Pipes + Cops - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Angry Pipes + Cops

So I was so excited to get my new pipes yesterday. Throw them on and man are they loud. It was so awesome, but now? I kind of hate them...

It lasted two hours before I got popped. I was out on this awesome road pushing the bike a little down a straight away, I get near the end and slow down. Go down a hill and see a cop with someone pulled over who was headed in the other direction (on the other side of the road). So of course I'm thinking, 'Oh shit' and then he walks out into the road in front of me and wants me to stop. Which wasn't easy either, btw what is the deal with new pavement? I had to lock it up for the first time and my tires were squeeling (uh, is that normal?) and I just barely get stopped in time.

Anyway, he proceeds to tell me he has no way to prove that I was speeding but he knew I must have 'just been flying' then launches into this 'you're going to be dead/do you want to die' speech. It was freaking horrible. He's like telling me he going to have to go find my dead body and the guy he had pulled over is 'completely trashed and what do I think would have happened if he hadn't been there to stop him from coming towards me at that speed'. Man I felt like the biggest piece of shit by the time he was done with me. No ticket but geez...

So I was wondering, was I way out of line to push it on a nice big open straight away? I mean there was nothing around and you could see like a mile up the road. I know he's just doing his job and all... But you guys speed don't you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Yay, I made your sig!!!

As you can tell from the vids I sent you, I do not speed at all.

</sarcasm>

At the point that the officer stated he couldn't prove anything, I would have asked him if I was going to be cited for any other violations. When he said no, I would say have a nice day and ride off. Just about everyone with a sportbike winds it out from time to time. It's part of the game. But you have to be careful because they are watching for you, and will bust you when they get a chance. Most cops have a hard on for sportbikes and they'll watch you like a hawk. That's one of the problems with pipes...they can hear you coming a mile away.

So to answer your question, no most riders don't see a problem with twisting the throttle every now and then (or every chance they get) but illegal is illegal, so be cautioned that you are taking a chance every time you do it.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess they arrest you and take your bike don't they? Last time I got popped on my quad they were going to take it and the vehicle I had driven there... But I kissed ass and they let me go.

post #4 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Depends on the offense. If it's speeding or something (nothing crazy like 20-30+ over) then it's just a ticket. Basically the same rules apply as with a car, so you gotta do something pretty bad to get hauled off in cuffs. The only problem is, it's easier to be really bad on a bike.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeAddict View Post
But I kissed ass and they let me go.
Another prime example of the power women have in society

-Will Rogers
post #6 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Depends on the offense. If it's speeding or something (nothing crazy like 20-30+ over) then it's just a ticket. Basically the same rules apply as with a car, so you gotta do something pretty bad to get hauled off in cuffs. The only problem is, it's easier to be really bad on a bike.
Yeah I was actually in the process of breaking my own personal speed record. So I'm thinking it would have been the cuffs...

Man I saw one guy getting his bike taken by the law one day. The tow truck driver straight up dropped it on it's side and pulled it up onto his truck like that. I was in shock. But I guess they can get away with that...
post #7 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Another prime example of the power women have in society
That's a rosey outlook and all but it's only like that if you play that game. Really it's the other way around the second someone wants it to be.
post #8 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Man I saw one guy getting his bike taken by the law one day. The tow truck driver straight up dropped it on it's side and pulled it up onto his truck like that. I was in shock. But I guess they can get away with that...
They'd better have me pretty well restrained if they try that with my bike.

Of course with my mouth, I'd probably get a pretty good dose of "shock therapy" and have no clue what was going on.

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
That's a rosey outlook and all but it's only like that if you play that game. Really it's the other way around the second someone wants it to be.
Uh oh, I can sense a fem power trip about to occur.

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Uh oh, I can sense a fem power trip about to occur.
Nah, that was it.

But hey, I did notice that my bike is breathing much better now. It seems to just move thru the gears now much quicker, which did cause me to over rev it a lot. I suppose it'll take some getting use to. That means I got a little more low end, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode