LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Dainese airbag

Interesting is all I can say really.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/25/d...-sale-in-2010/

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 AM
Strength and Honor

I've always wondered if these kinds of things won't actually cause more tumbling and thus increase the likelihood of breaking a limb's bone. Time will tell I guess.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Why do you say that? looks to me like it would have little effect on tumbling. As far as the activation, does it work via a tether, or what?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:15 AM

Seems to me that a fault like that one would result in little injury with just a set of leathers. And it would do little to protect the rider from something like hitting a car. I think the honda airbag works much better for that.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Having pranged a lot, especially in competitions, I knew the first to hit, most often, was my hip as you see this demonstration also show.

Once I had broken my left hip by coming off the roof of my home to challenge the concrete of the driveway only to find out the hip broke. THAT told me there is a good chance I will do it again in practicing or competiting in comp events.

The sheer love of m/cing I decided to stick to the streets, for less chance of numerous prangs, to you see often in practing or racing a rider will come off one to several times they practice or compete while not to many in street riding come off.

I came off in '05 (five yrs later) of said broken hip & tested out the right hip, though nothing broke yet four yrs later in walking around the corner to the front of the Post Office I actually knocked myself out & broke my right hip due to slipping on black ice. Tends to make one wonder about human nature.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-27-2008 at 11:21 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by ochoa0042 View Post
Lol, funny stuff

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:30 AM

While I am a m/c rider I am not stupied enough to be counting on something happening like that teener sitting on some explosive. Fact is even when in competition or in practicing for comp., I was not aiming to prang. Like most of your pavement riders, as I am not, one is not aiming at having a stupid accident----one of the reasons we do not do stupid things & keep our eyes on the crazies driving cages.

Like each time I have clocked ANOTHER year without having a prang or being taken down by some dim-wit with a cage. Which I am thankfull for believe me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:58 PM

Thumbs down or how about . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P...%28film%29.jpg
---OR
that ice jacket from James Bond, the zorb like thing
=====Im kinda ripping in the invention sarcastically with the 'other options'

Yea I dont think that invention is going to far, I dont even think the inventor rides bikes. I mean when you fall; the fall is what, like 4ish feet. I think anyone can handle a 4 foot fall, so the inventor (i hypothesize) does not ride. The rest of the injury is momentum, sliding in the road surface. Like smitty mentioned, there is also hip impact, what about that Sir inventor?
PLUS- when you see GP riders fall, they dont roll if they could help it. They rather skid along in a controlled fashon, shifting weight here and there so that the leathers dont eat through to their skin.
~~2 Thumbs down~~(speaking of thumbs down, where's a little animation thingy?)

snakesht, my guess is . . . maybe its like a tread mill, you know when you fall off that cord attached to you disengages and turns off the treadmill

Vash, what honda airbag?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 05:43 AM

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/08/v...bag-in-action/

This honda airbag. The idea has its limitations, namely being
1. It does nothing for the no.1 cause of crashes, failure to negotiate a turn. The classic newbie stab on the rear brake mid corner crash
2. It does work for the no. 2 cause of crashes, driver turning left in front of a motorcycle. But that it all its good for.
3. It adds a shit load of weight to the bike.

Ok, here is a very difficult to implement idea for safety developers. Make the suit from two layers of material, with a layer of ferromagnetic fluid between them. Place a capacitor pack somewhere that would discharge into the fluid during a dismount. Hey, I did say it would be difficult to implement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode