first crash - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

first crash

I went down for the first time, I started riding last year sept and I continue riding in the winter to build my skills. I rode in 19 degree f to go to work. My girl had my car at the time because her car was in the shop.

I went down in the morning on my way to work. The temp was around 37f but it was much colder because of the windchill factor. I left the bike in the driveway for the first time. I am thinking the cold over night wind got deep into the tires (just my hypothesis). I heated up the tire and proceeded on my way to work. I stop fine at the first stop sign. While I was approaching the first redlight and I decide to press the rear brakes hard to feel how well it would grip. This is a common practice I do to get a idea of how the back wheel is. I waited for the light to turn green. I took off ok and I cross the intersection. I lean the bike slightly and I am pretty sure I straighten it first before I apply some more throttle. The back wheel went to the right then to the left and then throw me off the bike. I landed on my back and slided and rolled. I saw the bike sliding toward me so I continue to roll some more. I got up immediately and went to hit the kill switch on the bike but it cut off before I could get to it.

Someone help me pick the bike up. I felt the pain in my wrist so I decide not to try to pick it up on my own. I rode to the side of the road and inspect the bike and notice slider bent, right foot peg broken, exhaust scratch up and plastic scratch up. I went into work in first gear. I left work and went to the hospital because the pain was too much in my wrist. The xray shows 3-4 broken bones in my wrist. The doctor who was built like the hulk was bending and pulling on my wrist and fingers as if he wanted to rip my hand off my arm. My hand did feel more flexible when he was finish.
The two intern that was with the doctor said they ride R1. I hope my wrist injury didnt scare them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 12:49 PM

So much depends if the road people apply their mix of sand/salt & if so some could be still there or a cage dropped it from clinging under its chassie. That would do it with ease.

So no cast on the wrist I take it? If the Doc was nearly pulling your arm off it was to try & set the broken bones. Believe me I have had broken to crushed fingers, to broken wrists & broken forarms tack on a badly dislocated left shoulder. Basically due to my work as being a full time farmer, in he past, to a lot of dirt comp from '47 till '89. So let us know if a cast was put on or whatever.

Fortunately you did not go down as hard as some have. For the bike can be rebuilt. So you came out of this on the winning side for some have really done themselves in. Yes around this time of year you start to read about some serious m/c accidents.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-25-2008 at 09:32 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I do have a cast and I suppose to keep my hands in a sling. This is the first broken bone experience I ever had. I work on my bike this weekend. I will order a 4pc peg kit from ebay. I might also order a rear brake lever since mine is bent

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Sorry to hear you went down. I've been there twice myself, both high-sides like yours. I made it out without broken bones though, hope your wrist heals up in time to enjoy the riding season. Let that be a lesson though: cold tires are not something to mess with.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 AM
Strength and Honor

BTW, there isn't really something such as a "deeper" chill on your tires. The rims are metal so they'll be the same temp as it is outdoors, regardless of the length of time out there. The tire material itself is quite thin so the same rules apply. Ideally you'd give the tires some number of miles to warm up which gets progressively harder the colder it is outside and on the street.

Bummer 'bout the crashes and injuries. Heal up quick, summer's just around the corner

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 AM

Damn, heal up dude. Sounds like it could've been worse.

I went down in my own parking lot a couple weeks ago from probably the same reason. I was going out on a quick ride at night with my neighbor before our blizzard came the next day and I guess it was just too cold outside to accelerate through a turn and, well, I didn't make it more than 100ft from my garage. Through the first turn I lost balance and slid probably 25ft grinding my knees into the pavement and ruining my favorite pair of jeans, of course. My bike broke its right turn signal and shattered the part of the fairing it was attached to. I spent much of last week gluing and fiberglassing everything back together. Oh well. My buddy thought it was icy but the pavement had plenty of grip when I was sliding on it...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM

Ouch!! a second one to go down. Still on some other m/c boards the chaps are in such a hurry to ride or willing to ride when a bit cold, as they might have had a few sensible days, though they to are ending up pranging their bikes, BUT like the rest of you nothing seriously, though have to admit cast on wrist is on the serious side.

So do like some of us in not being in a ruddy rush to start riding EARLY in the Spring & remember up here in Canada we look upon April as a time for rain, winds & sometimes at higher altitudes SNOW. We sendible wait till some time in April or around the latter part of April. You see some of use hike out to longer runs, not just putting around town or to & from work, but good sensible runs of 5 to 7+ hrs there & back to some of us going for the higher altitudes of the mountain roads which requires a little more thinking of the WEATHER.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Sorry to hear about the get off(s).

I have been bitten by cold road/tires when applying too much throttle. Boy did that hurt.

http://www.bikerplanet.net
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:48 AM

going down

Jason Britton says; there are two kind of riders, those that have been down, and those that are going down! I hope thats not always true, but i am one that also has already went down. Last december, my husband had just bought me new riding gear for christmas, and gave it to me 2 weeks early thank God! I went down the very next week! No broke bones, but only a broke ego. I was the only female in the group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxy View Post
I went down for the first time, I started riding last year sept and I continue riding in the winter to build my skills. I rode in 19 degree f to go to work. My girl had my car at the time because her car was in the shop.

I went down in the morning on my way to work. The temp was around 37f but it was much colder because of the windchill factor. I left the bike in the driveway for the first time. I am thinking the cold over night wind got deep into the tires (just my hypothesis). I heated up the tire and proceeded on my way to work. I stop fine at the first stop sign. While I was approaching the first redlight and I decide to press the rear brakes hard to feel how well it would grip. This is a common practice I do to get a idea of how the back wheel is. I waited for the light to turn green. I took off ok and I cross the intersection. I lean the bike slightly and I am pretty sure I straighten it first before I apply some more throttle. The back wheel went to the right then to the left and then throw me off the bike. I landed on my back and slided and rolled. I saw the bike sliding toward me so I continue to roll some more. I got up immediately and went to hit the kill switch on the bike but it cut off before I could get to it.

Someone help me pick the bike up. I felt the pain in my wrist so I decide not to try to pick it up on my own. I rode to the side of the road and inspect the bike and notice slider bent, right foot peg broken, exhaust scratch up and plastic scratch up. I went into work in first gear. I left work and went to the hospital because the pain was too much in my wrist. The xray shows 3-4 broken bones in my wrist. The doctor who was built like the hulk was bending and pulling on my wrist and fingers as if he wanted to rip my hand off my arm. My hand did feel more flexible when he was finish.
The two intern that was with the doctor said they ride R1. I hope my wrist injury didnt scare them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode