Riding in the rain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Riding in the rain

This morning I opted not to ride the bike into work because of a 30% chance of rain. My wife pointed out that the Sept '08 Cycle World suggests you should be able to ride in all conditions. My issue isn't really riding in the rain, its cleaning up after the rain that I hate.

My worst crash did occur partly from some rain so I admit some leeriness, but it wouldn't stop me from a riding perspective.

Why do you avoid riding in any particular weather condition?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 08-04-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 AM

I don't really like to ride in the rain or on a wet road mainly for the same reason you stated, I get tired of detailing the bike. And I tend to doubt my traction which causes me to ride with a little worry in the back of my mind (which could distract me).

I also don't care for riding when there's a heat index of 100 degrees or higher. I've found that I do not ride well when I'm uncomfortable. I end up riding sloppy, I get distracted and I lose most of my focus. If it's going to be a hot one I'll opt to go out early or late, but not at noon!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 AM

Never worried too much about detailing my bike, as its just going to get dirty again.

That said, I avoid riding in heavy rain, because I dont like to get soacked.
And I avoid riding in the snow, because its fucking cold.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:14 AM

The only times I don't ride to work are if it's already raining in the morning (rare here) or if it's below freezing, or if I'm not alert enough. I've found that I actually enjoy riding when it's in the 40's with snowmobile pants and a balaclava.

I've washed my bike maybe 5 times in the 3 years I've owned it. Rain doesn't hurt it.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 09:48 AM

I won't ride when it's below 40F because I'm not fond of freezing my ass off. I also won't ride in hail, a tornado, a hurricane, or a tsunami for reasons that should be obvious.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 03:12 PM

I wont ride when its raining hard enough where my visibilty is significantly decreased or when other driver's visibilty of me is very low. So far I've ridden on light showers/rain and the wet pavement really didnt bother me as much as i thought it would.

Also, if its too hot to wear a jacket or some decent long sleeve shirt, I normally dont ride. I dont like riding with inadequate protection.... Then again, I live where traffic is not so bad that even though its 90+ (it was 96 yesterday), I'm still able to ride comfortably with full gear on.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Ride year round here high in the Rockies. Road conditions will be a showstopper but not temps. If it is raining I tend to not go out on a ride, but have been caught by rain so many times I'm quite used to it. There's actually something quite sublime about being on a rain ride if one is warm and dry. I also have a clean-the-bike-after-a-ride mindset, but really, it only takes 5-10 minutes longer to clean the bike after a rain ride. A sportbike with fairing makes it a cinch.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 AM

lol

I remember the last time I got caught riding in the rain.... I was like, oh well, what can i do.. and i just, for some reason, started singing "I'm singing in the rain, what a glorious feeling....." and I was moving my head from side to side. People were just looking at me like I was crazy and I'd just wave at them and keep doing it.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 AM

with the right tires it is no problem at all
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
And I avoid riding in the snow, because its fucking cold.

it dont snow in the desert

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode