Raising Fork Tubes In The Triple Clamps - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Raising Fork Tubes In The Triple Clamps

Does anybody here have any experience raising the fork tubes in the triple clamps? How big of a job is it?

I switched from a 65 series front to a 70 and my bike is just every so slightly more hesitant to turn in now becuase of the slight change in geometry. From what I've been reading raising my fork tubes 6-8 mm's in the triples will bring my bike back to near stock geometry.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Its real easy. you need an allen set, a caliper, and maybe some WD-40. Do one tube at a time.
Loosen the pinch bolt on the clip on, upper tree, and the two on the lower tree. Grab ahold of the outer fork tube and start turning it back and forth, the bikes weight will slowly push the trees down on the tube. Measure with a caliper untill you are at the right height. Then tighten everything and do the other fork. The thing to remember is that the fork tubes will spin one around the other.
If you overshoot, and have to lower the tubes, either use a front stand that lifts the bike by the steering head, or use some ratche straps and wrap one around the front of the frame near the steering pivot. Do not lift by the bars, since this will lock them around the outer tube.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:52 PM

vashipedia

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Hey Vash, I have a triple tree stand and I was going to use that to do this. So is it easier to do it with the bike off the stand so the weight of the bike can push the tubes up like you mentioned?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Its pretty easy either way. Without the stand forks slide one way real easy, but abit more of a pain to get them to go the other (but still doable, even without help). With a stand it shouldnt be any problems at all. Just dont forget to loosen everything, and apply some oil, and the tube should slide with no more effort than taking off an oil filter by hand. Sometimes you have to take off the screw that locates the clip ons to the upper tree.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

I just took my first ride after the adjustment and I really noticed a difference in the ease of turn in. The bike definately turns in much easier than it did before the adjustment. The wierd thing is that I dont remember feeling like the steering was that much slower when I first made the change to the 70 series front.

The real test comes on May 12th to see if it improves my lap times at all at the track.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode