Looking for opinions/suggestions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Looking for opinions/suggestions

New member here, I belong to a few of these style forums and have always been pleased with them.

FYI, Yes I do have riding experience, but it was an old "beater bike" and i got rid of it a while back.

I am looking to get a bike here in the next month. And Id like some input on your favorite/least favorite bikes you have gone through. Long story short, I drive a 3/4Ton pickup, and its my only vehicle. So driving around town, or downtown, or to my buddies places... ill spend $75+ over the weekend. Its ridiculous

I am looking for a nice "full body" look, something as comfortable as possible, and something "comfortable" for an occasional passenger. I have seen a few "crotch rockets" that look passenger friendly, but i have seen a lot that basically look like they're sitting on a band-aide

I have been looking at a few locally, ie. a '05 GSXR 750, '05 CBR 600 F4i, and a YAMAHA YZF600R

Any suggestions or opinions as far as those? Or even a different bike?

Thanks in advance
~Darrin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Welcome
The YZF would probably be the best out of those listed above.

SV650S
GS500 <--Absolutely love the way that thing handles with a passenger.
Ninja 650

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 AM
Strength and Honor

Are you just using this for around-the-town riding or do you have plans to take it to the track or to a drag strip? Do you think you're going to want to ride out into the hills/mountains and ride lots of curves? How long had you ridden the beater?

Unsolicited advice: Get fully geared, whatever you do

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I plan to use it mainly "around town" which can mean up to 40-50 miles each way... i have friends all over. Hence my desire for a nice bike... it gets ridiculously expensive driving a 6.0L crew cab long bed truck with 33" mud terrains around everywhere!!!! On highway, at best, when I'm babying it I'll get 15-17 mpg... Around town I'm looking at 10-12

I do plan on taking some nice scenic trips as well with my brother and father, but the track/strip is not on my list of priorities.

I rode the beater for 2 summers here and there. It was a bike that was literally given to me by my friend who simply did not want it anymore. It started to have too many problems... aka not worth the money to fix compared to the value
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

And thank you as well snake for your input, I appreciate the help. There are certain bikes that I simply dont like the look of too much. Some have a lot smaller bodies, I prefer the "full body look" I also don't like the high perch for the passenger

I'm not looking for the fastest bike on the street, thats not my intent. I, like many of you, just fell in love with the feeling of the ride. A 600-750 will do Just Fine for this guy haha

...To each his or her own...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Strength and Honor

I would suggest a supersport doesn't fit with your riding plans; at least not an inline 4. If I had those priorities an Interceptor or more sport-tourer style would be topping my list.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 AM

Both the F4i and the YZF seem to be perfect for your needs. The F4i has the advantage of being fuel injected, but I have carbs on my bike and have had zero problems in 15000 miles. Smitty on here has a YZF and he always recommends it. You might also consider the ZZR 600, which is what I have. The '04 and older models were a little more comfortable than the '05+. I don't think the 750 is what you're looking for.

I'll also second the 650 Ninja and Interceptor as others mentioned.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:10 AM

Mkeeney went down my exact list of recommendations. So +2 on that.

One other suggestion, not sure if you are looking for used or new bikes. But if you're considering new as well, there is another bike that just came out in 2008 that would fit your requirements perfectly- the Suzuki GSX-650F. And at $6999 MSRP, it's a good deal.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for your help

I found a beautiful silver 2005 600 F4i for sale about an hour away (not far for me haha)

I dont have many details on it yet, but I emailed the owner. The pics on it look spotess, but The only thing I know for a fact is it is a 2005, Silver, what looks to be an aftermarket exhaust but i could be wrong, and it's $4800

When I get more details on it I'll post it up and see what you all think, whether its a good deal or not

~Darrin
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

So I think I finally found one... tell me whether or not i should jump on it

2004 CBR600 F4i
7,300 miles
Beautiful condition
Brand New Tires
Tune-up 600 miles ago

Price... $6,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode