What kinda bike...? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

What kinda bike...?

Is it just me or do you guys get bothered as much as I do when people ask you what kind of bike you ride? It seems like everyone who doesn't own a bike who sees your helmet or gear, feels the need to bother you. Or, they feel it necessary to ask you a lot of questions about your bike. Especially if they see anything wrong with it(scratch, dirt, etc.).

I love chit chatting with other riders but people who don't ride who want to ask a million questions bother me. And they all seem like they know-it-all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 PM

Instead of letting them bother you, make stuff up about your bike or make up a fictitious model. Have some fun with 'em.

The ones that crack me up are the Einsteins who, seeing you dressed in leathers and carrying a helmet, will ask, "Do you ride a bike?"

I just tell em, "Nah, I'm just a bad driver..."

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
The ones that crack me up are the Einsteins who, seeing you dressed in leathers and carrying a helmet, will ask, "Do you ride a bike?"

ha haha

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Instead of letting them bother you, make stuff up about your bike or make up a fictitious model. Have some fun with 'em.

Now that's funny

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Strength and Honor

I don't get it too much. People are surprised to see someone in gear and I guess it leaves them speechless. The others ask what kind of bike I ride and I give them very specific details, which usually derails the entire conversation so there's none of that nonsense.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

ROFL. I have to remember this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Is it just me or do you guys get bothered as much as I do when people ask you what kind of bike you ride? It seems like everyone who doesn't own a bike who sees your helmet or gear, feels the need to bother you. Or, they feel it necessary to ask you a lot of questions about your bike. Especially if they see anything wrong with it(scratch, dirt, etc.).

I love chit chatting with other riders but people who don't ride who want to ask a million questions bother me. And they all seem like they know-it-all.
Sooo annoying. Some punk kid (18-19 maybe) was looking at my bike over the weekend and immediately starts pointing out what's wrong with it (yeah, so it's been dropped, so what). So I assume this is going somewhere productive and ask him if he rides. He gives me this shocked look and says yeah. As it turns out he has no bike, never has, no license but he HAS ridden his friends 1000 one time before. Then proceeds to tell me how his friends four wheelers would 'dog that THING'.

Last edited by RydeAddict; 05-19-2008 at 04:04 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Strength and Honor

A four-wheeler?

Don't be insecure about your ride. It can't be more scratched up than mine and as far as I'm concerned, battle scars freakin' rock. The kiddies (~20 yo's) I pass wearing my gear are probably thinking silly things too, but they don't likely ride at all either.

There is a jealousy component. And remember their mommies and daddies are often funding them, so they have little ground to stand on.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
A four-wheeler?

Don't be insecure about your ride. It can't be more scratched up than mine and as far as I'm concerned, battle scars freakin' rock. The kiddies (~20 yo's) I pass wearing my gear are probably thinking silly things too, but they don't likely ride at all either.

There is a jealousy component. And remember their mommies and daddies are often funding them, so they have little ground to stand on.
Very true. I forgot to mention his plans of buying a 750 this summer. I smiled and said, "Wow, you must be reeeeeealy good." Of course he didn't pick up on the total sarcasm and agreed...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRyde View Post
Sooo annoying. Some punk kid (18-19 maybe) was looking at my bike over the weekend and immediately starts pointing out what's wrong with it (yeah, so it's been dropped, so what). So I assume this is going somewhere productive and ask him if he rides. He gives me this shocked look and says yeah. As it turns out he has no bike, never has, no license but he HAS ridden his friends 1000 one time before. Then proceeds to tell me how his friends four wheelers would 'dog that THING'. Her name is Frogger, B**ch!!
As soon as he mentioned he rode his "friends" bike once, I would have told him to STFU. Most of the guys who don't have a bike, no license, and haven't had one will do crap like that. Personally, I ask them if they've ridden on a track or somewhere like The Dragon. If they haven't, I immediately(and harshly) rip into them. In his case the fact he didn't even OWN a bike was the icing on the cake and the fact he said something about a four wheeler shows he's an idiot. He was more than likely jealous over the fact his mommy wouldn't buy him a bike and he can't afford one on his own.

If there's one thing I learned after 3 years of riding, it's that it doesn't matter what you ride, it all comes down to the rider's skill. (i.e. 125cc MotoGP) That, and EVERYONE drops or downs their bike at least once. It's a right of passage.

Last edited by Vipes; 05-16-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode