What to do.....Need advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

What to do.....Need advice

Hi, Im 18 years old and my first car that i had just recently broke down. Now ive been looking at getting a bike but never really had the extra cash. Now that i need a daily vehicle, i was really considering on getting a bike. I will be financing because i dont have the lump sum of cash. Im 6'3 and 200lbs and i dont know what bike to get. This will be my first bike ever and will be taught and also learn on my own. I would like to know what sportbike would suite me best. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLess View Post
Hi, Im 18 years old and my first car that i had just recently broke down. Now ive been looking at getting a bike but never really had the extra cash. Now that i need a daily vehicle, i was really considering on getting a bike. I will be financing because i dont have the lump sum of cash. Im 6'3 and 200lbs and i dont know what bike to get. This will be my first bike ever and will be taught and also learn on my own. I would like to know what sportbike would suite me best. Thanks

This will be your first bike, is this right?

Well you would want a GSXR1000 for sure but you would be better off buying a beater because you will wreck it and if you have a new bike when you wreck you will be left with a wrecked bike and a loan for a new bike that you wrecked.

Here is a bike but it is a bit pricey to wreck.
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=164495

Here is a bike more like it. A SV 650, if you wreck it no big deal and not a bad price either. Easy bike to learn on. You should look for bikes in this price range and cc size.
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=165345

Here is another SV a bit more pricey but a bike that is easy to ride.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=163732

I would look for bikes like the ones I posted but then again you are the one with the money. Be sure to sign the organ donor on your license after you pass a motorcycle license test. It's just a nice thing to do. Happy motoring.

Last edited by oneducs; 02-11-2008 at 07:18 PM.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneducs View Post
This will be your first bike, is this right?

Well you would want a GSXR1000 for sure but you would be better off buying a beater because you will wreck it and if you have a new bike when you wreck you will be left with a wrecked bike and a loan for a new bike that you wrecked.

Here is a bike but it is a bit pricey to wreck.
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=164495

Here is a bike more like it. A SV 650, if you wreck it no big deal and not a bad price either. Easy bike to learn on. You should look for bikes in this price range and cc size.
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=165345

Here is another SV a bit more pricey but a bike that is easy to ride.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=163732

I would look for bikes like the ones I posted but then again you are the one with the money. Be sure to sign the organ donor on your license after you pass a motorcycle license test. It's just a nice thing to do. Happy motoring.
You're joking right? Are you trying to him killed?

Man, dont buy anything over 500cc. You'll regret it.

As a matter of fact, dont buy a bike just yet. With your situation, a motorcycle is not a good idea at the moment. If you get a loan on a bike, it is so easy to total it. I have a friend who dropped his bike, cause a dent on the gas tank, scratches on the steering bar, left fairing, the rear cowl, and put a small cosmetic dent on the swing arm. With all of these just cosmetic damages, the bike was still considered totaled.

Just get you a dependable car first. A motorcycle can be a very good commute vehicle, but not ideal for a "primary vehicle only". What if it storms, snows, or any kind of bad weather where its not ideal to ride, then what? What if you have to carry some boxes of stuff, what do you do? What if youre on a date and she doesnt want to put a helmet on cause it'll ruin her hair, so much for getting lucky .

Besides, if youre having financial troubles already, a sportbike will only burden you more. Just think about it, If you buy a sportbike, you will have to buy safety gear (helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, & boots) which can run you around $500-1000. Plus insurance. At your age, insurances are skyhigh, especially if you buy a bike bigger than 500cc. Then you definitely need to take a MSF course if you've never ridden before. Then you'll have to save some money for repairs to the bike because it is highly likely that you will drop the bike, almost everyone does when they start out riding.

I'm not trying to scare you out of riding, its just imo its not a good time for you to buy your first bike yet.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 12:59 AM

I bet you sound alot like his mother. If you think a Sv 650 is to much bike for a first bike, I have to ask what did you start with as a first bike?

My first bike experience was before you were born. I didn't take lessons on how to ride or have my mother hold my hand. I bought a NEW bike and I road it! I didn't go on a computer motorcycle forum and ask for help. I have given him quite different advice than what I had done learning to ride.

If you read my post which you quoted I told him to get a beater bike to learn on, did you miss that?

A suzuki SV 650 is a great first bike so is a suzuki gs500 or a kawasaki ex250, a ex500 would be a great starter bike. Any enduro would also be a great first bike.

So your question of my trying to get him killed is outrageous. Maybe you needed more help learning to ride than BeLess will.

BeLess you are old enough to kill yourself if you want to but if you are like most of us who made it past 21 and lived you will do fine with a motorcycle. Remember to wear a helmet, gloves, a good leather jacket and boots that cover your ankles when you ride.

In Florida you don't have to have insurance on a motorcycle that doesn't have a lean (a loan) from a bank. You also don't need to wear a helmet while riding.

BeLess go to a parking lot and ride around to get the hang of the bike. Start approved motorcycle road coarse and get your license endorsed for a motorcycle and be an organ donor. Enjoy your new (to you) motorcycle.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:24 AM

Honestly, having a motorcycle as your primary (or only) source of transportation is kind of inconvenient.

However, if you are going to do it my recommendations are: Kawasaki Ninja 500R (aka EX-500), Kawasaki Ninja 650R, or a Suzuki SV-650. Either new or used.

Also, budget a minimum of $800 for riding gear. (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, pants) Be sure to take the MSF course- best way to get your license.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:05 AM

Here's the problem: A bike is not going to be an economical mode of transportation for you, particularly a sportbike, especially if you have to finance it. In addition to the gear you need, maintenance costs on motorcycles are high. Tires aren't cheap and you go through them fast. Oil and filter are more expensive than for a car. But the killer - insurance. Get some quotes, you will probably find that at your age and riding experience, particularly with no MSF cert, you will probably pay several hundred dollars a month in liability alone, and you'll need full coverage if you finance.

And bikes are limiting. You aren't riding if it's snowing or thunder storming outside, and few of us actually like to ride in the rain, for no other reason than it's a big mess. And you can't haul much crap around.

Honestly, you're better off buying a cheap, used economical car as a daily driver, and saving up some cash for a bike. I'm not trying to be your mom or your dad talking here, but research those costs and the consequences before you dive in.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneducs View Post
I bet you sound alot like his mother. If you think a Sv 650 is to much bike for a first bike, I have to ask what did you start with as a first bike?

My first bike experience was before you were born. I didn't take lessons on how to ride or have my mother hold my hand. I bought a NEW bike and I road it! I didn't go on a computer motorcycle forum and ask for help. I have given him quite different advice than what I had done learning to ride.

If you read my post which you quoted I told him to get a beater bike to learn on, did you miss that?

A suzuki SV 650 is a great first bike so is a suzuki gs500 or a kawasaki ex250, a ex500 would be a great starter bike. Any enduro would also be a great first bike.

So your question of my trying to get him killed is outrageous. Maybe you needed more help learning to ride than BeLess will.
whoa... didnt mean to rub you the wrong way. And yes I did read about you saying get a beater, but I also read about a gsxr1000 and looked at the RR you recommended. I didnt know if you were serious about those 2 suggestion or just being sarcastic. I'm not trying to be his mom or anything, he asked "What to do.... Need Advice"

and to answer your question, I learned on a 250 nighthawk. I put enough miles to learn basic controls then bought an f4. I'm looking at a second bike right now which just so happens to be a 06 sv650. As far as me needing help to learn how to ride, I'm always open to it. I've only clocked in a little over 8k on my bike so I still consider myself a beginner. Now that I think about it, I want to keep learning and learning and learning how to ride even though I've put in 1xx,xxx miles. But thats just me.

Quote:
BeLess you are old enough to kill yourself if you want to but if you are like most of us who made it past 21 and lived you will do fine with a motorcycle. Remember to wear a helmet, gloves, a good leather jacket and boots that cover your ankles when you ride.
And youre right he is old enough to kill himself if he wants to, but just barely. He's 18 if you missed that part.

but again to BeLess, in my opinion, its probbly not a good idea for you to buy a bike just yet. Like zxrider said, its pretty inconvenient as a primary vehicle.

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD

Last edited by r3yrey; 02-12-2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Strength and Honor

I recommend reading the stickie threads at the top of the New Riders forum.

And welcome

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 AM

This topic has been covered a zillion times in the forums. My two cents are this... I started on a 600 and haven't had any problems but I recommend a GS500, SV650 or the new Ninja 250R which is a really nice bike; I've seen one at a motorcycle show in Cleveland recently. Might get one myself as a daily runabout.

If you need some sort of main transportation don't get a bike. They're great for fun on nice days but you can't carry stuff and you can't ride it when the weather is bad like the others said. Plus it could get stolen fairly easily if someone wants it enough. You could get a car for a few thousand... I gave my 11 year old car back to my dad when I got a newer one recently and he'll probably sell it for $2000 and it still works just fine. Point is, do something that's realistic now. Maybe a car and a Nina 250! Bikes will only get faster and sexier the more you wait.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUrid3r View Post
This topic has been covered a zillion times in the forums. My two cents are this... I started on a 600 and haven't had any problems but I recommend a GS500, SV650 or the new Ninja 250R which is a really nice bike; I've seen one at a motorcycle show in Cleveland recently. Might get one myself as a daily runabout.

If you need some sort of main transportation don't get a bike. They're great for fun on nice days but you can't carry stuff and you can't ride it when the weather is bad like the others said. Plus it could get stolen fairly easily if someone wants it enough. You could get a car for a few thousand... Point is, do something that's realistic now. Maybe a car and a Nina 250! Bikes will only get faster and sexier the more you wait.
+1

And bikes are a much bigger investment than you think

Last edited by ochoa0042; 02-12-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode