cornering, and braking?'s - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

cornering, and braking?'s

Im a new rider, got some questions regarding cornering entry speed, and breaking.

First when braking do yall like to downshift mostly or just use brakes?

When coming to a complete stop, like at a light, should I break then downshift? or downshift then brake?

What sequence of braking and shifting do yall use when going through turns? I know from the msf course, they teach you to slow down first, before turning. But they left it up to rider preference whether to solely use brakes, or to use breaks in conjunction with downshifting. So I wanna know how the more experienced riders handle cornering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 AM

Depends on how fast I want to go. The more relaxed the pace, the more I use downshifting to slow me down, staying off the brakes untill I need to stop. The engine braking can slow you down pretty well. If I ride agressivly, I get on the brakes, first easy, than really hard, dropping down as many gears as I need to, then matching the throttle to the wheel speed as I release the clutch to avoid unsettling the suspension. You definetly want to have the clutch released before you release the brake, unlike a car, otherwise you get a little lurch right when you are leaning the bike, which doesnt feel good.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 AM
Strength and Honor

I've been practicing doing much more of my hard braking early and then easing it out so the suspension's as settled as can be. I thought I'd read that as recommended somewhere but honestly can't recall where.... Twist of the Wrist maybe?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange619 View Post
Im a new rider, got some questions regarding cornering entry speed, and breaking.

Like vash said, for me it depends on the pace I'm riding at. Causual pace I'll use mostly engine breaking. The more spirited I get the more brakes I'll use to slow me down. On the track they say ,"The engine is made for going, the brakes are made for slowing."

Quote:
When coming to a complete stop, like at a light, should I break then downshift? or downshift then brake?
I always shift while I am breaking. At least I think I do, dam winter I forgot what it even feels like to ride!

Quote:
What sequence of braking and shifting do yall use when going through turns? I know from the msf course, they teach you to slow down first, before turning. But they left it up to rider preference whether to solely use brakes, or to use breaks in conjunction with downshifting. So I wanna know how the more experienced riders handle cornering.
Once again this really depends on the pace i'm riding. I do a lot more thinking about a turn the more I up the pace becuase theres a lot more to corning at speed than just put-puting around. So that being said when i'm really in the zone on the street (track is a whole different animal) a turn goes like this: Once I see the turn I brake and downshift to set my corner entry speed, making sure to choose a gear that's going to keep me in a good RPM range throughout the corner. While i'm doing this I'm also trying to locate my turn in point and the apex of the corner. At the turn in point I coutersteer and get the bike to my desired lean angle as fast as possiable and point towards the apex, all the time I'm making sure to stay on the gas ever so slightly to keep the rear suspension loaded. I'm also looking for my exit point here. Once I hit the apex i'm on the gas a little harder and start to stand the bike up. Then I get a big old smile on my face and prepare to do it all over again next turn.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 04:38 PM

when i ride, i like to put the bike's gear selector in the warp speed setting

=====
when riding easy, i tend to let the engine do the braking
when riding hard, i brake first, then match the revs with the speed shifting: but its more interlaced together in symphony
at stop lights, i brake and shift down at the same time
=====
a move i recently done, was brake durring the turn (compressing the forks), and while still in the turn i let off the brake(releasing the fork pressure); then the bike did a squirmy dance that scared me a bit

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-19-2008 at 04:56 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:05 PM

In days of competition be it an MX course, road racing circuit, or Observed Trials I would walk the course or crawl along them, often getting off, leaning the bike up against something to look over a certain spot, & especially in Observed Trials I walked each section & if I was to double each section then I would look them over again since things had changed in possibly traction.

So when I am on a hwy that I have not been on before, or have not seen said road after a winter. Also take it easier to also ride back on it looking at it from another direction. The next run will be with some of it in memory & that is when I come to the twisties & will be geared down into lower revs, with engine around mid-revs, so it will be lively, & so I have applied brakes or geard down in advance. As aim is to go in slow & come out fast at the end once I see the light sort of at the end.

True part of my butt is hanging to the inside of the various bends with a lot of pressure on the inside footrest as well, while knee is tucked up tight to the fairing though more foward then on the flats as my body has shifted up to the petrol tank.

So for years that has never failed me & not once have I felt I was in trouble. Plus not knowing an RCMP ghost car tried to follow me & nailed me later on at some boring straight spots. He was claiming I was doing said downhill twisties at 140kph---85mph which he said was to fast even for a m/c as he to was a m/c rider (a rider of a Cruiser). Actually he wanted to nail me with Dangerous Driving which is a Criminal Offence in Cdn., along with bike confinscated, the driver/rider goes into the clanger, mug shots, finger printing & behind bars till one can obtain a lawyer.

Last edited by Smitty; 02-19-2008 at 05:07 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
Quote:

i would suggest downshifting before braking. i wouldn't do them in combination at first. i usually downshift and make sure my positioning on the bike is right, then brake. i use constant throttle during the turn in and then i roll on the the throttle. one thing to always remember: in slow, out fast. you'll be smoother, safer, and faster. going into the turn too hot is not a fun expirience. some people (racers on the track) will trail brake during the corner if they're going into the turn too hot. no front braking during the turn tho ever

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter

Last edited by conrice; 02-26-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: grammar
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:08 PM

I've done the whole deals gap with just engine braking. Then again I only up shifted to 2nd only 3 times and casually went from curve to curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode