Second Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Question Second Bike

Hey guys, I could really use some help deciding which bike to buy next. I think I'll be making the switch in November of this year. I'd love to hear everyones opinions, good and bad, about the bikes or suggestions. I'm considering a 600 supersport (Ninja or Gixxer), a 650 (the new SV, full fairings or the Ninja) and also had the Triumph 675 recommended to me.

What I want is something with sporty ergos and better throttle response. I took a CBR600RR for a spin over the weekend and I loved the setup. It makes form easy because you have such an aggressive position, it was just effortless to turn and feels so much lighter than my 500. I don't actually want the CBR though.

My concern is that I could kill myself on a supersport, which is why I'm not ruling out buying another twin. I'm smooth in the corners but the supersport throttle seems to have a very fine line between 'normal on the gas' and 'oh dear god'. Maybe I would adjust but I just don't know how much I trust myself to behave. In my short ride on the CBR I told myself I was just going to go slow... LOL! I was cracking into that thing and didn't even realize I was going 90 mph already. Are certain people doomed to v twins forever? I do like the compression braking on my 500 but it's probably a bit excessive in the long run... Anyway... HELP PLEASE!

Edit: One more thing.. I like shifting a lot when I ride and I don't understand how you're supposed to move around in the gears on a supersport when it seems like you can't even get out of second legally... It's like you can't even use the whole bike.

Last edited by RydeAddict; 08-19-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: More thoughts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:45 AM

How many miles have you racked up on the 500?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

6,300 since I bought her in late April.. Should be around 10k by November.. And the 500 will be going to the track once as well (as long as I'm not too late to book it).

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:04 AM

In my opinion, after 10,000 miles on your Ninja 500 you should be able to buy pretty much whatever bike you want. Including a 600 supersport. As you've already noticed, 4-cylinder sportbikes are sneaky-fast and the throttle is certainly much more sensitive. Not a big surprise considering that you are more than doubling the amount of horsepower between your 500 and a 600 class bike.

The shifting shouldn't be a whole lot different between your 500 and a 600- since both of them make most of their power high up in the rev range and neither of them really have that much torque. You'll be dancing on the 600's shift lever pretty much in the same way as you do your 500.

Going with a 650 twin would be fine too, but there really isn't going to be too dramatic a power difference between them and your 500 (70 rear wheel horsepower vs. 50) and they are not going to have the aggressive ergos and razor sharp handling you seem to be looking for.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

Last edited by zxrider; 08-19-2008 at 07:13 AM.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:07 AM

RA is growing up...

the two 650's are a great deal closer to 500's than they are to 600's. The kawi 650 is a bored out 500, and while the SV traces its roots from a true sportbike (being the TL), it's still very mild. They both make great starters, but there is no point in upgrading from a 500 to a 650.
Liter twins have similar power output to a inline 600. I'm not counting the duc's here, or something like the RC51.
So lets adress the concerns one by one. Yes, you could kill yourself on a 600. Only you can tell if you are ready.
As for brands. The R6 and the 675 seem to fit tall riders best. Its a pretty far reach to the ground.
The honda is the easiest bike to ride. Its just so nice and smooth, and seems like it has no problems doing whatever you want it to, up to a point. It may not be the fastest out there, but I'm almost certain you'll be fastest on it.
The gixxers are probably the most agressive. Awesome bikes, and It would be my choice if I was buying.
The ninja's perform very well on paper, but for some reason they feel slower and heavier than their competition (they aren't). And they are a long ways from pretty in their latest generation.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Oh, shifting and engine braking:
In order to get the most out of a 600, you need to keep the needle in the upper third of the tach, between 10k-15k rpm. At that range the engine is in its band. You will have plenty of power, and plenty of throttle response, and plenty of engine braking. Below it is a mellow range that is enough to get you around, but thats about it. The transition between the two ranges is pretty damn sudden. So yea, you probably can't wind out third gear without risking jail time, but its a race bike, not a goldwing.
What this means is that you will likely have to shift a 600 more than a 500, and be better aware of what gear and what rpm you are in. You do not want to be surprised by the sudden increase in power, or find yourself in too low an rpm, where you get on the gas and nothing happens.
Most older 600's had a gear ratio mismatch. First gear was a touch too short, second a touch too tall, so when you get to the slow stuff, I always wished there was a gear in between first and second. The newest 600 I rode was an '08 cbr, and i dont remember that being a problem, but I didnt look for it either.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

See I knew you guys could help! This is good stuff... And yeah Vash, I'm trying to lose my training wheels.

So it sounds like from what you two have said, the 650/675 options would be disappointing after a month or two.. Now, Vash you said something about liter, v twin bikes.. I don't even know if I've ever seen one. I have a buddy with a RC-51 but yeah that's too much for me and it looks heavy. Other than Ducati, what else is there in that class?

Back to the 600 supersports.. I suppose I'll look up a comparison chart to see which brand out does the other but I'd love to hear some more pros and cons if you guys got any? I do like the look of the Gixxer and CBR moreso than the Ninja, but I just love that Kawi green... I don't know why but for some reason I have it stuck in my head that the Gixxer is going to need a lot of maintainence.. That's not true though, right? I mean, a new bike should be reliable.. Everyone and their cousin has Gixxers around here so maybe it's just cause I always see them all banged up. What makes the Gixxer set up more aggressive than the others?
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Any one of the 600 class bikes is going to be reliable as a stone ax. (The Honda perhaps just a bit more so) The performance difference across the class is perhaps 1%. That being the case, it really just matters what bike fits you best and turns you on the most.

Oh, and don't discount the Triumph 675. It doesn't fit the normal mold, in that it is an inline 3-cylinder engine. You can think of it more as a 600 supersport, as its' performance is directly comparable to that of the Japanese 600 4-cylinders. Personally, I think the 675 is absolutely gorgeous and would be my choice in that class.

As Vash has mentioned a liter-class twin wouldn't be out of the question. But aside from Ducati, I don't know what is left in that class anymore- it's a class that was popular several years ago but has died off. But if you're buying used, there are lots of good choices. Besides the RC-51 you mentioned, there was the Suzuki TL-1000R, TL-1000S, and SV-1000, Honda SuperHawk 996, Ducati 800SS and 1000SS. (all of these have since been discontinued) I feel a used SV-1000S would be the best choice out of this list.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks for all the info zx! It's still going to be tough to choose but this helps! What are you doing in your avatar anyway..? I've been trying to figure that out forever but it's too damn small!
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 AM

Glad to help. Have fun with your bike shopping.

The avatar is a picture of a "Mad Max" burnout. (at least that's what we used to call them back in the 80's) Hold the front brake, apply throttle until tire starts spinning and then slowly walk the bike around in a circle. When you get back to the starting point, keep the throttle pinned, release brake, and burn a straight line through the circle you just created.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0011_IMG.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	30275   Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0012_IMG.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	30277   Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0014_IMG.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	30278   Click image for larger version

Name:	100-0016_IMG.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	30279  

Last edited by zxrider; 08-19-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode