You vs. Tractor Trailer..? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

You vs. Tractor Trailer..?

Okay, don't rip into me for this one. I just have to ask...

I live in an area with A LOT of big trucks with drivers that just push their way around traffic. Yesterday I was cut off by a semi and I am wondering what the best course of action is for this situation. I really wanted to swerve around him and go on about my way (he was not fully into the road yet). But I was good and sloooooooowed down, waited (ten minutes) for him to get that thing into the road and crawled behind him the rest of the way. While I am trying not to 'get dead' out there I'm not sure where to draw the line between being cautious and being too cautious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by RydeAddict View Post
Okay, don't rip into me for this one. I just have to ask...

I live in an area with A LOT of big trucks with drivers that just push their way around traffic. Yesterday I was cut off by a semi and I am wondering what the best course of action is for this situation. I really wanted to swerve around him and go on about my way (he was not fully into the road yet). But I was good and sloooooooowed down, waited (ten minutes) for him to get that thing into the road and crawled behind him the rest of the way. While I am trying not to 'get dead' out there I'm not sure where to draw the line between being cautious and being too cautious...
Rule of thumb: The vehicle with the biggest (or most) tires has the right-of-way. If it's clear to go around them, you can do that, but what you did was the smartest choice.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Rule of thumb: The vehicle with the biggest (or most) tires has the right-of-way. If it's clear to go around them, you can do that, but what you did was the smartest choice.
Damn smart choices always squashing the fun. You wouldn't think New York would have so many big trucks... I may have to start riding on the sidewalk.

I actually had some jerkoff in a van try and 'race' me yesterday too. His POS sounded like it was going to blow up. I almost died laughing when I went ripping by him (in 2nd gear)...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
<snip> I'm not sure where to draw the line between being cautious and being too cautious...
No such thing as too cautious.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Alright, one more question (if anyone's alive this week)...

Doing 'The Box' in the BRC has left me with a little more confusion then I had hoped for. They had us on these little rebel 250's cranking the bars almost full lock to make the figure eight. But I can't turn the bars that much on my bike can I? I was under the impression that the turning is sharper on sportbikes... I wanted to try out everything from the class on my bike (due to the huge difference between the two) but I'm not trying to drop it. How far is too far?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Alright, one more question (if anyone's alive this week)...

Doing 'The Box' in the BRC has left me with a little more confusion then I had hoped for. They had us on these little rebel 250's cranking the bars almost full lock to make the figure eight. But I can't turn the bars that much on my bike can I? I was under the impression that the turning is sharper on sportbikes... I wanted to try out everything from the class on my bike (due to the huge difference between the two) but I'm not trying to drop it. How far is too far?
First most semi drivers are biker friendly, not sure of your scenario but most semi drivers look out for bikes and try to give the bike room to do whatever...that is so long as you don't act like a typical idiot cager (cutting them off 3 feet in front of them and/or cutting them off and then braking to a crawl/halt, or stuff like that)

As far as the "box", there's no reason why you can't do it on ANY bike at full lock...the locks were put there to prevent you from going too sharp, so yes you can do the maneuver at full lock. Just like the BRC it takes practice though. If you have doubts I suggest you watch this video. The bike he does it on weighs 850 or so lbs. In real on street riding though you rarely will go full lock since there will usually be room to do it at less than full, that and as your instructors have probably said there are many riders who are afraid to slow-ride
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Catback;649943]...most semi drivers look out for bikes and try to give the bike room to do whatever...QUOTE]
+1

I regularly have trucks move over (ride the shoulder) to let me past. Be nice to them, they're (generally) nice to you.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catback View Post
As far as the "box", there's no reason why you can't do it on ANY bike at full lock...the locks were put there to prevent you from going too sharp, so yes you can do the maneuver at full lock. Just like the BRC it takes practice though. If you have doubts I suggest you watch this video. The bike he does it on weighs 850 or so lbs. In real on street riding though you rarely will go full lock since there will usually be room to do it at less than full, that and as your instructors have probably said there are many riders who are afraid to slow-ride
I was one of them (afraid to slow ride). Parking lots gave me nightmares... The class totally got me over that though (very quickly too). I'm basically a completely different person on my bike now. But I had always wondered why the bars were made to turn so much, when you aren't supposed to turn them that far anyway. I suppose I was misinformed though... Thanks for the video
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:46 PM

i know someone who hit a semi, probably different 'scene' but . . . totaled bike and has exponentially-worse* short-term memory loss
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
But I had always wondered why the bars were made to turn so much, when you aren't supposed to turn them that far anyway. I suppose I was misinformed though...
I don't really go to the locks in daily riding, except in parking lots. But I can say that maneuvering the bike around the garage is already a pain in the neck, so I can only guess what it would be like with an even wider turning radius (picture Austin Powers wedged in a hallway on a golf cart).

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode