Pushing the limit... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Pushing the limit...

... of photography, motorcycle riding and the patience of people at the same time.

Imagine being an officer and pull over some "kid" on a motorcycle that looks like it was stolen and the "kid" riding it like it was stolen, then the "kid" hops off with a smile and starts shooting the cops with automatic fire. You may start to think that this was a premise of some serious shootout with the police, leaving collateral damage, but the only thing being discarded was digital data with magazine clips replaced by flash cards and battery packs.

The story:
Quote:
I got pulled today by a Raleigh cop and the first thing that popped in my head "Oh cool, photo Op"

I got pulled for "unnecessary acceleration" but was cited for "illegal tag placement". Had my 1D camera in my tank bag so I whipped it out and started to take pictures of the area, my bike, and the cop car. I started to move my bike a little bit to get the right angles and the two cops were staring at me as if I was retarded...

They asked me what I was doing and I just told them "the last time I took a picture of my bike pulled, I didn't have the bike back together." Then they asked why and said "last time I did it, I won a few photography awards and paid for my ticket."

I also had to educate them about my full rights as a photographer in public. I thought it was funny that I had a smile on my face the whole time just because I knew they thought it was odd. Was also moving my bike around to get the perfect angle and when the officer tried to hand me my ticket, I said "wait wait wait *click click click click click* ok done".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Farkin' classic, mate!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 03:40 AM

That's beautiful. Absolutely f*cking brilliant. You're one badass mf-er!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 AM

That's it? That's all we get? I want to see the pic of the cop handing you the ticket.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
That cop does not look amused

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM

I'm glad when you and your wallet are "under the gun" the first thing that comes to mind is photo op
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM

I'd love to have seen a pic of the cop actually on your bike.

On a group ride, a couple of months ago, some cops pulled up to the cafe we were stopped at. One of them was checking out a pink Can-Am Spyder that one of the girls rides. We ended up getting pic's of him on it!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I like it.

What rights as a photographer? I am interested in hearing since one day I may be able to use that right.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

As long as the public can access the location, you can take pictures. Media coverage and usage is a little different as the message shouldn't, ethically that is, be made out of context, but you should still be able to take pictures.

Police are public figures and are in public view. I've had police officers threatening to "dispose or brake" my camera, but I always "inform" them that I had as much right to keep on taking pictures, unless the area is blocked off and under investigation. Some tried to take forcefully (verbally, not physically) confiscate my camera/memory card, but a quick call to a photo editor or lawyer gets them off my back and most of the time, it's regular patrol cops who don't know the proper procedures of handling the media.

My friend was actually with me when I got pulled over and he parked and got out to accompany me. The "junior cop" yelled at my friend to move along and that he had no right to be here, even though he was 15 feet away on a public sidewalk. My friend starts to take pictures and it pissed of the "junior cop". I say junior cop because he looked he was 15 and acted like one too. There was another cop, the one in the picture, who was much more level headed and tried to cool him down.

They told my friend to leave the area as it was under an investigation... I know the law and a traffic violation isn't an investigation. Maybe he used the wrong phrase of words, but he was in the wrong to "force a pedestrian off public sidewalks and command him to get back into his car". I could have easily been an asshole and made my friend stay and claim him to be my legal council, but that would probably make situations much more worse.

After my friend left, I continued on being me and took pictures of anything and everything. A tree, a bug, the building, the bike, a rock... you get the picture. After that, they were much more less jumpy.

With that being said, My friend and I are looking into legal actions against the city of Raleigh, but we'll probably not do a thing. We'll just mention the situation to the DA as a complaint and request that the two officers be "properly trained in media relations". The last thing you want to do is to piss off the media, especially with my past track record. I mean seriously... why fuck with a guy who has a handicapped sticker on the side of his bike and carries a big ass camera everywhere like a fuckin samari sword??? That's just more trouble that its worth and what I strive for.

Last edited by JBaz; 07-05-2008 at 02:16 AM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM

JBaz,

I'll gladly pay whatever ticket you get when you come to Cali and take some quality photos of my 996! I could really have used your service when I submitted my bike for the US MotoGP Ducati Superbike Concourso - but they actually accepted my bike to compete at Laguna Seca on July 18-20 anyways! All I have is a 4mp Kodak camera, but I guess it did the trick, I'm totally stoked.

So how much should I save up to get you here????

Dan T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode