CBR600RR or R6 -- CBR1000RR or R1? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

CBR600RR or R6 -- CBR1000RR or R1?

Ok guys, I'm trying to buy a new bike as I sold my last CBR600 3 years ago to buy a house. House is now bought and I'm in a position to jump back on the saddle, but I don't know what to do get. Please help.

To be honest I started out looking at the 2006/2007 Triumph Sprint ST's since everyone says they rule for sport touring, and I was somewhat interested in considering this, but those bastards appearantely don't sell their bikes! Can't find any on craigslist. Sorta gave up on that. My price range is about $7,500 max.

So the first question I need to answer is 600cc or Liter? I'm 6'2" and 250lbs, so I'm going to use some of that power just by my size :P

I've got about 2.5 years and 8k miles on a 600cc worth of experience using it as almost a daily commuter before...

I was considering a 1000cc bike because I felt the 600's were a TAD under powered a few years ago for my weight. Also they all seemed smaller than the 1k frame wise, so the 1k bikes 'fit' me better and I hear they're much easier to commute around on due to the ample power even down low. I hear you don't have to change gears so often to have power to move.

Once that question is answered, since I know you guys have all driven these bikes before, which one do you prefer, and why?

My main usage will be on the streets, daily commutes, some twistys, and occasionally some longer trips up to 400 miles a day for fun. (I did that on my old 600 and I was a bit sore, but I could do it).

Help me out guys =)

Thanks in advance,
Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 AM

From the description, sounds like you want a liter. There is no difference frame wise, so the fit is much the same, but having to shift less is a definite advantage on the street, and while touring.
Myself, I got a liter, but want a 600. I'm more interested in track than street, and I'd rather go fast based on my skill, than horsepower. Besides, its easier to learn on a bike that doesnt overwhelm you.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 AM

You could get a 2007 CBR 600RR for about $7500. That's a lot of go for the cash. But I understand what a 600 feels like to deal with everyday in the city, in fact, I was looking into getting an RC51 to commute on but decided I would want a 1000RR instead since its more common. That's not for awhile, though.

I know it sounds kind of lazy not wanting to shift so much on a 600 but I installed a Factory Pro Evo star shift kit on my F4i and shifting is much smoother and quicker. Its much less of a chore now. Also doing a few power mods makes it a fairly decent machine to play around on everyday. Just a thought.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
IMO a liter bike is overkill. My 636 still scares me with how fast I can make it go and I'm nowhere near reaching this bikes full potential yet. Any supersport bike these days will be more than enough to shatter your local speed limits very swifty. The size and weight of the 1000's vs the 600's are getting closer and closer these days.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweetryan View Post
IMO a liter bike is overkill. My 636 still scares me with how fast I can make it go and I'm nowhere near reaching this bikes full potential yet. Any supersport bike these days will be more than enough to shatter your local speed limits very swifty. The size and weight of the 1000's vs the 600's are getting closer and closer these days.
Overkill for what though? Overkill for pure need for speed, sure. I wasn't looking at a literbike for this particular reason though, I'm no squid. I was looking at it more for the fact that it seems the common statement on these bikes is that they're much better for commuting and small trips, less whiny/buzzy at speed due to the lower RPM range you can drive them in etc.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 07:08 AM

For the purposes you cite, I think the liter would be the way to go. In fact, I'd take it even a step further and look for an open class GT type bike- a used Hayabusa would be a good choice. Or maybe a CBR-1100XX. Plenty of power, massive torque, decent handling for the twisties, and comfortable enough to easily do those occasional 400+ mile days.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 AM

The CBR 1100xx Blackbird is somewhat rare but a great sport tourer. So is the VFR Interceptor but you might want something with more power and sportiness.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
8k miles in 2.5 years as a daily commuter? You must not have much of a commute. I'd be inclined to say that the 600 would be the wise choice, and you can easily get one that is very lightly used for that price. I trust you have gear, or have allotted money for that too?

As far as ergos, I personally don't think there is a huge difference between 600s and liters, but I haven't spent a lot of time on liter bikes. Have you considered an SV-1000? It's got a ton of torque, and I have a friend who weighs more than you do that has one, and he's never complained about its size before.

If you're level-headed, which you seem to be, I doubt a 1000 will pose a problem though. Go to a dealership, sit on a few, and see what's comfortable for you. Good luck!

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 08:55 AM

I ride a Honda 1000 and am 5'10 and 180. I am not a big person but prefer the fit of the litre bike. And you just cant beat the torque! I actually feel the 1000 is easier to ride at the speed limit because I never have to search for the powerband like on a 600. The 1000 just has useable power everywhere and that is why it feels easier to ride in traffic!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesht View Post
8k miles in 2.5 years as a daily commuter? You must not have much of a commute. I'd be inclined to say that the 600 would be the wise choice, and you can easily get one that is very lightly used for that price. I trust you have gear, or have allotted money for that too?

As far as ergos, I personally don't think there is a huge difference between 600s and liters, but I haven't spent a lot of time on liter bikes. Have you considered an SV-1000? It's got a ton of torque, and I have a friend who weighs more than you do that has one, and he's never complained about its size before.

If you're level-headed, which you seem to be, I doubt a 1000 will pose a problem though. Go to a dealership, sit on a few, and see what's comfortable for you. Good luck!
Yeah, I've been sitting on the liter bikes mostly since I already have the prior experience with the 600's. Also yes, my commute was only 10 miles lol, so the rest of the mileage was just cruising around for fun and couple two-three hundred mile + trips.

So I like the feel of the R1 and CBR1000rr, hence the title (and the Sprint ST but I can't find any for sale in my price range).. My second question is still not really answered by anyone yet, which is, what are the characteristics of each bike? Is the CBR tamer and easier to handle? With the R1 the more racey and track friendly bike? Thats sort of the way it always worked for the 600's if I remember.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode