speedometer cockeye - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

speedometer cockeye

I rarely look down to find what my speed is, I rather go by feeling,
Which I think is a great type of style to pick up, because there is no 'max motorcycle speed' limit on any roads to police you

I was having a spirited ride around noon today before my class, I was on my last road, and it starts out with a nice straight, usually I just gun it without looking at the speedo'.
But this time for some odd reason I looked down to see my speed, loosing concentration on where im going, I almost drove off the road (it was because there was a ever-so-slight left turn)
I was going 96mph, I wasn't scared when it happened because it wasnt that much of a 'close call', but just a slip.

While riding through the course, I never once looked down to see my dash because I've road this road so much that its all by feel

for lack of a better phrase . . . Do you have a speedometer cockeye? (you always have to glance at the speedo')

~~+just trying to get a general consensus

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-21-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Sometimes they are out of whack. After all they are exposed to the weather, rain, to the heat from the sun along with all the pounding from the bike itself.

In a cage the speedos are often out of line as well, but they have the interior coverage from the above of a m/c plus not the pounding from the bike itself.

Lastly if the bike is 'used' you have no idea of what the poor bike has gone through, but if new then you might wheel the bike back to the dealer & see what can be done.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:01 AM

I don't have a speedo so I don't have to worry about this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaz View Post
I don't have a speedo so I don't have to worry about this.
I can relate jbaz. I didnt have a speedo for months....it was quite liberating actually....but i was constantly paranoid. Not knowing how fast wasnt why i got a new one....its the fuel.....around town is ok but not having an odometer, engine temp, and fuel gauge had me worried. especially since i was having some wiring issues with my radiator fan....i really needed an oil temp to avoid doing damage to my engine. I think everything is good now though
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
When I'm hitting up the twisities I never really look at it. On the track I zip tie my lap timer over my speedo so its impossiable to look at it, I really don't ever look at my lap timer till after the session is over. The only time I tend to look at it is when I'm on the freeway.

Once when i was at Road America my lap timer wasn't working. In an attempt to answer the first question everybody always asks me when I tell them I ride the track, "How fast do you go?" I took my timer off and made an effort to see just how fast I was going at the end of the front straight. I came out of T14, pulled the throttle back and watched the speedo climb. 150, 155, 160, 165, I knew I was getting close to my braking marker but I really wanted to get to 170. 166, 167, 168, 169, 169, 169, 170! Then I looked up an noticed that I completely blew my braking marker for T1!! That was the most filling pulling braking expereince of my life. I amazed myself with how fast I was actually able to take T1, however I scared myself so much that I wasn't able to come anywhere near that speed again the rest of the day.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Quite often I have been without a speedo especially when it comes to all forms of competition to also be in the city or town roads plus on the hwys. So easy to go by the flow of the traffic in cities or towns & the feel when on the hwys.

Also in twisties I hae entered some nice in & outs to my sight is on the bends to the end. I know I have entered at around 5 to 6 thou so the engine is lively & surprised as I come to the light I am up to higher revs & the speed as well---but I had a good run.

When I assembled my /00 Honda 929, & was headed home, the bike so new & so powerful with ease of handeling. Crumbs I was only clocking 50 to 60kph & the rest of the traffic was simply CRAWLING. So at a red light I looked down to realize I was still set of Mile Pr Hour which I should have been on KPH. So the 50 to 60 was actually 80 to 100KPH!!!!! My error I must admit & I could have been in deep trouble.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
When I assembled my /00 Honda 929, & was headed home, the bike so new & so powerful with ease of handeling. Crumbs I was only clocking 50 to 60kph & the rest of the traffic was simply CRAWLING. So at a red light I looked down to realize I was still set of Mile Pr Hour which I should have been on KPH. So the 50 to 60 was actually 80 to 100KPH!!!!! My error I must admit & I could have been in deep trouble.

When i first came to the states i had the same problem....but the other way around...lol our van was from canada, so i found myself going way to slow!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 AM

What I always think of is how the speedometers on sportbikes are optimistic on purpose. I still haven't found just how optimistic mine is so I always go a little faster than the speed limit, hoping I'm actually going only 5mph over, but back off if I see a cop. Apparently speedometers are allowed to be off by at much as 15mph When I'm on the track I think 'Yay I'm going 150mph and that's fast!!! Or no is it 135...'
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 07:49 AM

I ride by feel for the most part. I will look down while I am in the city, or I see something that could look like a cop.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 02:16 PM

i know here the max. speedo error [email protected] but it still isnt an "admissable" excuse. if it is off, you have to take it to get calibrated, show them the sheet from the calibrators, and if it is off, guess what....another ticket for "operating on public roads with faulty equipment" yes....ive been through this...its better to shut up n take the ticket. lol im sure "i didnt FEEL like i was speeding" isnt admissable either, but i find myself doin it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode