Need some advice/new bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Need some advice/new bike

Ok, my friend just got a job at a local bike dealership; or more appropriately, the local bike dealership. I went in there to see their selection the other day, since the '08's are in and I hadn't been there since last year. Long story short, they have a 2005 Ducati 999 with 1933 miles on the floor, and I am VERY interested. But I would like some input on whether or not I should take the leap and buy this beautiful piece of Italian machinery. They are asking a little over $12K for it, which I doubt I'd pay. But I'm at a point where I can afford a bike payment/insurance without any problem (I paid for my Gixxer in full when I got it, and insurance is relatively cheap for it). I've always wanted a Ducati, so here's a chance before I get married, and all that dumb stuff. What do you guys think, and what would you consider a fair price for it? I'm going to have my friend lowball it for me and then I'll have her haggle from there.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 AM
Strength and Honor

Two bikes, you lucky dawg. And a Ducati to boot. I have no idea what those go for but there's got to be an active, "de facto standard" Ducati forum with a for sale section where you can figure out what their real value is.....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I might have to check around. I was trying to avoid Ducati forums for advice, since they would more than likely be biased. Right now I need to exercise a little restraint, as I'm about to call it a day @ work and go buy the damn thing right now.

I might check out some classified sections though, just to get a feel for market value.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Strength and Honor

You misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear, or both). You'd merely look at listings of used bikes to see what the real going rate is. For instance, pricing of '05-'06 636's is vastly different on Kawiforums than it is on Ebay, local ads, and other online locations. I was not suggesting you ask for advice from them, necessarily.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
You misunderstood me (or I wasn't clear, or both). You'd merely look at listings of used bikes to see what the real going rate is. For instance, pricing of '05-'06 636's is vastly different on Kawiforums than it is on Ebay, local ads, and other online locations. I was not suggesting you ask for advice from them, necessarily.
Yeah, I guess I did kind of misunderstand what you were saying. I did a little searching and from what I can tell, they seem to be in the 11-12k range. So now it will just come down to my negotiating skills to see what I can shave off.

I was hoping to get some input from somebody who had actually ridden one, since test rides (especially at this dealership) seem to be verboten these days.

-Will Rogers
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post

I was hoping to get some input from somebody who had actually ridden one, since test rides (especially at this dealership) seem to be verboten these days.

I've ridden the 999, sweet bike and handles great but if you do by this bike negotiate in the sale of the bike to have it serviced, mostly to have the belts changed. They should be change every two years, and the bike is over do for this service.

Ten to twelve thousand is about right for a like new 999, maybe more with the right aftermarket performance parts. Lots of used 999's out there going for cheap now that the new 1098 is out. Buy the bike and enjoy the ride, the 999 is also great on the track.

This forum is no place to get an informed opinion about motorcycles nevermind a Ducati. The majority here would not know the difference between an Italian motorcycle from an Italian Grayhound.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneducs View Post
This forum is no place to get an informed opinion about motorcycles nevermind a Ducati. The majority here would not know the difference between an Italian motorcycle from an Italian Grayhound.
Thanks for your advice, but I don't understand your negative attitude towards the forum members. I've seen a lot of helpful info on here.

-Will Rogers
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
Thanks for your advice, but I don't understand your negative attitude towards the forum members. I've seen a lot of helpful info on here.
It's just a realistic observation, if you want more helpful information on buying and owning a Ducati you will have to move on to a more informed area of the internet. Good luck!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneducs View Post
It's just a realistic observation, if you want more helpful information on buying and owning a Ducati you will have to move on to a more informed area of the internet. Good luck!
Thanks again for your advice. However I think I'll wait and see if maybe one of the many Ducati owners on here is willing to offer their opinion on the matter.

-Will Rogers
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:32 AM

If you like the bike, Im sure you do. ask yourself will this make me happy making the payments on this untill its payed off? If so Buy it for your self if you get married you will never be able to get one unless you have a very understanding wife! Good luck Rember you only go around once. Buy it enjoy it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode