Just Got My First Bike Woot - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Smile Just Got My First Bike Woot

Hey guys Just got my first bike for the "road" today.

A 2005 GSXR 600 with 5100 miles on it for 4800 dolla

I know its alot a bike for a new guy but ive been on bikes sense the ripe old age of 12.

I should adapt pretty well, I raced motocross for a number of years and also did some freestyle. I have my own 9 foot freestyle ramp =)

But I got hurt a few times and what not, that always just sucks.

So anyways I get this bike outa the back of the truck and decide to go down the corner and back a few times. Talk about a big ass smile on my face, It's like comparable to getting laid the first time lol.

First day, 3.9 miles put on, 85 mph achieved good start eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Easy slugger. Those bikes are nice. I bought an '05 GSX-R600 new as my second bike. Still have it. IMO, it's the best looking gixxer out there. Maybe not the strongest, but close enough. I hope you've invested in some gear. Good luck and keep the shiny side up. BTW, Welcome to sbw

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:28 AM
Strength and Honor

Welcome

Congratulation on enter the street riding world. If you haven't already done so I highly recommend the MSF course and a good set of gear (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Lets give you the benefit of the doubt that you just don't know any better. Please do yourself a favor and read all the new rider stickies.

This might be one of those posts you look back at in a few years and say to yourself, "I was SUCH A SQUID". Believe me, I know: https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...ad.php?t=52985. I can't even read some of my old posts without cringing.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman69 View Post
...First day, 3.9 miles put on, 85 mph achieved good start eh?
No, it just makes you a

Seriously, mate, you might be a good dirt bike rider and know how to take big jumps and sh*t, but you're a NEW road bike rider. Being cocky is going to get you killed before you know it. You made a bad start by buying a bike you're not yet experienced enough to ride and now you're just compounding that by riding like a squid.

Slow the f*ck down, make sure you get ALL THE GEAR and wear it ALL THE TIME (ATGATT), go take the MSF course and then do an advanced riding course in a year, or so.

BTW, we're all bike riders here. Some have been riding for decades. You're not going to impress anyone by bragging about how fast you went on your first day.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Hey northman congrats on your first street bike. You are never goin' to here the end of it for buying a 600 as your first, I got a bunch of it when I got my 04r6 as my very first bike. The 100mph mark is a great feeling (I did it about 3 months after getting my bike) and is all too easy to do on these bikes.
I know dirt biking makes you feel like you can do anything but don't underestimate the power of the dark side...UUMM i mean the power of these bikes. It is way to easy to end up sliding down the road on your back/face/head/back/head/face/back and most of the time when we riders go down its because of two things: Pushing the bike beyond the riders limits and the second is because some cage driver didn't bother looking before making a move.
The best advice I can give ya is Take the safety course, buy and wear your gear, and dont be in too much of a hurry to go fast and do stunts.
Take care and ride safe!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweetryan View Post
This might be one of those posts you look back at in a few years and say to yourself, "I was SUCH A SQUID". Believe me, I know: https://www.sportbikeworld.com/forums...ad.php?t=52985. I can't even read some of my old posts without cringing.
+1
AH hahaha , same here, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeetree View Post
No, it just makes you a
Being cocky is going to get you killed before you know it. You made a bad start by buying a bike you're not yet experienced enough to ride and now you're just compounding that by riding like a squid.
Rough crowd, but you deserve it
My first was a 600 too, I guess I slipped under the radar because I dont remember getting any shit, BUT
shit happened, at only 40mph!!!!
==========
Congrats on the new bike, & welcome to the forum
Have your fun, but dont do stupid shit (-ie); because if you do stupid shit, SHIT WILL HAPPEN.
The type of shit that you hate to find under your shoe; the type of shit that makes your say "Why wasnt I paying attention!!!"
With that in mind, ride within your limits; the limits of your bike, the limits of the road/traffic, and the limits of yourself.

~~RIDE SAFE

Last edited by ochoa0042; 04-17-2008 at 12:21 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies guys =). I knew I would get u all going with that speed remark =)

I'm honestly glad you all care, I care as well alot but you can't see that through the net. I just wanna make it known that I've achieved 110 ish on sleds all the time. So I know what it feels like.

But one thing I love about this bike is that it was the only bike in 05 to come with a steering damper. As far as power goes, the powerband is so damn long, that is like the biggest thing to get used to.

I was also reading some old 05 shootouts and this bike did not come out on top because it was not a major year for the engineers to make a new bike, but it did come out the highest in the torque department=), even beat the 636 kawi the cheater bike.

Well if you all have any maintence tips I would love to hear them =-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh one more thing.....I'm paying 171 dollars a year for insurance on this bike.=)

Beat that I'm 24
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM

Congrates, I bought an rf 600 r for my first bike sport/touring bike and i have no experience on a motorcycle/dirt bike or mini bike iv had my bike for 6 months know and havnt but a scratch on it i havnt dropped it in the drive way or nothing, but i have a fairly lvl head, one thing my brother learned the hard way on his new sv1000 (he has the same riding experience as i do) is its never a good thing to get excited or nerves and twist the throttle, he did 3000 dallors worth of damage to his new bike in a parking lot, just keep a lvl head and your good. With dirtbike experience i dont think you'll have a problem adapting.

I got a good tip make sure your chain is properly tightened i had a friends chain snap on him and it locked up the back wheel as he was driving down the road and broke the engine case housing, im sure he has to clean him self up no image in that happened doing like 75 mph it might hurt a little bit.

Im only paying like 180 somthing a year and im 21.

Last edited by coreyrf600r; 04-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode