Bringing Carbs back from the dead - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Bringing Carbs back from the dead

So I'm fixing an 80's honda shadow for a friend. It had "Electrical problems". Some time ago someone put a new ignition module on it (dont know if it needed it or not) and a battery, and then gave up and put it in a storage container. Two years later I rolled it out of there.
The electrical problem ended up being a bad starter solenoid (that took about 30 minutes to figure out. 20 of those minutes were spent trying to figure out how to get the seat off). Now the engine is cranking.
When placing a new spark plug into the boot, the plug fires. I have not removed the plugs from the engine (there are two per cylinder). Also, there were mud dobber nests in the air cleaner, and over the carbs ( those are bee like creatures that make their nests out of mud).
While I still have to bleed the brakes and clutch, I figure the engine will be ready to fire (or at least try to). So I drained the tank, which has a very annoying second tank underneath the seat, and drained the carbs.
My question is, is there anything I need to do to refill the bowls on the carbs? or will they refill by themselves when I get new gas in the tank?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
It seems to me that they would refill once you put some fuel back in, though you might need to let it crank a little bit. A friend of mine knows quite a bit about that kind of stuff, and I should see him tonight. If so, I'll see what he says.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,
I really hope I dont have to take them apart. I got no way of syncing them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM

Put some diesel fuel in the tank. about a pint for 5 gallons. It'll smoke some but you'd be amazed how clean everything will get.

Just a side note: When I was a kid I ran a lawnmower with out any oil in it. It seized up and was f'd. My dad's friend came over loosened it up and ran some diesel through it. It ran like it was brand new and lasted several years after that.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Strength and Honor

Vash, carbs will refill themselves. However, on my 80's Honda the fuel petcock wouldn't allow fuel to flow unless there was vacuum from the engine, which was a problem when I'd cleaned out everything. I ended up using a MightyVac to pull some vacuum to ensure the carbs were filled BEFORE I bothered to turn the engine over. This helped prevent the battery from dying out before I had a chance to get the engine fired up.

HTH.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

The battery is another issue alltogether. So far, I've had jumper cables connecting it to my truck, and I see no reason why an engine cant be started that way. I'm told someone put a new battery in it before putting it up for two year storage. I dont know if I should bother trying to charge it (dont have a trickle charger) or just get a new one. The one in there is still the refillable kind, it might be better to just cough up $50-$70 and put a sealed battery in there.
And I gotta find a place to redo the seats... thats not going to be easy.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 05:48 AM
Strength and Honor

I presume you checked the battery for fluid level then. If it was full, I'd definitely give it a shot charging it.

As for upholstery, many marine and auto upholsterers will do a good job for low cost on seating

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Update: After much cleaning I put everything back together and tried starting it up. That when I found out that the chock lever only moves back a quater of the distance it should. Without choke, the bike does not start up (also it fires if you spray fuel into the intake).
I checked the chock cables, they seemed free, so reluctantly, I took everything apart again, and started disassembling the carbs. I was going at it from the diaphram side, so as to avoid removing the carb from the engine.
Come to find out, both the plunger that make the chocke valves are frozen in their bores. After much love and some WD40 one came loose. The other stayed stuck, and I tore the cable off it trying to free it.
New (used) carbs run for about $150 on ebay. If I can find some place to buy a new plunger, I can drill and tap the one in there, and force it out. Otherwise I'm afrain I'll have to change the carbs out.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Update: After much cleaning I put everything back together and tried starting it up. That when I found out that the chock lever only moves back a quater of the distance it should. Without choke, the bike does not start up (also it fires if you spray fuel into the intake).
I checked the chock cables, they seemed free, so reluctantly, I took everything apart again, and started disassembling the carbs. I was going at it from the diaphram side, so as to avoid removing the carb from the engine.
Come to find out, both the plunger that make the chocke valves are frozen in their bores. After much love and some WD40 one came loose. The other stayed stuck, and I tore the cable off it trying to free it.
New (used) carbs run for about $150 on ebay. If I can find some place to buy a new plunger, I can drill and tap the one in there, and force it out. Otherwise I'm afrain I'll have to change the carbs out.
Tried penetrating oil or penetrating lubricant? I've had situations where WD-40 didn't cut it (no pun intended) but those did after a night's soak. I sure hope that carb replacement isn't necessary.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I thought WD40 was penetrating. Anyways, Ronayers sells parts for carb year 85+. Dont know the year of the bike yet, but manual was printed in 84. I think its a fairly safe bet that carbs didnt change in between. The bike designation is the same VT700C.

Did I mention I hate carbs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode