection process it could be a really great group but when anyone is free to ride (at least once) you just never know what you're going to get when you head out. We've got some sick mountain roads that have no room for error.

I'm actually going to be discussing all of this with the pres. who wants to remove some of the other guys if I'll stay. I don't know if it would be enough for me to go back but at the very least maybe I can help him to see why he needs to break the club into two or three groups on the rides. Maybe I can help make a difference.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 08:39 AM
Strength and Honor

You might also mention the lack of maturity in "requirements" they have. I mean colors and logos

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that one's kinda touchy though.. The guys seem to like it 'cause they know who's who in traffic and at bike shows and all. I was the only girl in the club and the only one who didn't have a supersport so I kept telling them that I didn't want to make them look bad by putting their tag on my bike, lol.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I'm still trying to find the thread but will post it when I can.
Found my crash thread. I guess Search won't return more than 8 pages of results so you have to be pretty specific in what you're searching for, which wasn't working out for me

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 AM

No matter what you or the group does there will always be crashes. Pushing the limit while in a group will always have it's incidents, even professional racers wreck or get wrecked by someone else. If you want to not bear witness to other riders wrecking or getting wrecked by someone else riding solo is the only way to have good odds. I know it sucks but you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode