Gravel - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Gravel

How big of a deal is just one small rock? I had the bike leaned in a turn yesterday and didn't see one freaking piece of gravel (maybe half or three-quarters the size of a golf ball). I assumed it would be no big deal and held my line.. It shocked me how much I could feel it and the bike got really unsettled. Obviously it's not ideal to run over things on a bike but is one piece of gravel really that problematic when you're on the sides of your tires? Should I have changed my line?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Like one single pebble? I wouldnt be concerned about it. Small patches of gravel are ussually no big deal, you slide thru them and regain traction on the other side. Its the big patches that tend to be problematic

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Strength and Honor

Like Vash said, small patches aren't really a big deal. In fact, I'm beginning to find the short "ass wriggle" a bit fun. Its taken me a while to get that perspective since in all my cases if you slide too far you're either getting a face full of oncoming cage or hitting one at a stop in the side. Hasn't happened yet! <knock on wood>

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay cool... I wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any kind of traction rules or anything. Like I said, I didn't think it would be a big deal but you could really feel it in the bars so I thought I'd double check. I don't like having to adjust things mid corner and if it were to come up again I wanted to know what exactly I should have done. Thanks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM

1+

You should be ok with small patches of gravel. Sliding the rear is really not that big of a deal as long as you keep the throttle pretty consistent and not panic and make rash moves. I've just learned to ride through those slides now.

Also, it might help if you loosen up on the bars a bit. That reduces that "oh shit" feeling when the rear is sliding.

Just keep the throttle open and the bike would correct itself. You just gotta go along for the ride.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM

All that being said... It's still best if you try to avoid any kind of road hazards, even if its just a small patch of gravel.... cause believe me.. I lowsided last January due to those nasty gravel.... and its no fun.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Like Vash said, small patches aren't really a big deal. In fact, I'm beginning to find the short "ass wriggle" a bit fun. Its taken me a while to get that perspective since in all my cases if you slide too far you're either getting a face full of oncoming cage or hitting one at a stop in the side. Hasn't happened yet! <knock on wood>
HAHA!! I jus got a lil squirrly for the first time on some wet pavement and scared me for a half of sec but as i pulled out of it i loved it
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I used to slide the old F2 just for grins on gravel/wet pavement/etc. The Gixxer has been a little sideways a couple times as well, but I'm a bit more nervous on that one.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 AM

I must be missing something, but how does everyone know it was a rear-end slide and not the front?

BTW Rydeaddict- judging by your new avatar, looks like you are doing a good job learning how to ride the twisties. Keep up the good work!

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks zxrider! That seriously just made my day...

But yeah I felt it in the front end... Though it didn't seem like a slide, more like it ran over it and kinda jumped to the side a little. I don't know the logistics of what the bike was doing at the time (still trying to learn that kind of stuff). I'm not going to worry about it (or doing it again) and hopefully next time I won't stare right at it (yeah I knew better).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode