Crazy Cagers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Crazy Cagers

Hey all, I'm wondering if anyone has some tips for how to deal with assholes in traffic. Friday night I had a guy pull up next to me at a stoplight in his car and try to get my attention. I had changed into his lane (right) a minute before the light because I was getting ready to turn soon. He apparently didn't like that and had switched into the left lane as we got to the light. I ignored him and when the light turned I took off a little faster than normal and left him behind. Anyhow, I go about a block or two and slow down while getting into the right turn lane. This guy dives his car from the left lane all the way over into mine and almost takes me out! He was about two feet from hitting me but I was able to break quick enough to send him in front of me somewhat. Does this happen to you guys too or am I doing something wrong here?

Between him, some guy who freaked out and passed me on the shoulder and a mentally unstable relative trying to hit me with his truck, I'm starting to develop a real phobia of traffic. It never bothered me before but now I'm freaking pissed and nervous when cars are all around me. Sorry for the rant, any tips would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Best thing to do when there's wankers around you is to pull over for a minute, let them get way ahead, then cotinue on your way.

A minute of your time versus potentially losing your life...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeAddict View Post
I'm starting to develop a real phobia of traffic. It never bothered me before but now I'm freaking pissed and nervous when cars are all around me. Sorry for the rant, any tips would be appreciated!
Good, that phobia will save you life one day. My advice is to keep plenty of distance between yourself and other cars, and always have a way out, never let yourself get boxed in. If you are forced to get close, do so aggressively, passing people before they can do anything about it.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips (and ego check). About aggressive riding in traffic though, my friends all do this but I avoid it. I thought weaving around traffic was dangerous and irresponsible. When I'm in the city I don't pass much (the middle lane is a bad spot to be) but my friends fly around everyone. Is it better to do that and get out of the way or to ride slower and be cautious with the cars around you?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
The faster you're going, the less time you have to react in any given situation. Also remember that passing someone does not eliminate them from being a danger. They can't stop as fast as you, but they might not be smart enough to figure that out. You'll never be able to eliminate the treat that cagers pose, but being as attentive and prepared as possible is certainly your best bet.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Gotcha, thanks superman! Hey, I wasn't clear on something that I read and was hoping you could clear it up for me if you don't mind... If you're only supposed to make one steering input per turn and keep on the throttle, is it still okay to adjust your lean angle if you lined it up wrong? Sometimes I go in with too much angle and only after reading that chapter did I realize that I was making more than one steering input in some turns. What's my best bet to correct it at that point?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Strength and Honor

My philosophy on cage locations is that I never pass unless I'm doing 5mph faster at least because a car in front of me is faaaaar safer than a car right behind me. Otherwise, I just draft behind them until I get a sense they're slowing for a turn, when I usually dump 2 gears and pass.

After my rear-ending, I trust nobody to be too close to the back of my bike.

Of course, I don't deal with city traffic very often, so its a luxury

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 06-30-2008 at 04:54 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
The more inputs you make to the bike, the more likely you are to unsettle the chassis. However, chances are you aren't close enough to the limits for additional steering inputs to be detrimental, especially if they are smooth. Ideally, you want to keep your line through a corner, but a lot of times corrections are needed. And the bike will handle most of those corrections in stride.

If you watch motorcycle racing (AMA, SBK, MotoGP) you'll see that sometimes they have to make corrections mid-corner if they get in too hot, or to avoid other riders, but for the most part they stick to their lines. That's where you're going to be fastest.

That being said, I think you'd be better off focusing on a good line through the corners, and you will become smoother. If you're just trying to get into the corner as fast as you can, you need to change your approach.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 AM

The idea is to make the right steering input the first time around. You can make mild adjustments to your line with the throttle, more of it will make you go wider, less will pull you to the center. For slightly more radical corrections, use your body. Pull the bike further down with you outside knee, or move your upper body to shift the center of gravity. You want to have only one countersteering input, if possible.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks guys. I am trying to focus on finding and holding a good line right now. I want a faster entry speed but that's last on my list for now. With everything that I've been learning my riding is much more smooth and I understand the bike so much more. Nothing beats the feeling of getting it just right in a turn. But just yesterday I went into one too fast and didn't know the road, it turned out to be a decreasing radius with a nasty dropoff on the outside of the turn. My eyes shot straight to the drop off (not the turn) and I chopped the f*cking throttle. I was insanely pissed at myself. But if I'm getting this right, that's one type of turn where you have to let off the gas, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode