The Funny, Strange & Just Plain Stupid - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

The Funny, Strange & Just Plain Stupid

Things we've all done...

You all have humored my endless questions like true sports. So now I think we need to have some fun... I want to hear stories of the most pathetic, embarrasing things you guys have ever done on two wheels. I know you're all a bunch of pros now, but c'mon you weren't always superman.

Allow me to start with perhaps the MOST PATHETIC drop story of all time. I had been on my new bike ten minutes at most. Hopped on it, took it around a couple buildings in a parking lot and was soooo impressed with how easy it was to ride. So I stop, turn it off and just sit on it with the biggest smile and start talking about what a great bike it is...

So at this point I decide it's a good idea to grab the bars and DEMONSTRATE how much it can lean (yeah, while it's off). Needless to say it leaned really far... Of course I was sitting on it so I fell right on my ass. I was so embarrased I wanted to crawl under it (oh, and I needed help to pick it back up). Lesson learned though... Don't lean the bike while it's off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
I'll play.

This isn't a "trying to show off" story, but it was the first time I ever dropped a bike. It was my '92 CBR600 F2 (affectionately known as "The Beast"). I was headed home from who-knows-where and a girl that I was kinda seeing at the time was following me, and her sister was in the car too. I poorly chose the route back to my house and as a result, ended up at a T-intersection that has a nasty incline (incidentally, this particular intersection was the source of some embarrassment when I first learned to drive a manual tranny in a car). Anyways, I pull up to the stop sign, and since I was not used to working the front brake and throttle simultaneously at that point, I decided to just keep my foot on the rear brake. But the bike started to shift to the right. And not wanting to let it roll back into her car, I basically just went along for the ride as it toppled over. It was pretty embarrassing, only because there were chicks present.

But a month or 2 later, that chick tipped over the same bike in front of her house cause she wanted to sit on it and forgot which side the kickstand was on.

Lucky for her it wasn't my Gixxer.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 PM

Need I say anything more than "left my wife behind at a rest stop"?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
Need I say anything more than "left my wife behind at a rest stop"?
That was an act of your subconscious. Next time, try to lose the pack.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:18 AM
Strength and Honor

Mine would be not so interesting and more on the ordinary. Day's end at the company's employee appreciation day and just had finished up in the volleyball tourney. Hopped on the bike, had to crank the bars before starting so I could pull an immediate U-turn and discovered that slow speed and very sharp turns don't coincide very well. In hindsight, you can do it with some counterbalance, but that wasn't part of the Beginner's MSF that I could recall. Dropped bike in front of my team mates

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
That was an act of your subconscious. Next time, try to lose the pack.

Now that's just mean

I knew you guys would have some good ones. Kanwisch, did your teammates EVER let you live that one down? I did something similar on Tuesday (but I'm not ready to talk about that one yet).
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 AM
Strength and Honor

Well, I think that got forgotten after I crashed and totaled that same bike in a curve doing about 55-65 mph. Its all relative and apparently crash harassment gets overwritten with the latest and greatest.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
Well, I think that got forgotten after I crashed and totaled that same bike in a curve doing about 55-65 mph. Its all relative and apparently crash harassment gets overwritten with the latest and greatest.
Ain't that the truth. That's the only good thing that came out of my second "crash;" it wasn't my fault, and everyone (but me) forgot about the first.

-Will Rogers
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I bought a Buell Blast. 'Nuff said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Buell Child.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	30114  

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicersh View Post
I bought a Buell Blast. 'Nuff said.
How long did it take you to get sick of the harassment and trade it in? I almost bought one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode