To get back on or not to...... That is the question. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

To get back on or not to...... That is the question.

Some of you guys remember me,,, some probably dont. JBAZ is the only chap in a quick glance that I recognize... afraid I have been not doing much posting lately.

To summarize.

First Bike. FZR-600 2 Seasons, 13,000 miles, no problems.

Second Bike '00 R6, 1 Season, sideswiped by inattentive hit and run... no major injuries.

Third Bike - Ducati 996. Passed semi at 6 am and got creamed by someone who went over both of her lanes to pass in my side. cumulative speed of crash estimated at 190mph.

Broken left leg, torn ligaments in both knees, Pelvis broken in "open book", 5 fractures in it, torn 12 inches of intestines, torn bladder, lost chunk of liver, lost spleen, damaged kidney, broke 2 ribs... collapsed a lung later that day and bled into it, broken collarbone.

That was sept 27th.

My recovery time was estimated at 1 year... im walking again, have a slight limp in my left leg,,, but I'll be fully up and operational again soon, its just a matter of time, and sweat.

I am almost equal in my wish to ride again, and not to be hurt like that again, and I dont know which to follow.

Love riding, love it more than anything else I've ever done.

I'm not a fan of dying tho.

What to do....what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypdurron62 View Post
Some of you guys remember me,,, some probably dont. JBAZ is the only chap in a quick glance that I recognize... afraid I have been not doing much posting lately.

To summarize.

First Bike. FZR-600 2 Seasons, 13,000 miles, no problems.

Second Bike '00 R6, 1 Season, sideswiped by inattentive hit and run... no major injuries.

Third Bike - Ducati 996. Passed semi at 6 am and got creamed by someone who went over both of her lanes to pass in my side. cumulative speed of crash estimated at 190mph.

Broken left leg, torn ligaments in both knees, Pelvis broken in "open book", 5 fractures in it, torn 12 inches of intestines, torn bladder, lost chunk of liver, lost spleen, damaged kidney, broke 2 ribs... collapsed a lung later that day and bled into it, broken collarbone.

That was sept 27th.

My recovery time was estimated at 1 year... im walking again, have a slight limp in my left leg,,, but I'll be fully up and operational again soon, its just a matter of time, and sweat.

I am almost equal in my wish to ride again, and not to be hurt like that again, and I dont know which to follow.

Love riding, love it more than anything else I've ever done.

I'm not a fan of dying tho.

What to do....what to do.
DAYUM

Maybe once you heal up you should stick with track days. That's about the best way to avoid cagers.

Glad you pulled through alright. You're one lucky SOB.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
its hard to ask anyone this question unless they've been in a situation just like yours. are you scared to throw your leg over the bike again? or are you psyched about it? i cant even fathom what you have been through. you are incredibly lucky and incredibly strong. you have a crazy story. staying away from sportbikes after an accident like that is totally understandable. however, if you have the itch to ride and want to, go for it.

if i was in your situation, i would like to think that i would be ready to get back on and ride. i dont know though. its a tough call. like snakesht said, trackdays are a great way to get away from cages, trucks, curbs, sidewalks, etc.

if you want to ride, then climb on and go. if you have reservations about it, its probably best to stay away until you figure it out for sure

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:59 PM

I'm noticing a pattern, it seems the powers that be don't want you to ride. I can't speak for you but I wouldn't question anyone in your situation giving up riding and if I was in your place I'd probably give it up whilst having the urge to get back on. If you do get back on the saddle avoid the cagers as much as possible--they don't seem to like you.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:02 PM

It took me a few years to get back on after one of my wrecks. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long. $hit happens but you need get back on!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM

well i have not had as serious of crashes as those but i had a couple of them - one of which resulted in my nickname - and i was back on the bike the next day... actually i lowsided on a friday night during a "test run" on my r6 and i broke the foot peg bracket.. so i called in a favor that night, had it welded (still sits that way today) and did a trackday the next day.. of course i didn't have broken bones, etc. and a completely wadded up bike either..

you can look at it a couple of ways -

glass half empty - you have established a pattern and it will continue
glass half full - you got your bad shit out of the way and now you're good

or like the first response just get a track bike and do track days.. probably the safest way to ride anyways.. i prefer track days over street riding myself.. how often on the street is there an ambulance right there waiting to take you if you get hurt - 1 in a million.. plus no people in cages no paying attention, etc. etc. etc. you don't have to pay insurance on the bike or for tags.. you can get a cheap used bike and put race plastics on it..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
+1 on the trackdays. Seeing that you are from Madison there is a group of people that are huge trackday enthusiasts right by you. Send me a PM if you want some more information.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
get back on. You will never regret it.

Glad you made it through your previous mishaps.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypdurron62 View Post
Holy crap! You must be one tough bastard!

If there was anything in the world that would stop me from riding, something like this would be it. I've often thought about what I would do if I were in a serious accident such as yours. I've come to the conclusion that I might likely just give up street riding and do track riding only. Track riding gives you more of a rush than you could ever get on the street and the environment is much safer.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweetryan View Post
+1 on the trackdays. Seeing that you are from Madison there is a group of people that are huge trackday enthusiasts right by you. Send me a PM if you want some more information.
Go this route. You can get a track bike relatively cheap without having to worry about insurance so your costs will be quite a bit lower than doing street riding. After one track day you'll know if you're ready to continue. Then, down the road, you can decide if you ever want to return to the street. There are many a rider who are track only and I'd never question theirs skills or nerves.

But as conrice said, its easy to say that not having been in your situation. Given I support a family, I can imagine I would be tussling over hanging it up permanently.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode