purchasing a used bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

purchasing a used bike

Hello everyone, I haven't been on here for quite some time. I'm sure many of you remember me from about 2 years ago lol Well anyway, selling my gsxr750 was the worst descision I have ever made and I think it's time to get onto another bike. I just looked at a 2004 R1 with micron slip on, power commander III, Brembo brake package, scotts rotary damper, and a few other small odds and ends. The bike is black and much of the frame is done in red chrome. When i went to go look at the bike, I was amazed at how clean it was. The thing looks like it just rolled off the showroom. When I turned the key, I was amazed to see that it has 14K miles on it. I'm still very interested in this bike eventhough 14K is a lil much for me, I would like to get a bike with a lil less mileage on it. The guy wants $5,000 firm. Any opinions on the price of the bike/mileage would be appreciated. Thanx.. Looking forward to being on here again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage. My bike is about to roll over to 14K and I don't have any doubt that it'll get 2-3X more miles before I'm done with it.

I'd also say that if he has maintained it as well as you say, 5K is a pretty fair price. But it's your money, and others here tend to disagree with me sometimes, so wait till a few more people chime in.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the speedy reply. 5K does sound like a pretty reasonable price to me. I'm open to all opinions. I just want to be sure I don't make a mistake by buying this bike. The bike is immaculate, when he first rolled it out of the garage I thought it only had a couple thousand miles on it. After looking at plenty of used bikes within the past week, I have come to realize that it's hard to find a sportbike thats not molested. I have come across bikes with dented frames, cracked case covers, leaky forks, etc.. So when I first saw this bike it was like love at first site LOL Is there anything specific I should look for on an R1. I don't know too much about the yamahas, I have allways been a suzuki guy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Chances are if he takes that much pride in keeping it nice, he keeps up on the maintenance as well. As far as make-specific things to look for, I wish I could help you, but if it were me, I'd just be looking for signs of crashes or misuse (some of the first things I look for are leaking fork seals and rubber on the undertail from burnouts). Chances are, someone who puts 14K on a bike and keeps it looking nice doesn't abuse it. Just give it a thorough once-over, or see if you can find a local bike mechanic that will meet you out there and go over it for you.

What is your overall impression of the owner? Age/maturity/etc can tell you a lot about how they treat bikes too.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

The owner is actually a friend of mine. He has only had the bike for about 2 months, but is forced to sell it due to some unfortunate financial problems that have come about. I think I might just go with it and buy this bike.. Like you said. If someone puts 14k on a bike and keeps it looking like it only has 3k on it, they have most likely kept up on the maitnence as well as appearance. I do all the work on my bike myself. Anything from rebuilding forks to rebuilding motors, and from my mechanical point of view this bike seems flawless. The only turn of is 14K miles. I know it's not a big deal, but it will become one if I have to eventually sell the bike, because people who don't know much about bikes think that this is a rediculous amount of mileage.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

You're starting to sound like me if you're worried about the resale value of a bike you haven't even bought yet.
You're right, it's going to be harder to sell it due to the miles, but the way I look at it, I wouldn't consider selling an R1 to anyone who doesn't know enough to realize that 14k isn't pushing the envelope for bike miles.

Now that I think about it, I can't think of anyone (that I know personally) who has maintained their bike, and had it give out due to miles. In fact, I think there was a member on here ("Dad" maybe) who had a honda with well over 100K miles that was still going strong. Most bikes get totaled or blown up due to abuse/neglect before they live out their life.

-Will Rogers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie_steve View Post
The owner is actually a friend of mine. He has only had the bike for about 2 months, but is forced to sell it due to some unfortunate financial problems that have come about. I think I might just go with it and buy this bike.. Like you said. If someone puts 14k on a bike and keeps it looking like it only has 3k on it, they have most likely kept up on the maitnence as well as appearance. I do all the work on my bike myself. Anything from rebuilding forks to rebuilding motors, and from my mechanical point of view this bike seems flawless. The only turn of is 14K miles. I know it's not a big deal, but it will become one if I have to eventually sell the bike, because people who don't know much about bikes think that this is a rediculous amount of mileage.
That info helps a lot. From a used standpoint, besides obvious problems the question of whether its a track bike or used for stunting makes quite a bit of difference in how used it really is. Mileage is far less important to me too. The price seems right.

Initially I was concerned about the coloration of the frame since that'd be a great way to hide frame blemishes from a get-off. But if you know the person and trust that's quite unlikely, then it sounds like a good deal.

And welcome back

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:10 AM

Did you say a brembo brake package? Not just the pads, but calipers, rotors, lines and master cylinder? Thats over 3k in itself. I would buy that bike for that price, if it had rash down one side. 14k miles isnt anything to sweat about.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:32 AM

$5000 is a good price for a totally stock 2004 R1, let alone for one with the thousands of dollars in add-ons your friend has there. Personally, I think it's a smoking deal.

14,000 miles aint jack. I wouldn't be concerned with that at all.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode