Riding with pain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Riding with pain

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has any problem with their hands/wrists. My wife had 4 surgeries a couple years ago for carpel tunnel on both wrists and elbows and I have had similiar symptoms lately but dont want to go do a claim at work or have surgery. I have been told by my doctor that I have a small amount of arthritis and when I ride sometime the back of my hands around where my knuckles starts to hurt even after only a 20 min ride. I can live with that pain but the pain in my wrists is the worst during/after I ride alot. So if anyone else here has carpel tunnel, tendonitis, or arthritis what are you doing to help with it? I was thinking about gel grips may help and it seems worse when I don't wear my gloves so I wear those at all times.
Any other suggestions beside go get it taken care of and take alot of pills which I don't like doin either?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Strength and Honor

I've been doing exercises to stretch those muscles out, three times a day for each one. Picked up the exercises at a rehab center. But my pain hasn't been all that significant.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
I've been doing exercises to stretch those muscles out, three times a day for each one. Picked up the exercises at a rehab center. But my pain hasn't been all that significant.
+1 Yes this is the answer...look it up on the web and find your exercises

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

The streches seem to help, my wife has been doing them even after her sugeries and I have done them also. I was hoping there may be some type of grips or gloves or something that help. Are the gel grips worth getting? Are they really more comfy than the stocks? Are they slippery at all?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM

Have you tried working on strengthening your upper leg and lower back muscles and using correct technique, instead of resting on your hands?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:50 PM

maybe these www.convertibars.com/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

wow those are pretty neat, I bet they are real bulking on a bike. I appreciate the link though I may look into it in the future, what the hell.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
you should not be putting any weight or pressure on the clip-ons (handle bars). you should squeeze the tank with your legs and utilize your abs to support and hold your bdy when riding. from what i was told at the track, if you find yourself tensing up, do the chicken dance with your arms/elbow (do this in a safe manner as to not cause you to wreck or injured). this will help/remind you to loosen up on the grips and let your legs and abs to all the work.

i take a motrin 800 before going on a ride or trackday. ive had surgery on both knees and sometimes after a trackday my knees are really faked up. sometimes needing me to go to the ER and get fluid drained (even after the surgeries). had 3 oz drained last time out and could barely drive home from grattan.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
Have you tried working on strengthening your upper leg and lower back muscles and using correct technique, instead of resting on your hands?
Demon and cookee have it right, overall. I put no weight on my wrists and it shows improper form. Your arms should be crooked at the elbow and you abs and legs help keep you in the crouched over position.

Don't know how I missed that obvious angle

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 06:22 AM

my knees are my problem too, on a long ride they hurt so I stand up on the pegs, helps alot within just a few minutes....I been thinkin about some extra long sliders that I could lay my legs across...but its really just a dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode