Turn Points - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Turn Points

I am curious to know if most of you guys actually plan turning points in your corners when you ride (on the street). That may be a stupid question but only one way to find out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Are you talking about planning the route?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

That book was saying something about choosing a turn point (to turn the bike) in each turn but I don't think I do that. Does that make sense?

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Oh, for each corner. I don't really do it, I just kinda feel out the road and adjust for things like gravel, etc. I think once I get a couple track days under my belt, I'll probably be able to improve my lines on the street, but until then I'm just out to have fun.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 04:33 AM
Strength and Honor

I have, this season, been making an effort to pick the entry point for my turns where I knew I can have some speed in them. Unfortunately gravel gets in the way the vast majority of time. I do NOT pick out the apex or exit mainly because I can't see all the way through the turns, but they generally end up being the same anyway.

As for braking or slowing points ahead of the entry point, I don't do it mostly because it depends on how fast I'm moving, which is based on traffic patterns, my proximity to the local LEOs, weather, crop heights, etc.

In case you miss the underlying theme here, doing this stuff on the track is precisely why its considered the most efficient route to becoming a better rider. You practice all the important points of cornering in a controlled (usually) environment and go over them again and again. It has been said the best modification to any bike is rider training and I doubt anyone could argue that to be false

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 AM

Do it on every corner, once I know the corner. If its the first time I see it, no planning is possible, unless its a short street corner where you can see thru it. Still, without planning ahead its hard to get it even close to right. If there is gravel or bad chunk of pavement, I plan a line to compensate for it. Wether turn in late, or early, or double apex or whatever. Tracks do not put easy corners for you, they put in tricky ones. You know, the off camber, decreasing radius, uphill-downhill blind stuff. Yea with a crest to really throw you off. Whats a pothole?
As for braking, I make it an effort to hit the brakes, even if I am going slow enough to make the corner. It ussually nothing more than a light tap that doesnt really change my speed, just flashes the light. Just to train my hand to do it.

Well, early morning I dont plan anything. I'm a total zombie

post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:35 AM

If I can see my way through the corner, or it is one that is already familiar, I definitely do. However, as has been mentioned by many here, I often have to modify my lines due to unexpected variability in road conditions.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Okay that helps, thanks everyone! I was riding yesterday and trying to pick turn points but couldn't figure out how to do that when I couldn't even see thru the turn. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong (shocker) but I guess it's not necessary on every turn then. I am just trying to get into the habit of doing things right so maybe it will become second nature one day. I like the idea that Vash had of grabbing the brake even if it's not necessary to train the hand. That's just what I'm trying to do, kind of get myself trained so things become automatic (to a certain extent).

Edit: You know, I just read that again and confused myself, lol. Is choosing a line the same as choosing a turn point? Because I pick a line for every turn but I never think about where I'll turn/counter steer, I just do it. I just try and pick the line that will allow me to roll on the throttle quickly. Am I missing something?

Last edited by RydeAddict; 07-11-2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Stupidity?
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM

Its simular. The line will connect the points, but with points there is additional information. When you select a line, you select the points as well, but if you dont do so consiously, then the selection is arbitrary to a degree. I mean, if you select a line for maximum acceleration, than you must also select the point at which you will start accelerating, no?

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I just busted out laughing when I read that last line.. I'm such a tool. You're right, when I pick a line the beginning point of my acceleration is my turn point. What a dumbass. Thanks Vash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode