Anticipating the dog - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Anticipating the dog

A house on the way into my subdivision recently added a Doberman to their brood. I love them but it doesn't show any love for my 636. Every time I pass the house it comes running and barking pretty aggressively. I must pass this house twice a day, there are no go-arounds.

The dog appears to be held up by an invisible fence and I'm very concerned he's going to ignore it one day, spring out to me, and cause a very serious incident. Anyone got any suggestions on dealing with this?

I cannot blow by the house at an insane speed b/c the house is at a four-way stop which is frequented by pedestrians and kids on bicycles. Besides, my neighbors would freak out.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Have you voiced your concern to the owners? Perhaps they should put a little more thought into how to restrain their dog. I know if someone's dog caused me to get into an accident, I'd be suing them for a pretty penny.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 AM

Wow, that really sucks. When I had a dog try to run out on me I took a page from the msf book and slowed until I got somewhat close to it (about two car lengths) then I took off, which is suppose to throw off their timing. In your case, maybe you could just gas it for a second to pull away since you're in a residential. However, that won't help once you get home if it's still following you... Pepper spray..?

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
However, that won't help once you get home if it's still following you... Pepper spray..?
I think if I got a doberman on my heels I'm going to go around the block until it gets tired. If it's far enough behind but still giving chase, I'd hope there was a loaded shotgun right inside the garage door.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:07 AM

Well, I sometimes scare off dogs by pulling in the clutch and giving the engine a rev to 8k+ plus. Its loud enough to make most dogs uncomfortable. But if he is hellbent to get at ya, than either kick him at speed (I dont think he will forget that) or if you got no other choice run him over.
I love dogs, but not so much I'd let one hurt me.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM

I was stopped at a stop sign one day when I had a dog come biting at my heels.Nothing was coming so I was able to take off but if something had been coming I don't guess I would of had a choice but to bit.I'll take the bite over the automobile.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 PM

I kicked at a dog once on this dirt road at really slow speed and the after reaction of my kick put me in this freshly graded ditch full of large rocks and dirt and poison oak, took me about 20 minutes to get my bike out after which i was covered in dirt and poison oak....that sucked....I swear the dog was laughing
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKninjaZX9 View Post
I kicked at a dog once on this dirt road at really slow speed and the after reaction of my kick put me in this freshly graded ditch full of large rocks and dirt and poison oak, took me about 20 minutes to get my bike out after which i was covered in dirt and poison oak....that sucked....I swear the dog was laughing
Your mom may have fallen for that story, but I want to hear the truth

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 02:54 AM

just a minute I'll put the dog on....

sorry mate, mexican dog, no hablo englais
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKninjaZX9 View Post
sorry mate, mexican dog, no hablo englais
I think cookee is rubbing off on someone

-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode